Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn Your Wings (EYW) 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I am holding off on so many bookings right now because of this. Cutting it close on a couple of them. With my luck it will bring me zero benefit in the end.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:06 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They do. But it now rate limits me
You must really be slamming that thing. Too bad you can't just suck the whole thing down into a 'local' DB.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
You must really be slamming that thing. Too bad you can't just suck the whole thing down into a 'local' DB.
The API takes a date and route. There are 857 routes and ~90 days. 77k API calls takes a long time if you're not parallelizing them

I may look into other options, but this used to run in an hour. I may actually have a local copy of the entire schedule from other means, but I wanted to start with what works.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The API takes a date and route. There are 857 routes and ~90 days. 77k API calls takes a long time if you're not parallelizing them

I may look into other options, but this used to run in an hour. I may actually have a local copy of the entire schedule from other means, but I wanted to start with what works.
https://aws.amazon.com/cloudformatio...ion-templates/
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:59 pm

Yes, the real question is that given AC has decided they don't want me hitting it 200 times/second, should I really go out of my way to get around those restrictions?

I'm well aware that I COULD do this with AWS, but:
1. It will take a non-zero amount of my time to learn and implement that, whereas I'll have the vast majority of the schedule by the time the rules are posted if I just keep trucking along at low speed.
2. I don't want to piss off AC

p.s. AC please send me an accurate machine-readable schedule. I have an inaccurate one.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
200 queries per second seems quite unreasonable (though for most billion dollar companies it wouldn't be a denial of service attack unless you added a several more zeros).

can baseline schedule info be taken from Experflyer or ITA?

once a list of all AC fight #s is known, EF could spill the days per week it operates.. which might limit the search from 60 days to something less.

hmm.... does your Amex Platinum come with Concierge/personal assistant service?

Last edited by expert7700; Sep 4, 2019 at 6:22 pm
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
200 queries per second seems quite unreasonable (though for most billion dollar companies it wouldn't be a denial of service attack unless you added a several more zeros).

can baseline schedule info be taken from Experflyer or ITA?

once a list of all AC fight #s is known, EF could spill the days per week it operates.. which might limit the search from 60 days to something less.

hmm.... does your Amex Platinum come with Concierge/personal assistant service?
Okay realistically it was 60 per second, but I can easily set that threshold to anything. But right now I'm doing 1/second.

EF doesn't permit anything like this, and scraping ITA to this level would not be easy either.

Don't worry. I'm good. Which means you're good
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
For the top 10 or even top 20, what is the (average) spend on past EYWs?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I wasn't brave enough to ask but am wondering too
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: status-free
I have no idea what the average spend is, only what I spend. And I think like most people who do this, I don't want to share the details. If my spending seems low, a bunch of people will jump in and I'll have a harder time winning; if my spending seems high, I'll get a couple of hundred people splaining to me how I should optimize it by learning to write code.
canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by biglinguist
I have no idea what the average spend is, only what I spend. And I think like most people who do this, I don't want to share the details. If my spending seems low, a bunch of people will jump in and I'll have a harder time winning; if my spending seems high, I'll get a couple of hundred people splaining to me how I should optimize it by learning to write code.
I recall reading some posters' spend amounts in past EYW threads.
For some, it's not about optimizing, but purely winning. For others, it's the nerd game of optimizing. In the end, this whole thing is a game that people spend "needlessly" on, IMHO.

Aside from that, I would be a willing participant, if the timing is right for me.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: status-free
I recall reading some posters' spend amounts in past EYW threads.
Oo! I haven't, and wouldn't mind seeing it.

For some, it's not about optimizing, but purely winning. For others, it's the nerd game of optimizing. In the end, this whole thing is a game that people spend "needlessly" on, IMHO.
True that. "Need" is a fairly flexible concept, anyway. Based on conversations I've had with fellow contestants, I suspect some of them lose money on the thing.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by biglinguist
Oo! I haven't, and wouldn't mind seeing it.

True that. "Need" is a fairly flexible concept, anyway. Based on conversations I've had with fellow contestants, I suspect some of them lose money on the thing.
Wouldn't any participant lose money?

Unless you're hinting that some game it so well that AC gives them money.
Bohemian1 and Yhztraveller like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
I'll wait and see what the contest looks like next Monday, but I do want (need?) to do a mileage run to keep SE for next year, so it may make sense to combine the two.

I am curious on the actual AQM people in the top 10 accumulated during the contest period??
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: AC S100K, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
I am curious on the actual AQM people in the top 10 accumulated during the contest period??
If you go to the leaderboard -- https://earnyourwings.aircanada.com/en/leaderboard -- you can see the "distance travelled" for the various participants. And since Economy Basic and Standard fares are excluded, that means all the miles travelled were on Flex or better meaning they earned 100% (or more) AQM for that distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.