Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Routes do you wish AC flew?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:08 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
YYZ-RTM in a 220 would work very well for me.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
You've mentioned the flights times for AC to/from HKG in another thread and how the time wasn't convenient for you.

I am sure it is not for the convenience of those who want more time in any city. Among the many reasons TPACs, TATLs and such are scheduled the way they are are due to connecting pax, negotiated slot times and so much more.
While airlines do indeed time their departures to conform to the connections and availability of slot times you allude to, in a heavily O&D business market such as HKG, airlines certainly consider the convenience to their customers. An evening departure time from Hong Kong allows a full day of work prior to going to the airport, which is convenient and necessary for many the premium customers in that particular market.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marco Polo
looks like YVR is very underserved looking at the wishlist
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Originally Posted by westkirby
Desperate for AC to run YYZ-MAN in winter (or YYZ-BHX or YYZ-LPL) - amazed that the rest of England north of London with population of around 25 million (i.e. North + English Midlands) is judged to only merit a summer AC rouge service to MAN...
I hear you on this. I guess AC judges that the business case isn't there, but it still seems bizarre to me that there's nothing up-island year round at all. Not Manchester, not Edinburgh...nothing.

In winter I will generally prefer the connections through DUB [AC + Aer Lingus] or KEF [Iceland Air] to having to connect at or travel overland from LHR.
Yeah, on my upcoming trip to Manchester I'm doing YYZ-BRU-MAN to avoid LHR as well.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marco Polo
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I would vote for SQ on YVR-SIN but then that would be OT and get my post deleted.

So I will pretend that I would prefer AC on this possible future route instead.
I'd vote for the one with AQD AQM and easy connections in SIN on this route

Again, as I discussed in another thread, if AC want paying J flyers (the ones that sustain these flights) they will have to utilize the flight times to get red-eye flights (like CX865, AC33, AC37 BR9 etc) ex-YVR. Good luck trying to win over SQ passengers from SIN so they'll have to focus on North America passengers and their schedules. Wasting essentially 2 full working days to get to Asia ex-YVR is a blasphemy

Last edited by jackmeister; Aug 16, 2019 at 5:49 pm
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Disagreed. Singapore airlines thinks otherwise. They've launched more daily flights. And United is doing a seasonal to CPT.
Fair enough. I'd be more than happy if I were wrong.

But IMO those are two very different routes / markets:

1) The ecoomic feasibility of a 5300-6000 miles flight is very different from an ULH flight of ~8000 miles

2) There are only a handful of flights between Asia and South Africa (and if you exclude mainland Chinese airlines, options are really rather limited), so capacity growth isn't overly surprising. Compare that to North America - South Africa which literally has many dozen routing options on more than a dozen airlines.

3) This isnt about whether there is sufficient demand (there certainly is), but whether there are sufficient pax willing to pay a premium for a non-stop flight / whether there's a business case for AC to fly to JNB/CPT non-stop vs. just feeding pax to SA via its TATL JV partners

But I'd be very happy if AC found a way to make that route work.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by jackmeister
I'd vote for the one with AQD AQM and easy connections in SIN on this route

Again, as I discussed in another thread, if AC want paying J flyers (the ones that sustain these flights) they will have to utilize the flight times to get red-eye flights (like CX865, AC33, AC37 BR9 etc) ex-YVR. Good luck trying to win over SQ passengers from SIN so they'll have to focus on North America passengers and their schedules. Wasting essentially 2 full working days to get to Asia ex-YVR is a blasphemy
I have to agree with you on this. I really love those red-eye flights even if I'm not flying across the Pacific for work.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Completely off topic but you triggered a question that I don't know the answer to and I'm confident dozens of people here do.

Why couldn't the YOW pax get off?
No gate and need to clear Customs. And what about checked luggage?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by marke190
It'd be nice to see AC operate at least one regular service to Iqaluit (YFB) with YYZ-YFB or YOW-YFB being the most likely. Given that YYZ-YFB is 1456 miles a CR9 would seemingly fit the bill.
Jazz flew this route many years ago. Unfortunately, they cancelled it due to lack of demand.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by jackmeister
looks like YVR is very underserved looking at the wishlist
I'd echo many of the routes ex-YVR described above...but the thread specifies that we list the routes we wished AC operated, and I'd rather fly to IST on TK, SIN on SQ, ZRH on LX, etc.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: TK *G
Instead of new route, new flights on existing route can also be interesting. For example, late night departures to Asia from both YYZ and YVR, and more day trippers from YYZ to Europe.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I'd echo many of the routes ex-YVR described above...but the thread specifies that we list the routes we wished AC operated, and I'd rather fly to IST on TK, SIN on SQ, ZRH on LX, etc.
But... I'd rather fly YVR-IST/ZRH/SIN on AC than on the currently -nothing-.

edit: seasonal edelweiss flight to ZRH doesn't count.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by songsc
Instead of new route, new flights on existing route can also be interesting. For example, late night departures to Asia from both YYZ and YVR, and more day trippers from YYZ to Europe.
Interesting. Given the strict curfews at many (Western) European airports, such flights would need to depart in the early morning.

E.g.
depart YYZ 7.00a.m.
arrive FRA 9.00p.m.

To me such a flight sounds like pure hell.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Interesting. Given the strict curfews at many (Western) European airports, such flights would need to depart in the early morning.

E.g.
depart YYZ 7.00a.m.
arrive FRA 9.00p.m.

To me such a flight sounds like pure hell.
Good point. I brought this up as many people prefer the LHR day tripper over the overnight flights. I forgot that anywhere west of UK requires at least 1 additional hour in the air and another hour from time zone difference.

Departing at 7am is ok for me, as I have done quite a few 7am YVR flights. But I totally agree that it’s much less attractive than the 9am departure time of AC868.
flyquiet likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 17, 2019 at 8:24 am Reason: Off topic posting
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:49 pm

YYJ - SEA
Jasper2009 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.