Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC staff at SFO allegedly asked a 12yr old to remove her hijab before boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC staff at SFO allegedly asked a 12yr old to remove her hijab before boarding

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dav662
It was informal for teenager.
“Tween” is not informal for teenager; it has a specific meaning which is distinct from teenager / teen.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Frankly, the notion that a baseball cap is equivalent to a hijab is ridiculous. A better analogy would be asking a bald woman to remove her wig in public. Or asking a Jewish man to remove his Kippah, or a Sikh to remove his turban.

Some cultural sensitivity is definitely in order in this instance. Whatever the reason for the GA’s request to remove the hijab (presumably a doc check), the girl should have been allowed to comply in private instead of in the terminal. AC should be prepared for this eventuality.

Plenty of airports manage to solve this issue without embarrassing or offending people. For instance, at DXB passport control has specific lanes for women wearing hijab or niqab. Those booths are enclosed by a perimeter of electronic privacy glass, providing women the opportunity to remove the veil or scarf for the immigration officer without being seen by the general public.
wrp96, rickg523 and YXUhomebase like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:36 pm

If headscarves had to be removed how do you think anyone flies around the Middle East? With Muslims as 15% of the world's population - people in hijab fly every day on all airlines including Air Canada.

There are women in hijab and men with turbans working as airport support, and as flight attendants and pilots. They don't have to remove their head coverings. Hell I guarantee there are hijabi employees of Air Canada who are going to be questioning what happened here as well.

This was racism.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:52 am
Original Member

While that's certainly possible I suspect that it's more a case of arrogance and ignorance.
dav662 and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by ffsim
Neither a baseball cap nor a cowboy hat constitutes religious headwear.
"My imaginary friend demands that I wear this headwear" isn't the most convincing argument for keeping it on, let's face it.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Not seeing a problem with this at all
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by mapleg
I still feel this is a tempest in a teapot.

Hey, 40 years ago a Florida cop gave me a hard time for no particular reason. Threatened me.....I managed not to go to the media about it....
I think that was before being a victim was everyone's ultimate goal in life.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
Frankly, the notion that a baseball cap is equivalent to a hijab is ridiculous.

Why? They are both head coverings. The meaning someone gives to their head covering is irrelevant.

That said, why not do away with ID checking at the gate. Solves a whole lot of issues, and boarding can be done faster, using automatic gates like is common at many airports.

Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by ffsim
“Tween” is not informal for teenager; it has a specific meaning which is distinct from teenager / teen.
Where did I say "tween"?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by KayVeeBee
Why? They are both head coverings. The meaning someone gives to their head covering is irrelevant.

That said, why not do away with ID checking at the gate. Solves a whole lot of issues, and boarding can be done faster, using automatic gates like is common at many airports.
Just because something is irrelevant to you doesn’t mean others feel the same. Muslims are a protected class under US federal law. Furthermore, it is permissible for a hijab to be worn in a passport photo, which makes it questionable whether or not the GA had a valid reason to ask for its removal in the first place.

That said, while I personally find no special significance in any religious headwear and custom, I do recognize that many other people don’t feel the same. Thus, their beliefs should be respected even though I don’t share them (or might even find them silly).
Twickenham, ffsim and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Not seeing a problem with this at all
You don't have a problem with AC violating their own policies and embarrassing a young girl?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:37 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Disclaimer: this is not a racist comment.

If someone can remove their hijab for an immigration or other security officer, why on earth can't they just remove it altogether? Especially if their passport photograph shows no hijab, so it clearly wouldn't be the first time they had done it. In some places in Europe, the wearing of the hijab is actually banned.

As indicated by others upthread, there is a very thin line between something required as a religious observance (like a turban or a nun's habit) and something required for cultural, social or functional reasons (like Islamic headgear, a cowboy hat or a crash helmet), and we run the risk of confusing the two, as do the wearers of these accoutrements.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1P

If someone can remove their hijab for an immigration or other security officer, why on earth can't they just remove it altogether? Especially if their passport photograph shows no hijab, so it clearly wouldn't be the first time they had done it. In some places in Europe, the wearing of the hijab is actually banned.

As indicated by others upthread, there is a very thin line between something required as a religious observance (like a turban or a nun's habit) and something required for cultural, social or functional reasons (like Islamic headgear, a cowboy hat or a crash helmet), and we run the risk of confusing the two, as do the wearers of these accoutrements.
My views and yours are just that - views/opinion. What matters here is whether AC violated the law or their own policies.
After that comes customer service, PR and everything else.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1P
In some places in Europe, the wearing of the hijab is actually banned.
Where is that? I have heard of various laws and restrictions of full face coverings, like burkas, but head scarves like the young girl was wearing are seldom banned. France has rules against wearing conspicuous religious symbols, including headscarves but also kippas and crucifixes, in French state schools and government offices but never on a flight, train, or other public places.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Originally Posted by 1P

I see flaws in your sentence...devout Muslim women wear Islamic headgear, it's religious observance, and not for cultural, social, or functional reasons. Therefore, please do not put Islamic headgear in the same bracket as you put for a cowboy hat, or a crash helmet. These are very different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.