Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Protests disrupts AC flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by fafafayfay

** EDIT - not sure why I can't upload my picture, any advise? **
@fafafayfay
See steps here. This is from my desktop browser. If you upload from a phone, the images are often full res, so you may want to re-size beforehand

Step 1

Step 2

Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:10 pm

thanks 24left , strange how I followed your exact same steps before and it says image could not be uploaded but trying it again now I was able to attach the following, thanks!

View from drop off across, see line up

After lining up for 10 min, an officer is assigned and you are parked at a slot where they will check boarding passes etc.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:15 pm

The Government of Canada has updated its travel advisory for Hong Kong today to include a special warning of increased possibility of large demonstrations and violent incidents on September 28, 29 and October 1, 2019.

Full report here: https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/hong-kong
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

On arrival to HKG a few days ago, our AC 7 parked at gate 64. I like the long walk after a long flight, but it was also a strange experience to see almost emptiness between the gate and immigration and no crowds at luggage carousels. Same when exiting where you would normally have friends, family etc greeting arriving pax. There were a handful and a few drivers picking up hotel pax.

Knowing the process was now different for departure, my experience was similar to the photos above. There are security lines outside the terminal. I was asked to show AC BP and passport and then proceeded inside. The line moved quickly and of course once inside, it was also rather empty. There were no lines at security or exit immigration and from curb to airside took less than 5 minutes, which has never been the case in the past. And of course, I found it odd to see a relatively empty departure terminal.

In conversation with AC crews, they stay near the airport certain nights and in town other nights and they have been given advisories as to where they should or shouldn't go. Staying at hotel in town would be impacted if roads are blocked. The situation seems pretty fluid and the crews seem to be managing well, and that is just my observation.

When I arrived I was told the MTR had shut down 7 lines and the A'EX no longer stops in Kowloon.

I think there has been some impact on AC loads and of course only they know for sure - and if cargo can fill the bottom, perhaps a few less pax above might not matter. It was interesting to see only 3 pax in PE on our AC 8. J was not full.

Still, the new security procedures in place at HKIA allow AC and other airline crews and pax to get in and out.

There is a massive amount of construction going on at the airport - work on the new 3rd runway as well as many construction projects including at least 1 new hotel and I was told a mall. Not sure. I counted at least 20 cranes between Asia World Expo and the airport terminal, projects that were approved long ago.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
I thought AC would drop prices a bit via HKG because of this. .tried booking a ticket YYZ-KUL but AC was $8k+ as opposed to $5k for CX
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by karachi
I thought AC would drop prices a bit via HKG because of this. .tried booking a ticket YYZ-KUL but AC was $8k+ as opposed to $5k for CX
Connecting passengers are largely unaffected, that's probably why there is no price drop. But $8K for YYZ-KUL still seems way too much given how many competitors are there offering services at what quality and what price.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by karachi

AC will cancel flights before they drop prices. IMHO. If they have a certain percent of the projected cabin loads filled at the fares they want, some empty seats won't matter - especially if they are able to ship more cargo for which they can potentially make more money. I'm sure it's a fine balance.

Also, AC had a bunch of those 15% of Base Fare "sales" recently and one at 20%. That might have been enough of an incentive to move the needle a bit. They've been discounting PEK and PVG routes for some time.

Since AC 15/16 seems to be pretty full, no need there. YVR is where there are some challenges. There are different demographics on both routes and AC offers 40J on YYZ but only 28J on YVR. Many believe AC was taking a hit last year which is why they switched aircraft on YVR-HKG to the B789.

Anyway, there are those who know more than me how unpredictable the situation in HKG can be and I think so far, AC OPs has done a good job ensuring the safety of the crew and pax.

BTW, an interesting insight was offered to me on the recent trip - many pax on my flight were headed to Shenzhen. It seems flying AC from YVR to HKG and then taking the ferry is a better route for many and a better price. The cnx is only an hour and it can be tight depending on the arrival time. Also, ferry can't take baggage so pax use a service that collects their bags at HKG and ships then onward.
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
While looking at a PY TPE fare last night, I noticed it allowed one free stopover in Asia. Anywhere except HKG. That stopover was several hundred dollars.

If they're having trouble filling PY on these flights, that seems like a really easy restriction to lift. I'm not convinced I'd want a HKG stopover at this point, but the price difference means I'm not even considering it.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by 24left
BTW, an interesting insight was offered to me on the recent trip - many pax on my flight were headed to Shenzhen. It seems flying AC from YVR to HKG and then taking the ferry is a better route for many and a better price. The cnx is only an hour and it can be tight depending on the arrival time. Also, ferry can't take baggage so pax use a service that collects their bags at HKG and ships then onward.
When I was working in China, that was always my preference (but took shuttle bus instead of ferry as ferry times weren't always convenient). Internal flights in China were significantly cheaper than flying from Hong Kong, especially First or Business Class, made it worthwhile for where I was heading and often not too much time difference. Sometimes I would stay in Shenzen for a different experience as well.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Flying in and out of Hong Kong on AC

Hi all, anyone here recently went to Hong Kong via AC? I'm scheduled to fly out next weekend for 3 days for work and given the unrest I've been told to reschedule my trip. Any thoughts among the FTers here?
GT
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:29 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
Hi all, anyone here recently went to Hong Kong via AC? I'm scheduled to fly out next weekend for 3 days for work and given the unrest I've been told to reschedule my trip. Any thoughts among the FTers here?
GT
I’m scheduled to leave tomorrow Friday on AC 8 and I will let you know.
One thing is for sure, Central has been paralyzed since Monday with huge protests and roads blocked.
I live in Hong Kong and I’ve never seen anything like this before.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:35 am

The Airport Express is still running and the MTR Island Line is pretty much functional, so while there are lunch-time protests by office workers, things are still business as usual underground.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by hkskyline
The Airport Express is still running and the MTR Island Line is pretty much functional, so while there are lunch-time protests by office workers, things are still business as usual underground.
That's good to know. I'll be flying AC to HK in about a month. I'm a little worried I'll be stuck there if things get worse.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:51 am

GT
Latest on CBC....
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1641793603961

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hong-kong-1.5358937

The situation is changing by the minute. If I were you, I'd postpone the trip. Not worth it and tear gas is not one of the must try quintessential items!

If you decide to go, I would suggest that you register your trip with Global Affairs.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
GT
Will let you know as well. Scheduled to fly out tomorrow from EWR, flight load is low...middle and back of the plane is pretty much empty.

I've checked in with my friends living in HKG and they're saying its still OK for now but precautions have to be made (e.g., not wearing black and stuff).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.