Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Changed My Itinerary from Domestic Mainline J to Premium Rouge, What Should I Do?

AC Changed My Itinerary from Domestic Mainline J to Premium Rouge, What Should I Do?

Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:15 am
jbb
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *Gold

I'm booked on a domestic business class flight from YEG-YUL-EWR in December. I received a notice of change of itinerary today. At first I thought it was just a slight change of timings, as is usual for these notices, but then I noticed that my YEG-YUL flight has been changed to Air Canada Rouge and I'm seated in Premium Rouge (its an A319). I've never flown Air Canada Rouge and don't have any experience of the Premium Rouge product. On the A319/20/21 series of aircraft is premium rouge comparable to domestic business class? Should I call Air Canada and try to get on a different routing with mainline business class? What are my options here and what would you suggest?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
You can hunt the threads here which go from saying that Domestic Premium Rouge is literally worse than being waterboarded to my opinion that its not any more different than the difference between ML J in a 320 vs an E170 (except for the arguably better iPad). The food & drink is identical.

Ignore the people who try to compare ACr J to Emirates first class bungalows. I expect them to show up anytime.

It is a significant enough change you could get it changed. If YEG-YUL was pods, I would get it changed.

Recliner to recliner, I'd not waste the phone call.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:00 am
jbb
Original Poster

Thanks @RangerNS for the thoughts.

I've never had to change a ticket due to an itinerary change and there is a roughly comparable (time-wise) AC mainline routing going through YYZ instead of YUL. Would AC change my ticket to that for free or are my only options to stick with the Premium Rouge via YUL or cancel and book with another carrier/re-book with AC?

EDIT:

The YEG-YYZ flight would be mainline A321 which seems to have pitch and width of 37", 21" according to the website. A319 rouge seems to have pitch and width of 36" and 21". So it seems like mainline would get me an extra inch of seat pitch plus the built-in screen on the seat.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by jbb
Thanks @RangerNS for the thoughts.

I've never had to change a ticket due to an itinerary change and there is a roughly comparable (time-wise) AC mainline routing going through YYZ instead of YUL. Would AC change my ticket to that for free or are my only options to stick with the Premium Rouge via YUL or cancel and book with another carrier/re-book with AC?
You might get an obstinate agent who refuses to help you, HUCA. Generally, reports are that they are generous in changing things if an already booked flight has been Rouged.

Unless you care about the extra ~160 miles, routing through YYZ would be marginally superior. I'd probably call in that case, but it would be a 5 minute call to the SE desk for me.
jbb likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I think the cabins are very comparable and I prefer the ipad over the seatback IFE- it had more current movies!
tcook052, YYC3722 and jbb like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Plumber
I think the cabins are very comparable and I prefer the ipad over the seatback IFE- it had more current movies!
Agreed. If it was me I'd just leave it because non Signature Service J and Premium Rouge are mostly the same. But if you call in they should reroute you.
Plumber and jbb like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:28 am
jbb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS

Unless you care about the extra ~160 miles, routing through YYZ would be marginally superior. I'd probably call in that case, but it would be a 5 minute call to the SE desk for me.
I've never transferred through YUL (only O/D travel a long time ago). Are the YYZ and YUL US/Transborder MLLs comparable? Also, is the US immigration process comparable between the two airports?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by jbb
I've never transferred through YUL (only O/D travel a long time ago). Are the YYZ and YUL US/Transborder MLLs comparable? Also, is the US immigration process comparable between the two airports?
The YUL Vichy CATSA is (or was a few weeks ago) in a seemingly temporary closet, but it goes quickly. US CBP is the same. I've never been to either at "problem" times, though.

Lounges? YUL TB is smaller, but I've not been to it packed. Same selection. Or at least, not wildly different in the slight inconsistencies you have in any DOM or TB lounge.

I transit both frequently. Security/customs/lounge play 0 factor in which I choose.
jbb likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:52 am
jbb
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Sounds like its all broadly comparable and only relatively minor differences. I'm leaning towards just sticking with the Premium Rouge routing via YUL as it gets me into EWR 45 minutes earlier and this way I get to try something new by transiting through YUL (been through YYZ many times).
RangerNS likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by jbb
The YYZ and YUL transborder lounges are both comparable in that they are mediocre at best.

YYZ is a bit better going DOM-US because I find the Global Entry process better in YYZ - the YYZ US immigration agents take your form and wave you through, the YUL ones tend to like to play 20 questions with you even though you have Global Entry / Nexus. YUL is better going US-DOM because the OSS process is better with Nexus machines and no bus; you can be at your domestic gate in 10 minutes max with no waiting around.

You've made the same choice I would have.
jbb and YYC3722 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
What about changing to YEG-YVR-EWR and getting the Dreamliner
jbb likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:12 am
jbb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
What about changing to YEG-YVR-EWR and getting the Dreamliner
Would love the lie-flat seats, but would not love the 06:30am departure from YEG!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'd be tempted to switch for the better catering, but only if the times work.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by jbb
Would love the lie-flat seats, but would not love the 06:30am departure from YEG!
I actually flew that exact route once a couple of years ago, going from customer to customer, but I spent the night before in the YEG in-airport hotel so the early departure was less of a shock. The upside besides a life-flat on the 788 is that in the winter EWR can be a mess (also in the summer if there are thunderstorms, but anyway...) and I had a meeting there I could not miss so I decided YVR-EWR was a safer bet in terms of slot priority being a wide body on a longer flight. YMMV ;-)
yyz_atc_qq likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:15 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd be tempted to switch for the better catering, but only if the times work.
Is AC not doing PLH catering on the rouged PLH routes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.