FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Aeroplan business class flight to europe but economy on United. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1981738-aeroplan-business-class-flight-europe-but-economy-united.html)

dutchie26 Aug 5, 2019 4:54 pm

Aeroplan business class flight to europe but economy on United.

I just booked a business class flight to Europe with the last of my Aeroplan points. Connected to and from Winnipeg with United via Chicago. The transatlantic and European flights are all in business class. The United flights are both in Economy. I was told that there was no other option when booking but I see that there are Economy Plus seating on both flights. Is there anyway for me to access these Plus seats seeing as I booked in business class?
Also does anyone know if I will be able to access the lounges at the start of these economy flights due to the rest of the flights being Business Class?

Thanks

Jasper2009 Aug 5, 2019 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by dutchie26 (Post 31383210)
I just booked a business class flight to Europe with the last of my Aeroplan points. Connected to and from Winnipeg with United via Chicago. The transatlantic and European flights are all in business class. The United flights are both in Economy. I was told that there was no other option when booking but I see that there are Economy Plus seating on both flights. Is there anyway for me to access these Plus seats seeing as I booked in business class?
Also does anyone know if I will be able to access the lounges at the start of these economy flights due to the rest of the flights being Business Class?

Thanks

Welcome to Flyertalk! :)

1) Unfortunately UA won't assign you an E+ seat for free on a business class award (at least not as a matter of policy), though you should be able toselect an E+ seat for a nominal fee.
2) YWG has US pre-clearance facilities, and there is no lounge in that area, so it's a moot question.
3) On the return flight, you should be able to access a United Club by presenting both your boarding passes for both your arriving and onward flight.

dutchie26 Aug 5, 2019 5:43 pm

Thanks really appreciate that.

yyzgigi Aug 5, 2019 7:01 pm

Continue to monitor the United flight for available business class seats. United tends to be pretty stingy about releasing in advance, but at the last minute if the front is empty they often make rewards seats available. If it opens, you'll have to call Aeroplan to re-issue as United sees your reservation as economy regardless of the number of point you spent for it.

For lounges, you can use the Polaris Lounge in ORD on departure from your overseas flights and on arrival into ORD if you're coming in on a United overseas flight.

Stranger Aug 5, 2019 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by yyzgigi (Post 31383512)
Continue to monitor the United flight for available business class seats. United tends to be pretty stingy about releasing in advance, but at the last minute if the front is empty they often make rewards seats available. If it opens, you'll have to call Aeroplan to re-issue as United sees your reservation as economy regardless of the number of point you spent for it.

And for an Aeroplan reward, pay the change fee.

For lounges, you can use the Polaris Lounge in ORD on departure from your overseas flights and on arrival into ORD if you're coming in on a United overseas flight.
If this is correct, then UA has a more lenient policy with Polaris than AC has with the signature lounge, which is not accessible on business class awards.

canadiancow Aug 5, 2019 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 31383533)

That is not correct. There has never been a change fee for this.

Jasper2009 Aug 5, 2019 8:16 pm

Afaik UA only operates Y-only CRJs on the ORD-YWG route, so that's a moot point.

However, the fact that the connecting flight has no J/F cabin should make it easier to obtain lounge access (in case one has the misfortune of dealing with a grumpy UA agent)

yyzgigi Aug 5, 2019 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 31383533)
If this is correct, then UA has a more lenient policy with Polaris than AC has with the signature lounge, which is not accessible on business class awards.

It is correct and they do have a more liberal access policy. They provide access on departure for upgrades, rewards and paid business class on United and Star Alliance carriers for International long haul flights. They also give arrival access on United flights regardless of what you're connecting to.

dutchie26 Aug 5, 2019 9:13 pm

Thanks Everyone

arf04 Aug 5, 2019 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 31383676)
Afaik UA only operates Y-only CRJs on the ORD-YWG route, so that's a moot.

They run CRJs and Embraer 145s, so yes all Y as you point out. Those E145s are more fun than the CRJs in my view, though ever since they cancelled YQR-DEN/ORD I must confess to a certain nostalgia for the old SkyWest CRJs they ran out of here! So many places in the Southwest that are a PIA to get to now...

Bluehen1 Aug 6, 2019 11:58 am

This only applies if the ticket is in Polaris Business Class. If it's in regular Business Class, then you'll have access to the United Club.

Access rules here

canadiancow Aug 6, 2019 12:23 pm

Given that the only lounges in question are in ORD, operated by UA, and the passenger is flying UA, and this there will never be any J space on the flights, I'm questioning what this has to do with AC/Aeroplan.

Unless I should also start posting my AC flight reviews on the UA forum just because they're on 016.

rankourabu Aug 6, 2019 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bluehen1 (Post 31386070)
This only applies if the ticket is in Polaris Business Class. If it's in regular Business Class, then you'll have access to the United Club.

Access rules here

Business class is the shorthaul designation (like Chicago-Winnipeg). Polaris is for all longhaul international business class flights.

They had to add the longhaul requirement when too many transborder AC pax were using the Polaris lounges :D

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31386190)
Given that the only lounges in question are in ORD, operated by UA, and the passenger is flying UA, and this there will never be any J space on the flights, I'm questioning what this has to do with AC/Aeroplan.

Unless I should also start posting my AC flight reviews on the UA forum just because they're on 016.

Didnt the poster already secure J reward space on the transatlantics? Only remains in Y for ORD-YWG?
And apart from paying, the only way to get economy plus on these flights is for the OP to ask nicely. Otherwise, he/she can enjoy economy minus seating on UA, next to all the AC elites :)

Unfortunatelly for ORD-YWG, you cant waitlist for J award space using Aeroplan miles...