Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan does not want multiple accounts with same email?

Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

suspicious-looking e-mails but probably from Aeroplan

Got a couple e-mails looking very suspicious, sent from a host called sv031094.hosted.strongview.com and with links to links.rel1.aeroplan.com which is an alias for ideali2.hosted.strongview.com.This said, I suspect they are probably legitimate, just suspicious-looking. But they seem to be going nuts. They want different individual e-mail addresses for different e-mail accounts. So my wife can no longer have my e-mail tied to her account... Who do these guys think they are? Should not be up to them to decide who uses what e-mail address. Which from a security standpoint is meaningless anyway.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat

I just received 4 emails from AE ( there must be a 5th to come) stating:

Air Canada and Aeroplan are moving towards a new account login system that will make our members' experience simple, convenient and secure. We noticed that your email is associated with multiple Aeroplan accounts. In preparation for this update, we ask that you ensure that each of the Aeroplan accounts you manage has its own unique email address associated with it. Once the new system comes into effect, you will be able to login to your account using your Aeroplan number or unique email address, so you will no longer be able to use one email to manage multiple accounts.

I have my account, my wife's account, and my 3 kids under 12 years old all with my email address.
Why should I have to change? I look after all bookings, redemptions, etc.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: *$ Green
1 email 1 account - New Aeroplan (AC Altitude Policy)?

Five.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

See my previous article, are these e-mails legitimate, or was their system broken into? They do have information that only Aeroplan should have, but the e-mails were sent by strongview.com.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Seems legit.

Email address is used as a unique identifier in many systems, so I'm not surprised.

If you use gmail, and Aeroplan will let you put a plus sign, just do [email protected], [email protected], etc. Or stick dots in. canadiancow and canadian.cow all go to the same place, but Aeroplan might treat them as different.
tcook052, Dolphin2 and yyckerr like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Seems legit.
Except, there does not seem to be anything on aeroplan.com about this.
Email address is used as a unique identifier in many systems, so I'm not surprised.

If you use gmail, and Aeroplan will let you put a plus sign, just do [email protected], [email protected], etc. Or stick dots in. canadiancow and canadian.cow all go to the same place, but Aeroplan might treat them as different.
That many systems might use e-mail as a "unique identifier" does not mean it really does anyone any good. E-mail address is just an address, it's not designed to be an identifier. And as a bunch of folks already mentioned, for many it's an inconvenience. Who is the great genius who came up with that idea?At the very least they could start with a more secure password. Addresses have never been confidential BTW.
Fizzer and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AC SEMM
And why should your 3 and 5 year olds need to have their own email address. Very inconvenient !
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
Except, there does not seem to be anything on aeroplan.com about this.
That many systems might use e-mail as a "unique identifier" does not mean it really does anyone any good. E-mail address is just an address, it's not designed to be an identifier. And as a bunch of folks already mentioned, for many it's an inconvenience. Who is the great genius who came up with that idea?At the very least they could start with a more secure password. Addresses have never been confidential BTW.
Your username is never meant to be confidential.

Other than that, I tend to agree. Email addresses should be treated like mailing addresses. And I suspect your family shares that one.
peroorim likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
I sent them a note. Told them I wont change them. Going to just wait that out and see what they do. 😂
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
See my previous article, are these e-mails legitimate, or was their system broken into? They do have information that only Aeroplan should have, but the e-mails were sent by strongview.com.
Mine came from:
[email protected]

They also quote the aeroplan balances in each account, so I'm sure they're legit.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Mine came from:
[email protected]

They also quote the aeroplan balances in each account, so I'm sure they're legit.
As I said above, that's an alias for sv031094.hosted.strongview.com, where the e-mail originates. But yes, they quote the balances, so either the e-mails are legit, or someone has penetrated their system. Plus, there is nothing on the issue at aeroplan.com; again, mind you, they might be just a bit out of phase.In any event, assuming this is legitimate, it is a very unprofessional way to do things.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Who do these guys think they are? Should not be up to them to decide who uses what e-mail address.
Why should I have to change? I look after all bookings, redemptions, etc.
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
I sent them a note. Told them I won’t change them.
Putting the inconvenience aside (I'm affected, too, for the record), these reactions are hilariously over-the-top. Websites use email address as usernames all. the. time. and we shouldn't be shocked that Aeroplan is looking to make this change. I promise you the vast majority of Aeroplan members are more likely to remember their email addresses than their member numbers, and ultimately, that'll make using the Aeroplan / Air Canada website a more pleasant experience. And we all know it can use as much pleasantness as possible.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Exactly. And considering you can always email itineraries to multiple email addresses, this literally only affects login, not record-keeping or filing preferences.

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
And why should your 3 and 5 year olds need to have their own email address. Very inconvenient !
I gave my 3- and 5-year olds their email addresses 2.75 and 4.75 years ago, respectively, because I wanted to save them the hassle of registering [email protected] when they actually need one
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ffsim
Putting the inconvenience aside (I'm affected, too, for the record), these reactions are hilariously over-the-top. Websites use email address as usernames all. the. time. and we shouldn't be shocked that Aeroplan is looking to make this change. I promise you the vast majority of Aeroplan members are more likely to remember their email addresses than their member numbers, and ultimately, that'll make using the Aeroplan / Air Canada website a more pleasant experience. And we all know it can use as much pleasantness as possible.

Exactly. And considering you can always email itineraries to multiple email addresses, this literally only affects login, not record-keeping or filing preferences.

I gave my 3- and 5-year olds their email addresses 2.75 and 4.75 years ago, respectively, because I wanted to save them the hassle of registering [email protected] when they actually need one
Making the assumption that gmail.com will have a longer mainstream life than yahoo, compuserve and myspace.
ffsim and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I already have a unique identifier - my aeroplan number. Why do I need another unique identifier in the form of an email address? I'm in the same situation as others, I manage two accounts and my partner only has a work email and I don't want AE stuff going there.
peroorim and jmcintosh like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I already have a unique identifier - my aeroplan number. Why do I need another unique identifier in the form of an email address? I'm in the same situation as others, I manage two accounts and my partner only has a work email and I don't want AE stuff going there.
If you use gmail google: "setup an alias email in gmail" if you use something else then it will likely have the same capability.
ffsim likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.