"Same Day/Standby" change

Old Aug 7, 19, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
"Same Day/Standby" change

I am looking at a ticket that goes RAK-BRU-YYZ-YOW. The lowest priced itinerary has a flight arriving in YYZ in the early afternoon but then departure on the final leg to YOW is the next morning. In these situations, can one do a same day change and/or stand by to a connecting flight the same afternoon as the arrival flight to YYZ rather than staying overnight?
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
I am looking at a ticket that goes RAK-BRU-YYZ-YOW. The lowest priced itinerary has a flight arriving in YYZ in the early afternoon but then departure on the final leg to YOW is the next morning. In these situations, can one do a same day change and/or stand by to a connecting flight the same afternoon as the arrival flight to YYZ rather than staying overnight?
I haven't done a SDC, but I have emailed the YYZ concierge when I know my TATL is on time or early and asked for standby on an earlier flight to YOW.
--
13F
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
I haven't done a SDC, but I have emailed the YYZ concierge when I know my TATL is on time or early and asked for standby on an earlier flight to YOW.
--
13F
But presumably on the same day, which was not the question.

My suspicion would be no.
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Depending on your fare class, worst case it may cost you $150 to change the last leg to the same day, then standby or confirm.

As long as the fare is the same, there won't be any upcharge other than the change fee. You just have to do it after your first leg
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post

Noted. Could very likely be treated differently.
--
13F
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:56 pm

Programs: AC SE*100K

The answer is no based on my experience.
Old Aug 7, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold
I'm looking at an SDC situation which for me would be a first.

I'd like to take an earlier DCA-YYZ flight then I am scheduled for and subsequently an earlier YYZ-YVR flight. To do the change now is expensive.

Do I just show up hours early to DCA and ask to get on the earlier flight? If that works, do I go see the concierge in YYZ and ask if they can get me home earlier? I'm on an eUpped B fare for both legs.
Old Aug 7, 19, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope View Post
I'm looking at an SDC situation which for me would be a first.

I'd like to take an earlier DCA-YYZ flight then I am scheduled for and subsequently an earlier YYZ-YVR flight. To do the change now is expensive.

Do I just show up hours early to DCA and ask to get on the earlier flight? If that works, do I go see the concierge in YYZ and ask if they can get me home earlier? I'm on an eUpped B fare for both legs.
On a B fare yeah, and you can just do it over the phone for the DCA leg and then over the phone or just go see an agent (if you can find one) in YYZ.
Old Aug 7, 19, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
On a B fare yeah, and you can just do it over the phone for the DCA leg and then over the phone or just go see an agent (if you can find one) in YYZ.
Or do the whole thing over the phone with the concierge, all at once. No need to wait until YYZ arrival.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 7, 19, 7:30 pm

Or do the whole thing over the phone with the concierge, all at once. No need to wait until YYZ arrival.
Yeah good point. I am used to YYZ-YOW where I just figure it out when I get to YYZ, since I can beat the MCT. With YYZ-YVR you might as well standby right away.
Old Aug 7, 19, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Be prepared for the conditions you saw when you booked and the conditions they tell you when trying to change to differ. And no, I don't think it's by design, just a mix between poor IT, nobody really caring, inconsistency, lack of respect for customers, arrogance and cluelessness. Just part of corporate clture. Which apparently never changes. Even through bankruptcies.
Old Aug 16, 19, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I had that P fare ticket for which rules said that same day airport changes were free. So I expected when checking in online I would be offered the option of changing to an earlier flight, but no such option did show. I called the concierge, and was told the fee is CAD 100. Mentioning the fare conditions took me nowhere. So I just paid, and recently filed a complain with customer solutions. They did reimbursed the fee, told me that they would get IT to look into why the option was not offered. However, here is where it gets interesting: apparently the concierges are no longer at the airport... In other words, getting the concierge to confirm on an earlier flight does not qualify as (free) same day airport change. I suspect they just made this up asa silly excuse for an inconsistency between the rules I saw and the rules the concierge saw. OTOH the person who called recognized that I should have been offered te option when checking in on line. Ultimately, my guess is that the whole mess stemmed from an IT issue that resulted from itinerary changes, nothing major just AC E90 flights getting replaced by regionals on E75 ones, but which led to fare rules getting messed up in their system. One side effect of these changes was that I was no longer getting access to "detailed fare rules" on aircanada.com. Perhaps the same happened at their end... Seems things are quickly getting too complex for their own good and they easily get messed up.
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That excuse is nonsense.

The central concierge call center may not be "at the airport", but they're working in airport systems and in the context of SDC, it counts.

I use the concierge for SDC all the time.
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That excuse is nonsense.

The central concierge call center may not be "at the airport", but they're working in airport systems and in the context of SDC, it counts.

I use the concierge for SDC all the time.
Obviously. Then, maybe since the concierges are more centralized and less and less at the airport, they are starting to forget? But eh, (1) they returned me the money, and (2) they needed an excuse, surely. Still, at the end of the day I suspect the actual fare rules got lost when they made changes to the itinerary. At least, after these changes, I was no longer able to access detailed rules. My guess, neither did the concierge, so she invented a $100 fee, which she more or less claimed as standard for P fares. Not sure why CAD 100 either, why not CAD 75, or USD100.
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

100 CAD is pretty typical for international P fares.

It's definitely free for every Canada/US P fare I've seen in the past few years though.

Search this Thread