Wiki Posts
Search

Earn Your Wings (EYW) 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Cow - is it the experience? The pure love of boarding small aircraft multiple times daily? The competitive juices? I mean really...why the hell do you people go through this?
I did EYWv1 on my own. I did a day and a half on my own in v...6?

Never again.

It's fun to enter a competition with friends, flying around with up to 7 people all doing the same thing, chatting about everything.

At one point, it ensured I'd make SE (I'm already qualified for next year though). It pushes me towards MM.

And I get a TON of value out of the miles. Not just monetary, but enjoyment. I easily get about $40k-$50k out of the miles, and I spend a lot less than that to participate, even factoring in my time off work.

On another matter, November 1 has ~252 schedule changes since I downloaded it ~5 days ago. That's super annoying.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I guess you also download prices for Flex+ in order to minimize spend vs time vs wings?

Your log says you're looking for discount codes, what do you mean by looking? People with almost expiring unused ones?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Already 16k people registered

no one has earned wings yet (aside from sing up ones)
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy
(aside from sing up ones)
Hey Brian Wilson, I didn't know you got bonus points for singing your application

Little Dash Eight
You don't know what I got
theBeachBoy likes this.

Last edited by smallmj; Sep 11, 2019 at 5:08 am Reason: if I make a joke based on somebody else's typo, I'd better fix mine
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
On another matter, November 1 has ~252 schedule changes since I downloaded it ~5 days ago. That's super annoying.
I wonder if that's a consequence of the MAX grounding, and all the downstream ripples that result due to the small plane schedule changes that AC is seemingly applying on an ongoing basis.

If that is the cause, and constant small schedule changes are just the routine now -- that would make it very risky to book a typical EYW schedule with many connections measured in minutes.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:44 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
And just for fun, in theory Amadeus will be going live right in the middle of all this. At last according to our very own thread on the topic.

I think additional criteria for seriously pursuing EYW is a tolerance for change and the ability to sort things out in near real time. Back in the day, we'd call those attributes of a true Road Warrior.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Sep 11, 2019 at 9:45 am Reason: Ownership is important
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:47 am

I guess you also download prices for Flex+ in order to minimize spend vs time vs wings?

Your log says you're looking for discount codes, what do you mean by looking? People with almost expiring unused ones?
I don't download prices. How would you even do that? I test millions of itineraries per second, and with different fares, routing rules, married segment logic, etc., I don't even think it's possible.

A day off work costs me more than the flying for the day. Cost is basically irrelevant. It's never worth it to optimize for anything other than time.

And yes, people with codes. Though I don't care if they're almost expiring.

I'm completely rethinking my whole approach to this EYW. The rules have made it... strange. Back to the drawing board I suppose.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AC SE/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, ALL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
I do not expect to see you and bovine in the YHZ MLL this year!
Definitely not.
As it happens, here I am today in the YHZ MLL The port is good. and the soda fridge looks pretty stable after last year's fix.
Off to Europe (and not on a 737MAX from Halifax, he said bitterly, alluding indirectly to rolling future schedule changes.)
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:46 pm

@codfather, moving this here.

Originally Posted by codfather
When is the cutoff?

The two flights that get me P25K are on Oct. 11th and 15th. I am guessing I will receive an email shortly after the AQS/AQD posts for the flight on the 15th?
From EYW (emphasis emphatically not mine):

Participants must register for the Promotion and book their flights between September 9 and October 18, 2019, at 19:59 ET, and fly between September 9, 2019, and November 29, 2019, inclusively, in order to be eligible to participate in this Promotion and earn Wings and Badges.
You need to register by October 18, and you need to have status to register.
codfather likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
@codfather, moving this here.

From EYW (emphasis emphatically not mine):

You need to register by October 18, and you need to have status to register.
Hmmm...

So I need $360.80 AQD to hit $3000 spend, and I will get $363 AQD for the flight up to YYR (same for the flight back, but that won't make any difference). The segment on the 15th should post by the 17th, which will get me to 25 AQS.

Looks like it is going to come down to how fast AC sends me the email! I can only hope they are quick, I would love to get into EYW even if it is only for half the contest.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:26 pm

I think it's much more likely that the 15th segment posts the 18th, and your status updates the 19th.
codfather likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:00 pm

I think it's much more likely that the 15th segment posts the 18th, and your status updates the 19th.
Fantastic luck I have! Love it...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .995 MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Already 16k people registered
2,700 super elites registered. Wow
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:19 pm

A dime a dozen...

Maybe they should also give Zone 1 shirts to the Top 100 SEs in EYW! canadiancow fire up the printing press!

The gate lice will spread apart like when Moses parted the Red Sea...
douglasr likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Yeah, but I'm in first, so screw the rest of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.