Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan does not want multiple accounts with same email?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan does not want multiple accounts with same email?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I already have a unique identifier - my aeroplan number. Why do I need another unique identifier in the form of an email address? I'm in the same situation as others, I manage two accounts and my partner only has a work email and I don't want AE stuff going there.
I don't think that's wise, but for reasons unrelated to this thread.
karachi and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffsim
Websites use email address as usernames all. the. time. and we shouldn't be shocked that Aeroplan is looking to make this change. I promise you the vast majority of Aeroplan members are more likely to remember their email addresses than their member numbers, and ultimately, that'll make using the Aeroplan / Air Canada website a more pleasant experience. And we all know it can use as much pleasantness as possible.
1. That many web sites do does not make it right. Although might be OK if there is no issue with multiple users and if it started that way in the first place. But anyway, many web sites are not terribly professional anyway; one should expect the AC one should be, it's not your corner store. Proper model to look at is banks, not e-bay.2. What about people who don't have or don't want an e-mail address?3. Then there is my wife. She has an address but never checks it... We'll get in the situation whereby when there is an itinerary change she won't notice... Surely that's a wonderful Aeroplan experience...4. Who are these geniuses who decide for me which e-mail address I should use? That's not their business, end of the story.
Fizzer and Jagboi like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Stranger
1. That many web sites do does not make it right. Although might be OK if there is no issue with multiple users and if it started that way in the first place. But anyway, many web sites are not terribly professional anyway; one should expect the AC one should be, it's not your corner store. Proper model to look at is banks, not e-bay.2. What about people who don't have or don't want an e-mail address?3. Then there is my wife. She has an address but never checks it... We'll get in the situation whereby when there is an itinerary change she won't notice... Surely that's a wonderful Aeroplan experience...4. Who are these geniuses who decide for me which e-mail address I should use? That's not their business, end of the story.
1. At no point did I suggest it was "right," simply that we shouldn't be surprised this is happening.
2. Anyone who doesn't have or want an email address is knowingly depriving themselves any service that requires an email address. Presumably, they can use a travel agent to book flights although, admittedly, it appears they would not be able to hold an Aeroplan account.
3. Your wife not checking her email to see if she's been informed of an itinerary change is your wife's problem, and, perhaps by extension, yours. But certainly not Aeroplan's. To the best of my knowledge, Aeroplan does not communicate itinerary changes through any means other than email, so an email address is needed. This also seems like a good explanation to your individual(s) in question #2 who don't want to have an email address. Aeroplan (or any body acting as a travel agent) should not depend on an intermediate to communicate itinerary changes. It's entirely reasonable that they insist on a way to communicate directly with the person affected nay the change. In 2019, that means having a valid email address.
4. No "genius" is deciding which email address you should use; you may use any email address you wish, as long as it's not associated with any other Aeroplan account.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC 25K, Aeroplan Amex Reserve
This is definitely not a unique to Aeroplan issue. When US CBP replaced GOES, I had to setup each family member with a unique address for the last Nexus renewal where previously everything came to me.

I also fully agree with the post above. If you don’t want to use email, large chunks of the internet will be off limits for you.
peroorim and 5mm like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

4. No "genius" is deciding which email address you should use; you may use any email address you wish, as long as it's not associated with any other Aeroplan account.
The geniuses at AC have decided she cannot use mine... Which she has for over 20 years. With no reason give, and in na e-mail that looks like it's a scam.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Stranger
The geniuses at AC have decided she cannot use mine...
She can absolutely use yours, provided you use a different one.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't think that's wise, but for reasons unrelated to this thread.
He's not particularly computer literate, he uses email for work because he has to. Outside of work, he doesn't use a computer. If booking needs to be made, I do it. If I set up an email for him AE is the only thing it would be used for; which seems pointless to me.

I much prefer the British Airways system, where I have a household account and one person is the administrator for all the accounts in the household and can manage everything from one portal.No need for multiple email addresses, as there is the unique account number for each member.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I much prefer the British Airways system, where I have a household account and one person is the administrator for all the accounts in the household and can manage everything from one portal.No need for multiple email addresses, as there is the unique account number for each member.
If they insist on multiple e-mails otherwise, then yes, that would be a good alternative.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Yes, on top of the stupidity of having to set up email addresses for each of my kids, then comes the necessity of monitoring those addresses.
I can just see in 10 years from now, after kids are of age of majority - " Oh, but we emailed you to tell you that their 200,000 AE miles would expire last month"
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Yes, on top of the stupidity of having to set up email addresses for each of my kids, then comes the necessity of monitoring those addresses.
I can just see in 10 years from now, after kids are of age of majority - " Oh, but we emailed you to tell you that their 200,000 AE miles would expire last month"
Forward those email addresses to your account. It's a bit of a hassle to setup but no different once done.
peroorim, Dolphin2 and ffsim like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
I have three family Aeroplan accounts mapped to the same email account. However various combos such [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] all arrive in the same inbox. I doubt the software will be smart enough to see them as the same address
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

She can absolutely use yours, provided you use a different one.
Quite. She can absolutely use my e-mail address provided I no longer use it. Isn't that great... :-)
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by visitor
I have three family Aeroplan accounts mapped to the same email account. However various combos such [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] all arrive in the same inbox. I doubt the software will be smart enough to see them as the same address
Of course there are ways to deal with this, that's not the point. But it seems these geniuses may not have figured out that there might be unhappy customers... And of course there are always alternatives available to them. But my guess is, that did not occur to them either. Anyway, now we know what their "new" CIO has been doing over the last year... But eh, coming from oil and gas, what a surprise; she'll make us miss Lise.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
For the record, there are many, many things that AC and AE do entirely for their own convenience, with wanton and utter disregard for the customer/traveler. Shall I start a list?
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Sopwith
For the record, there are many, many things that AC and AE do entirely for their own convenience, with wanton and utter disregard for the customer/traveler. Shall I start a list?
This is probably one of the ones they are doing because they think it will improve the customer journey. They may even have reports and fancy customer journey maps to show it.

The BA family solutions sounds like a winner.
peroorim and Dolphin2 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.