Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC Article - Mom, daughter kicked off Air Canada plane, not told they're banned

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC Article - Mom, daughter kicked off Air Canada plane, not told they're banned

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by RangerNS
and with regards to selling the second ticket, I cannot recall the last time that an airline or an OTA failed to ask for my passport information when buying an international ticket. The timing of whether this gets to Air Canada of course is in question, but again AC security should be on the alert for a re-purchase given the presumed ban, which unless in writing is anyone’s guess if it’s real.
To use AC as an example, www.aircanada.com asks for your passport information but it is not required to complete the booking.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skybluesea

EC 261 does make accommodation for banned passengers, but Air Canada will have to have demonstrated in writing the passenger was informed before they purchased the ticket for the second flight.

this does not appear to be the case, which is why I side with the passengers at least on the second leg… If Air Canada has a legitimate reason for banning these passengers all power to them.
We only know the passengers claimed AC had not notified them. Which might just mean that they were not aware of a notification. As fsr as I know the only contact information airlines have when you book is what to enter in the system, i.e. contact phone and/or e-mail. Credit card requires billing address but it appears for safety reasos they no longer store credit card info. So, if these folks either had no cell phone service while overseas, or did not check e-mail, they would not have been aware of a ban even if AC had notified them.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Stranger
We only know the passengers claimed AC had not notified them. Which might just mean that they were not aware of a notification. As fsr as I know the only contact information airlines have when you book is what to enter in the system, i.e. contact phone and/or e-mail. Credit card requires billing address but it appears for safety reasos they no longer store credit card info. So, if these folks either had no cell phone service while overseas, or did not check e-mail, they would not have been aware of a ban even if AC had notified them.
Pretty sure when I do a tx I’m asked for a “number/email we can contact you at while travelling”. Expect these pax would have supplied such info. AC actually called me once to say my flight was delayed several hours.

The reality is, when travelling, I might give a hotel # and a call won’t necessarily reach me.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bartolo

Pretty sure when I do a tx I’m asked for a “number/email we can contact you at while travelling”. Expect these pax would have supplied such info. AC actually called me once to say my flight was delayed several hours.
But then, that only works if you have a cell phone and a plan that woks when overseas. Plus, AC gives you a choice between a phone No. and e-mail. If you gave an e-mail adfress but did not check the e-mail you would not know. Also these folks might not be as technology-literate as most FF types.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bartolo

The reality is, when travelling, I might give a hotel # and a call won’t necessarily reach me.
I agree. However, if the passengers provided electronic contact information, but AC only informed them of the ban via a paper letter to their home, then I don't think that would be reasonable nor sufficient for AC to avoid liability.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
But then, that only works if you have a cell phone and a plan that woks when overseas. Plus, AC gives you a choice between a phone No. and e-mail. If you gave an e-mail adfress but did not check the e-mail you would not know. Also these folks might not be as technology-literate as most FF types.
Well, the banned passengers claim they have called AC several times and AC refused them to help. So the speculation about the cell phone or email access in Romania is sort of useless. AC agents had the chance to notify the passengers about the ban right there.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Well, the banned passengers claim they have called AC several times and AC refused them to help. So the speculation about the cell phone or email access in Romania is sort of useless. AC agents had the chance to notify the passengers about the ban right there.
That would require reservation agents have access to the information. Which may well be against confidentiality rules. And perhaps too much to expect from AC. OTOH, erhaps they would not help because of the ban. In which case, issue becomes one of communication, either they were not clear, or just not understood? But again, so far we have only heard of one side of the event, and stories are inevitably self-serving.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
That would require reservation agents have access to the information. Which may well be against confidentiality rules. And perhaps too much to expect from AC. OTOH, erhaps they would not help because of the ban. In which case, issue becomes one of communication, either they were not clear, or just not understood? But again, so far we have only heard of one side of the event, and stories are inevitably self-serving.
I believe you're clutching to straws here. AC had the chance to communicate the ban and apparently it didn't take it. As far as the story being one sided, nobody is preventing AC from publicizing their side of the story. And yet we hear nothing at all from AC on the matter.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 27, 2020 at 10:01 pm
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by canopus27
I agree. However, if the passengers provided electronic contact information, but AC only informed them of the ban via a paper letter to their home, then I don't think that would be reasonable nor sufficient for AC to avoid liability.
Agree. I routinely don’t give a cell # because I typically get foreign SIM cards and don’t know the # until I buy it. Even if I have a number, half the time I don’t hear the ring because it’s in my bag or there’s no coverage.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
The customer billing address is not credit card data. The only think that is credit card data is the unmasked credit card number and the number on the back of the card.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA
The daughter has made many posts on fb — I do not understand why someone posts so much to social media if they may be making a formal complaint or legal action

On 1 August said that Air Canada refused to rebook them— original flight was the 31st.

Another post from the daughter:

No we bought the ticket through an agency because we asked them to check if we were blacklisted or anything like that. I had a feeling they would take it to an extreme the second they said they are calling the police with no warning. The travel agency said they checked our folders and there was nothing we were clean.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 27, 2020 at 9:59 pm
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would a camera without voice recording be helpful in this case? Doesn't it mostly revolve around what was said between the daughter and one FA, plus mother and the FA, French speaking businessman and the FA, plus (much further back) daughter and the parent of child in daughter's seat.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would a camera without voice recording be helpful in this case? Doesn't it mostly revolve around what was said between the daughter and one FA, plus mother and the FA, French speaking businessman and the FA, plus (much further back) daughter and the parent of child in daughter's seat.
It would be evidence. "The flight attendant decided to kick us off after one 15 second interaction" (as an example, not this case) could disproven easily, for example.

Here, I remain suspicious of of several actions; the daughter only looking at her assigned seat, not engaging the alleged child's owner could be shown, or pausing for engaging.
​​​​​​

Etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.