FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   How is Air Canada in dealing with lost (then found) luggage + stolen items? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1982853-how-air-canada-dealing-lost-then-found-luggage-stolen-items.html)

grandgourmand Aug 13, 2019 3:41 pm

How is Air Canada in dealing with lost (then found) luggage + stolen items?

So were flying YYZ-YUL-IAH-EZE (wife and I in J). The first leg was delayed, and the ended up rerouting us back to YYZ to catch the YYZ-SCL-EZE, which was efficiently handled on the ground in YUL.

But our luggage failed to arrive in EZE. Dealt with local AC staff, they explained the $100 first day $50 second day (USD) per diem per passenger to restock some necessities. We maxed out because clothes in Buenos Aires is expensive (e.g. $10 for a pair of thin crappy socks).

The added twist, we were transiting to CPC for some skiing. Due to schedules we didn't get our luggage until three days after our arrival (thankfully, you can rent ski clothes in CPC).

Then when our luggage arrived, I quickly noticed our stuff had been "violated" by, I'm guessing the EZE baggage handlers. We are missing, i'm guessing about $1000 (maybe more) of stuff.

So questions:
1) Is AC stingy on the per diem stuff? We went over US$150 each...if you add in the ski clothes rentals, toiletries. We actually shopped responsibly. But I'm not going to go to crazy lengths to find deals when on vacation.
2) About the stolen stuff...we have either receipts or 'recent order' images from Amazon. And for other things (e.g. my wife's beauty producst that I just learned costs a lot) we don't have any.
3) Pursuant to #3...does it go by replacement value or price paid? Some things I bought in the past are more expensive today, largely due to USD, or other factors.

Thanks in advance for any advice, input or personal experiences.

GG

canadiancow Aug 13, 2019 3:45 pm

What I learned is that the Montreal Convention sets limits, so it doesn't matter what AC tells you. You can go above $150 as long as it's reasonable.

Your upper limit is going to be around $1600 USD. I don't know whether that's per person or per bag.

I don't know what kind of evidence they'll want, or how hard you'll have to fight.

flyquiet Aug 13, 2019 3:52 pm

If your wife shops cosmetics from Sephora, past purchases can be called up on the customer profile.

grandgourmand Aug 14, 2019 5:41 am

Thanks CC and flyquiet.
The Sephora receipts are needed actually.

Annoyed that AC chose to move luggage on their own planes, which cost an extra day (no daily flight). Ostensibly to have greater control? Well, it didn't work out that way

anyhiw, only a few material items. We are safe and having a good time.