Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Delayed/Lost Luggage going from Europe-US-Canada

Question: Delayed/Lost Luggage going from Europe-US-Canada

Old Aug 6, 19, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Delayed/Lost Luggage going from Europe-US-Canada

The two of us were on a flight from CPH, with an overnight layover in EWR, and then an AC flight to YYZ the next day. When I checked in my bags at CPH with SAS, they confirmed that the bags will be routed directly to YYZ if I wanted - and I agreed. I don't recall any other instructions from the flight attendants during that flight that would say otherwise. I did not attempt to pick up my baggage at EWR as I was not expecting them.

The next day, right when I boarded my AC flight (fairly early as I was group Z0), I asked the FA if my luggages made it, he said it should have, but admits he has no way to confirm.

At YYZ, neither of our bags showed up at the carousel 40 mins after landing, so I went to baggage assistance. They mentioned something about "me having to collect my luggage at EWR to hand it over to the Canadian customs". He created a case for me on worldtracer and mentioned that I can be reimbursed for reasonable expenses.

I booked everything with my AP miles and paid taxes/fees with my TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite in a business class award redemption.
Currently the WorldTracer shows "TRACING CONTINUES. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER"

Can someone point out where the incorrect information/communication occurred?
Will I actually be covered for expenses by AC if YYZ is my home destination? (TD already declined coverage since I am home already) I flew in the morning directly to go into the office from my condo downtown and most of my work clothes and toiletries are indeed in my luggage. My partner is in the same situation, with the addition of make-up supplies which are in her luggage.
I am fairly certain that the luggage got on the plane at CPH, as there were no delays or complications. My guess is it is somewhere in EWR since I did not collect it during my layover. Looking for some opinions here on what I can do in this situation.

Last edited by cennis; Aug 6, 19 at 1:26 pm
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
Originally Posted by cennis View Post
They mentioned something about "me having to collect my luggage at EWR...
That part is correct.

Originally Posted by cennis View Post
...to hand it over to the Canadian customs".
That part is wrong. You should have collected your luggage in EWR and re-checked it after US Customs when you exit.
--
13F
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
The real problem is your luggage probably never made it to US customs in EWR and now assuming it is still in EWR how do you get it through US customs and on to YYZ
Old Aug 6, 19, 2:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
Originally Posted by Srklaw7 View Post
The real problem is your luggage probably never made it to US customs in EWR and now assuming it is still in EWR how do you get it through US customs and on to YYZ
Airlines are able to do that on behalf of travellers, sometimes by having a waiver form signed by the pax.
Old Aug 6, 19, 3:08 pm

Thank you ..good to know. I am soon flying through FRA on the way to LIS I will be checking luggage through but am almost positive I have to claim it in FRA to get it through custom in Germany and then on to LIS.
Old Aug 6, 19, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC Tangerine FTTC
Originally Posted by Srklaw7 View Post
Thank you ..good to know. I am soon flying through FRA on the way to LIS I will be checking luggage through but am almost positive I have to claim it in FRA to get it through custom in Germany and then on to LIS.
No, you don't have to collect your luggage in FRA. You'll clear immigration at FRA, that's all. You'll receive your luggage at LIS.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unfortunately, it is 100% your responsibility to know and understand the customs & immigration requirements of the countries you travel to and through.

In this case, it was your responsibility to collect your bag at EWR, drag it through CBP and then drop it with AC after CBP. The through check means that you do not have to stand in line to recheck with AC, merely drop the bag, but it does not affect your legal obligations.

AC is within its rights to tell you that arranging for your bags to be freighted to YYZ at your expense is your problem. But, as a customer service gesture, it may choose to collect your bags at EWR (where they likely are) and send them to you for pickup at YYZ. If they are really decent, they will deliver to your residence.

There is no compensation for the delay and AC has no duty to reimburse for your interim expenses. You could nonetheless try submitting the receipts and see what happens. I would not hold my breath and I would not spend anything I would not spend if I knew that I would not be reimbursed for.
Old Aug 6, 19, 3:41 pm

Thank you for the heads up. That way I expect to have some lounge time.

Search this Thread