Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Intl to Domestic Transfer at YYZ on AC. 1 hr?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K

Hi Everyone

Flying DUB to YYZ then onto YXE. Due to scheduling changes I currently have a 9 hour stopver at YYZ! There is a flight that leaves 1hr and 5 mins after my scheduled arrival from DUB. I have a few questions:

1. Is DUB under OSS?
2. I am assuming this is within MCT at YYZ.

However, most importantly, does anyone have experience as to whether this is doable? No checked luggage and traveling PY so will get off the plane fairly quickly.

Any advice/thoughts greatly appreciated.

YXEG
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:35 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YXEGeordie
Hi Everyone

Flying DUB to YYZ then onto YXE. Due to scheduling changes I currently have a 9 hour stopver at YYZ! There is a flight that leaves 1hr and 5 mins after my scheduled arrival from DUB. I have a few questions:

1. Is DUB under OSS?

However, most importantly, does anyone have experience as to whether this is doable? No checked luggage and traveling PY so will get off the plane fairly quickly.

YXEG
It's doable, but getting a seat maybe a problem.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by YXEGeordie
Hi Everyone

1. Is DUB under OSS?

YXEG
DUB is OSS. You can clear customs/immigration upstairs in YYZ and then take escalator down to the bus to the D gates.

INTL-DOM MCT is 75 minutes at YYZ, so that is not a legal connection and you won't be able to book it. However, with a seat at the front (which you have with PY) and barring a big backlog at customs/immigration you can easily make it; I do this all the time for YOW connections but for that I always have free standby on the next flight because Rapidair. However if your ticket to YXE is in B (which it will be if you are in PY (O/N) from DUB to YYZ) then you should be able to boot it through, go to the gate and then SBY and then hopefully get on the earlier flight to YXE.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Folks

Much appreciated. I am indeed booked into B. I already have an upgrade to J for that last leg, but I would be willing to forego that to avoid 8 hours in the MLL. I will boot it when I get off the flight from DUB and see if they can get me onto the 2PM departure.

Again, much obliged as usual to all the knowledgeable folks on here.

YXEG
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
See if they can put you on standby in DUB. You need to be added to the list before T-45 if you want a good chance of clearing. Being confirmed into J on the later flight will put you ahead of everyone in Y on the list.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the great tip. Will do.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Definitely doable--even easier with Nexus. You will be closer to the front of the plane being in PE and hopefully no long lines even if you don't have Nexus.

I have gone from plane at international arrival through customs/immigration to domestic gate at YYZ in 20 minutes (with a bit of a puff) but I have Nexus and always in front cabin so use Nexus or Preferred security lines (whichever is faster). Always worth a shot. I think I have only ever missed once going on standby international to domestic (ie. not being able to get on a flight since it was full. Not: I don't fly YYZ-YXE)
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Agree I have done it in 20 minutes when the stars all aligned with nexus. Worse case was 45 minutes.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:32 am

There is still no Nexus in the YYZ OSS connection area.

You can obviously still go downstairs and use Nexus and then go back upstairs and re-clear security in YYZ if you want. However my OSS experience lately has been very fast customs & immigration upstairs and buses seeming to not be waiting around forever downstairs and I am pretty sure you're faster most of the time going that way instead. Obviously when they put Nexus machines in the OSS area and replace the bus with a secure corridor it won't even be close (think YUL), but even without a Nexus machine I can usually make it from arriving plane to domestic gate in less than 30 mins.
ffsim likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
There is still no Nexus in the YYZ OSS connection area.

You can obviously still go downstairs and use Nexus and then go back upstairs and re-clear security in YYZ if you want. However my OSS experience lately has been very fast customs & immigration upstairs and buses seeming to not be waiting around forever downstairs and I am pretty sure you're faster most of the time going that way instead. Obviously when they put Nexus machines in the OSS area and replace the bus with a secure corridor it won't even be close (think YUL), but even without a Nexus machine I can usually make it from arriving plane to domestic gate in less than 30 mins.
Agreed, OSS at YYZ — even with the bus — has improved considerably over the past few months. There was no lineup when I arrived this morning and was stepping off the bus less than 20 minutes after deplaning at a high-F gate.
ridefar and knotseh like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim
Agreed, OSS at YYZ — even with the bus — has improved considerably over the past few months. There was no lineup when I arrived this morning and was stepping off the bus less than 20 minutes after deplaning at a high-F gate.
Doing EWR-YYZ-SFO on Sunday, there was a fairly considerable line there. But I didn't wait around to see how fast it was moving.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
that's a very tight connection with an airline that has horrible on time performance. the good new is your connection flight is bound to be delayed.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Family (Wife, Daughter, and me) used OSS ITD and it took us 16 minutes to get from doors open on AC7505 @ gate E67 to the D24 desk for AC155. Phenomenal service from everyone at AC YYZ staff.

Nexus kiosks would be a great addition, but I see lack of space being an issue. Also it was super helpful to have the old paper declaration card where in I can write "Clothes" beside my daughter's purchase.

What YYZ needs is more gates. The new 5 gates for narrowbody is going to be used up very quickly. the Fam really could have used a remote hardstand with bus to terminal operation. There were no gates for our arrival and we spent 30 minutes plus on runway 33R.

I haven't posted much on FT this past while. The downturn in Western Canadian Oil meant that this year was the first time in three years the family took a vacation together. The changes I have seen in 3 years are awesome. Family checkin lanes (didn't use but great to have families moved over to their own lane), YYC domestic self service bag drop is truly remarkable, Dreamliner hard and soft product, improvements in customer service training. The new mobile app, OSS ITD, etc. Some of these improvements have been 20 years in the making to realize the dream. We are truly living the frequent travel dream right now.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Doing EWR-YYZ-SFO on Sunday, there was a fairly considerable line there. But I didn't wait around to see how fast it was moving.
Wandering off topic, but for fun I counted and I have transited US/INTL to YOW at YYZ specifically 17 times so far in 2019, plus several more at YUL and YVR. A couple of those YYZ INTL arrivals were not OSS, but of the 13 that were I only skipped the OSS procedure at YYZ once that I can recall when it looked like a gong show for whatever reason. Compare that to 2018 where me skipping OSS was probably more like 50% of the time. So my statistical sample is not huge but not tiny either; I can objectively say they've improved.

The net for the OP is that yes, even without Nexus, you can make it gate to gate INTL to DOM in well under an hour using OSS. Best of luck catching the earlier flight, I know it always makes my day when I do and I'm usually only saving an hour getting back to YOW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.