FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada pulling out of YYC-Puerto Vallarta? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1981838-air-canada-pulling-out-yyc-puerto-vallarta.html)

ETStar Aug 6, 2019 11:52 am

Air Canada pulling out of YYC-Puerto Vallarta?

The dates I look at in November and December are all zeroed out. Nonstops operate on Saturdays.

Adam Smith Aug 6, 2019 12:29 pm

It was scheduled as a 7M8. If the grounding persists that long, as is looking likely, they'll have to do something.

They could just substitute another aircraft, but that means re-allocating capacity from elsewhere and possibly dealing with an upgauge or downgauge. A rouge 320 (172 seats) is pretty similar to a mainline 7M8 (169), but mainline 320 is only 146 and mainline 321 is a big upgauge (190). Not sure of any range/payload issues that might exist on this route with the other types.

They may also cancel the flight and re-route people, although it's not like AC has a bunch of other capacity to PVR to soak this one up.

​​​Not really sure what the best option is. AC may not be either. By zeroing out the flight, they at least prevent more people from buying seats and making the problem worse while they figure out what to do.

MapleFlyer Aug 6, 2019 2:17 pm

I have a flight in late December booked on that route.

It hasn't been cancelled but it seems they have stopped selling seats - likely because it's scheduled to be operated by a 737 Max aircraft.

Right now, I have asked my agent to look at options as I am betting that Max takes longer than this to come back into service.

If the Max comes back into service quickly, this may mean some seat sales! If it doesn't, expect a very tight market over the holidays.

ETStar Aug 6, 2019 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by MapleFlyer (Post 31386688)
I have a flight in late December booked on that route.

It hasn't been cancelled but it seems they have stopped selling seats - likely because it's scheduled to be operated by a 737 Max aircraft.

Right now, I have asked my agent to look at options as I am betting that Max takes longer than this to come back into service.

If the Max comes back into service quickly, this may mean some seat sales! If it doesn't, expect a very tight market over the holidays.

I recall reading somewhere that Boeing would have to deal with the return to service of each aircraft as though it is a delivery, so I expect it to take long and not added back in as soon as the aircraft are cleared to fly again.

I have also noticed that in December AC is set to fly to PVR from YYC 3x per week, which I think is new. Otherwise, WS remains king on this route and in PVR from Canada for that matter, with up to 4x daily service from YYC, and even Kelowna, Comox, Victoria, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton getting flights to that Mexican destination.

ETStar Aug 7, 2019 4:31 pm

The flights are back online and loaded, no longer zero'ed out. They are on A320s now, mainline.