Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Protests disrupts AC flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Correct me if I'm wrong but can Canadian passport holders not get a Visa on arrival at PEK and it would be good for something like 48 hours? I thought I had read that somewhere. If so, then at least somewhere in mainland china would be an option to divert...
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by trek604
Correct me if I'm wrong but can Canadian passport holders not get a Visa on arrival at PEK and it would be good for something like 48 hours? I thought I had read that somewhere. If so, then at least somewhere in mainland china would be an option to divert...

Excellent wiki in the FT thread

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
Thanks. Not a good idea to diver to mainland then lol.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

UPDATE

Update - August 13, 2019

Due to the ongoing incidents in Hong Kong, customers may experience airport congestion and longer travel times at Hong Kong International Airport (HKG).

Air Canada encourages customers flying from Hong Kong International Airport to arrive at the airport at least 6 hours prior to their scheduled departure time to allow for extra time to check in and go through the security screening process before their flight.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...hong-kong.html

Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
6 hours for check in ? Eek!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: TK *G
Are AC counters open 6 hours before flight? IIRC the counter opens 3 hours before AC16 departs, then closes, then opens again 3 hours before AC8.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
To those offering that AC just reroute through another city or add additional flights: Not Possible.
China tightly controls who gets in or out and there is no way that China will allow AC to reroute to another Chinese airport, especially not now. There is a possibility of taking the ferry to Macau and flying to another AC hub. Canadians who travel to China should not expect assistance, nor sympathy from anyone should they have problems. As per the Government of Canada travel advisory;
China - Exercise a high degree of cautionin China due to the risk of arbitrary enforcement of local laws.
Hong Kong - Exercise a high degree of caution in Hong Kong due to ongoing large-scale demonstrations.
Due to political considerations and the lack of courage, Canada will not make a more forceful statement, so travelers should read between the words and steer clear until China changes its position on Canada.
24left likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

HKIA press release posted a short while ago

Airport Authority Hong Kong Obtains Interim Injunction to Restrain Interfering with the Proper Use of the Airport

(HONG KONG, 14 August 2019)

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/m...e/2019/pr_1348

Watching this from earlier today was a little frightening. I can't imagine almost 850 AC pax for the 2 flights trying to get through this to clear security. (Note the pax who said she just wants to go home and the man after her, holding his BP)

video clip in tweet

Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
To those offering that AC just reroute through another city or add additional flights: Not Possible.
China tightly controls who gets in or out and there is no way that China will allow AC to reroute to another Chinese airport, especially not now. There is a possibility of taking the ferry to Macau and flying to another AC hub. Canadians who travel to China should not expect assistance, nor sympathy from anyone should they have problems. As per the Government of Canada travel advisory;
China - Exercise a high degree of cautionin China due to the risk of arbitrary enforcement of local laws.
Hong Kong - Exercise a high degree of caution in Hong Kong due to ongoing large-scale demonstrations.
Due to political considerations and the lack of courage, Canada will not make a more forceful statement, so travelers should read between the words and steer clear until China changes its position on Canada.
First, issues with China and with HK differ. As it happens, I am jut back from China, and I don't think there is a major safety issue with China, at least if you exercise a minimal degree of carefulness, such as not getting into political discussions. This said, I would agree with people who have decided not to go and spend money in China in the current political context; I still felt I needed to go because of previous stuff which I did not think I should escape from. However my wife this time declined to come with me even though her presence might have been helpful. I invoked family issues, but I am not sure my hosts bought into it... Anyway, if things continue going in the same direction, odds are we won't go to China again any time soon.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mapleg
6 hours for check in ? Eek!
+1 !!!

Originally Posted by songsc
Are AC counters open 6 hours before flight? IIRC the counter opens 3 hours before AC16 departs, then closes, then opens again 3 hours before AC8.
Just hanging around, waiting for check in to open wouldn't be much fun at all. If one could check in then get to the lounge, that would at least be bearable (though 6h in the lounge is a very long time).
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Published: 12:26am, 15 Aug, 2019 (Hong Kong)

Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by TemboOne
Surely this would be foolhardy in the extreme, even in the rather unlikelihood that China would give the necessary clearance. Passengers, crew and aircraft could be stranded indefinitely. For that matter, how many Canadians travelling on CANADIAN passports showing their place of birth as "Hong Kong" or "Victoria, Hong Kong" or even "Hong Kong BCC" would feel safe upon being landed unscheduled in mainland China
Not saying you don't know your stuff, but isn't this funny? Why would China have to give clearance? You mean, Hong Kong isn't the same as China?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Stranger
As it happens, I am jut back from China, and I don't think there is a major safety issue with China, at least if you exercise a minimal degree of carefulness, such as not getting into political discussions... Anyway, if things continue going in the same direction, odds are we won't go to China again any time soon.
I too was in mainland China not too many weeks ago. It never even crossed my mind to be nervous. I'd still get on a plane and go there today, except my employer just put it (and HK) on the travel ban list for Canadian employees yesterday. Interestingly, the ban is not in effect for US employees.

Any other data points from people that have seen their employer do some kind of ban of this kind?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Asia Miles
Originally Posted by trek604
Airport seems to be somewhat back to normal now. But if similar situation do arise again...

Another option is taking the ferry from Hong Kong to Macau (no visa needed for Canadian), then in same ferry terminal you could actually check in at the ferry terminal (akin to "in-town check in"), take the ferry, and the ferry will take you straight to HK airport airside (Skypier).

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/t...-transfer.page
flyquiet likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I too was in mainland China not too many weeks ago. It never even crossed my mind to be nervous. I'd still get on a plane and go there today, except my employer just put it (and HK) on the travel ban list for Canadian employees yesterday. Interestingly, the ban is not in effect for US employees.

Any other data points from people that have seen their employer do some kind of ban of this kind?
Going on this trip was entirely my choice. My employer wanted me to sign a release of responsibility. Which I just ignored, and went. And they don't seem to have noticed... (Not sure if it is their proerogative to force me, or the lawyers just tell them to try and most folks let themselves be bullied...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.