Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
August 17 2019 YVR Do

*** They do not do weekend reservations, so there is no reservation. canadiancow will show up a bit early to secure a table. ***
Date: Saturday August 17th 2019
Time: 18:15
​​​​​
Confirmed
canadiancow
AmericanBovine
WaytoomuchEurope
DrunkCargo + 1
Nitehawk
keitherson + 1

Waitlisted
yerffej201
D582

I'm not coming, but feel the need to put my name in the wiki anyway
knotseh
Adam Smith
Print Wikipost

YVR Do August 17 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:22 pm

Yeah, but I need to be in Clearwater for 9am ... earliest YKA arrival on 17th is 1pm (but that's weird - hotels were stupid to the degree I'm staying at Sun Peaks on the 16th, so something's clearly up that weekend).

Anyhow, enough of my hijacking the thread - hope everyone has a great visit!! Betcha it'll be an earlier night though.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Count me in! will be nice to see a few familiar faces again
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by keitherson
Count me in! will be nice to see a few familiar faces again
I don't know if the wiki is a deliberate typo because SIN is fun, or just a regular typo
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't know if the wiki is a deliberate typo because SIN is fun, or just a regular typo
too much preflight drinking in the lounge fixed!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Current thought is Tap & Barrel - Olympic Village, which has lots of places to stumble to after. I'll wait until Monday to make a reservation in case anyone else throws their name on the list over the weekend.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Current thought is Tap & Barrel - Olympic Village, which has lots of places to stumble to after. I'll wait until Monday to make a reservation in case anyone else throws their name on the list over the weekend.
Great location, primarily because I live right beside it. Consider craft beer market too...
I'm working that night but would love to stop by if possible
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC, WN, Nexus
Sorry to miss the do and to miss meeting some of you. The 17th will be our last weekend in YVR for a while, and mrsmap and I will out for a dinner of our own. Hope to catch you another time.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

They don't do weekend reservations, but they said it shouldn't be an issue getting us seated, so I've adjusted the time to 1815 and I will show up around 1755 to secure a table. Please try not to get there before I do
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
So I'm cutting out of work early today and going to spend the evening in DC before heading to the DO tomorrow. Point is, I'm just going to start drinking now. Judge away!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Currently on 568 departing 1945.

Fly in Saturday instead
Are you still on 568? I had a last minute SFO trip come up and am tentatively booked on the same flight (waitlisted).
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JordanYVR
Are you still on 568? I had a last minute SFO trip come up and am tentatively booked on the same flight (waitlisted).
Yup. 1DF.

Waitlisted for the flight, or for J? It was J1 R1 earlier.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Yup. 1DF.

Waitlisted for the flight, or for J? It was J1 R1 earlier.
It was J0Y3 when I booked. In 12C for now.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

They're letting me fly the plane to YVR.

ksm06, D582, Bohemian1 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Didn't notice this thread earlier... I'm in YVR this weekend for a wedding and have quite a full itinerary already... but maybe some drinks at the end of the evening may work. Waitlisted (with low priority)
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:50 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
They're letting me fly the plane to YVR.
Air Canada Safety Policies Under Fire After AC568 Crash

Victims of today's crash of Air Canada flight 568 are calling for a thorough review of the airline's safety policies after it was revealed that the accident was caused by a frequent flyer piloting the plane at the time. Although no one was hurt, the aircraft, an Airbus A319, was a total write-off.

The aircraft was had nearly completed its scheduled flight from San Francisco to Vancouver when it attempted to land at Vancouver International Airport without its landing gear extended. The plane's engines and fuselage struck the tarmac and the plane slid down the runway until eventually coming to a stop.

It has since been revealed that an Air Canada frequent flyer, Scott Kennedy, was piloting the plane at the time. One of the pilots, speaking on condition of anonymity, said "He said he had flown in these planes hundreds of times and he could take care of it, we could take the flight off. We were pretty tired from the stress of not landing on a taxiway at SFO and he seemed pretty credible. We're supposed to give our Super Elites pretty much whatever they want, and the Airbus pretty much flies itself, so we thought 'what's the worst that could happen?', and we let him give it a shot."

An Air Canada spokesman stated that it was not the company's policy to let passengers fly their planes, no matter how frequently they may travel on the airline's aircraft. The company has opened an internal investigation in to the incident.

When informed that Mr. Kennedy had been piloting the plane at the time, passenger Steve Jones said "are you [expletive] kidding me?!? A passenger?!? I mean, I thought there must have been some catastrophic equipment failure or something to cause this. How can they have let that guy fly the plane?" Mr. Jones's outrage was shared by fellow passengers, who are demanding that Air Canada explain how an untrained passenger was allowed to fly the plane and clamouring for compensation beyond the 5% discount codes that have been offered by the airline.

Mr. Kennedy's blood alcohol level will be tested as part of standard post-crash procedures, however it is believed that Mr. Kennedy had not been drinking before the accident after a flight attendant revealed that she had refused to serve him his preferred beverage, a rum and Coke Zero, as Mr. Kennedy's preferred rum - Captain Morgan - is only available for sale to passengers in the economy class cabin.

Although Mr. Kennedy refused an in-depth interview, he was overheard to mutter "man, that was way harder than I thought" as police led him away from the scene.

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada has dispatched investigators to the site and a full inquiry is expected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.