Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Basic economy fare changes for compassionate reasons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hi all

I have a friend whose mum is in hospital in London with a very serious medical condition which has taken a turn for the worse. She has a ticket to fly over from Canada to see her on September 7th, however due to the urgency of the situation she may have to go sooner, potentially within the next few days. Her ticket on September 7th, but unfortunately it is a basic economy ticket which does not allow any changes. Does anyone know if AC will permit changes for compassionate reasons, and what strategies we can use when discussing it with AC? I assume she will be able to provide some kind of proof of her mum's situation from the hospital if that is required.

Thanks

Dave
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Honestly, it may be a case of HUCA and there may be an agent that will do it. However, I would keep expectations in check and assume they won't. AC (from what I have heard) is pretty strict on basic economy.

If your friend booked with a CC card with insurance built in, that could be a worthwhile call too

Best of luck to your friend and her mum
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Best wishes to OP and their family!

The airlines likely do allow for some discretion for changes in the case of missed flight due to traffic, or changes due death or serious illness.

For the purposes of discussion:

I think the flip side of this is that for every passenger buying basic economy, had they been given even a $10 option/upfare for bare bones travel protection, many would have still declined.

If the airlines collected $ for a communal "hat" to lower out of pocket costs for those with unfortunate situations, I suspect the hat would stay pretty empty.
5mm likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by expert7700
Best wishes to OP and their family!

The airlines likely do allow for some discretion for changes in the case of missed flight due to traffic, or changes due death or serious illness.

For the purposes of discussion:

I think the flip side of this is that for every passenger buying basic economy, had they been given even a $10 option/upfare for bare bones travel protection, many would have still declined.

If the airlines collected $ for a communal "hat" to lower out of pocket costs for those with unfortunate situations, I suspect the hat would stay pretty empty.
While there is no consistent delta from Basic to Standard, or a consistent price for "On Your Way" insurance, Air Canada already does offer levels of travel protection for about $50.

And since there are PAX who do buy "Basic" then, apparently, Air Canada was right on in providing a mechanism for even deeper barrel scraping.

OP: Air Canada has a compassionate pricing program. They tend to allow for emergency level travel at planned a month in advance prices, give or take, broad strokes.
​​​​​​
They are not competitive with long planned out discount trips. I'm sure I've seen reports of shopping around alternative carriers has turned up less expensive tickets for particular circumstances; AC is only being nice relative to their own list prices, not nice in any absolute sense.

The best your friend could hope for is being able to use the super discounted ticket value for a part of a slightly discounted ticket.
​​
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for the advice. She ended up purchasing a one-way fare on WestJet which was available for $450 and would enable to her leave tomorrow. We’ll figure out a way later to get her home, and potentially she can use the original fare in one months time in the hopeful case that her mum has recovered sufficiently in the next couple of weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.