Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn Your Wings (EYW) 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
For those of us aiming for the top 10, it's a zero sum game, so if 11 people are gunning for it, there are increased costs all around, and someone loses. But I can easily see how this may be beneficial to AC.
And if 15 are gunning for it ...

So perhaps a few people spend a lot and lose because they fail to crack the top 10, and a bunch more spend a fair bit and lose because they fail to crack the top 30. And perhaps there are a few Mr. and Mrs. Prairies out there (or even more than a few). If all that works, maybe AC does okay out of it. I'm still skeptical.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by PB53x11
Yes, but ... the finance guy inside me looks at this and wonders who is "losing".
Easiest answer: Other airlines, as customers shift their flying away from them and onto Air Canada.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
For those of us aiming for the top 10, it's a zero sum game, so if 11 people are gunning for it, there are increased costs all around, and someone loses.
Funny you should use that example
canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Mr. Prairie realizes he's one extra work trip away from crossing some EYW threshold, so convinces his boss that he should go visit a client in YQR. While there, he secures a deal.

Client gets something out of it.
Mr. Prairie's company gets something out of it.
AC gets an extra trip booked.
Mr Prairie gets some more miles.

There isn't necessarily a loser there.

For those of us aiming for the top 10, it's a zero sum game, so if 11 people are gunning for it, there are increased costs all around, and someone loses. But I can easily see how this may be beneficial to AC.
If his original/main motive for convincing his boss to travel there was for his EYW gain, that may be a bit unethical.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Would it be a safe assumption that the flight cutoff date for EYW 2019 will be before Christmas?

I need to book a flight down south on Boxing Day, and wanted to book now (and not wait until Sept 9th).
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Would it be a safe assumption that the flight cutoff date for EYW 2019 will be before Christmas?

I need to book a flight down south on Boxing Day, and wanted to book now (and not wait until Sept 9th).
Before the start date was announced, I assumed it would be the first Monday after Labour Day through the second or third Sunday in December. Then I realized the third Sunday is the 21st, so I revised it to simply the second Sunday (14th).

I was right on the start date, and I think I'll be right on the end date. They've never run it over any of the big travel holidays. I'd say there's zero chance of a Dec 26 flight counting.
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: status-free
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
I think that would be a very safe assumption. If we were to organize a pool, I'd randomly pick Dec. 11 as a likely cutoff date.
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Last year I missed out on a lot of wings due to bad IT at AC.

Seriously wondering if I want the botheration of following up on so many segments.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
Last year I missed out on a lot of wings due to bad IT at AC.

Seriously wondering if I want the botheration of following up on so many segments.
I did not participate last year because of their incompetence in the 2017 EYW. I likely won't play this year either.
expert7700 and YYC3722 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Earn the Back In Service badge when you fly on a 737 MAX aircraft. This badge may be earned multiple times. Each badge is worth 2000 wings.
douglasr, D582, marke190 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Earn the Back In Service badge when you fly on a 737 MAX aircraft. This badge may be earned multiple times. Each badge is worth 2000 wings.
Not me. They were a no go before the crashes.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Would they include free travel insurance? Payable to our next of kin? Oh, wait. That won't work....
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Will those 2000 wings move themselves?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I wasn't actually sure if this was real or not.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC SE/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, ALL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
My EYW name has been chriscol in past versions but this time I am going to go with a new name (and no, it is not going to be chriscol1)
Anyways, I have been pondering the question and wanted to share a few of the discards, in case anyone else is looking for a new name themselves.
ysaflyer
55yroldsuperelite (possibly trademarked, I think)
top30orbust
top10thatisnuts
top10lasttime
toomuchyxuyyzyow
notenoughyyzlhr

If you have any suggestions, please share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.