FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC and In-flight filming (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1981619-ac-flight-filming.html)

Fiordland Aug 4, 2019 11:24 pm

AC and In-flight filming

Came across this interesting youtube post.

This one showed up on my youtube landing page. First time I have looked at anything from this guy. Basically it sounds like he cleared his filming with AC head office, the gate staff was aware, the captain was on board, the cabin crew was angry and made things difficult.

Interesting contrast to how WestJet, when introducing the 787 aircraft search the world for these people and gave them free rides to get some low cost publicity.

So what is AC policy anyway? I would assume common sense is you don't film people without permission. However in this day and age with every phone also being a video recorder expecting to police this is virtually impossible.

Fiordland Aug 4, 2019 11:45 pm

Looks like on the return trip they upgraded him.

Argonaut1000 Aug 5, 2019 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland (Post 31380108)
Looks like on the return trip they upgraded him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAlIvjgdlG0

Cool to see the crew rest area at 14:00

canadiancow Aug 5, 2019 1:22 am

I was told no galleys and no employees.

But I wasn't trying to get permission for something like this.

IluvSQ Aug 5, 2019 7:31 am

Isn't this the guy who was refused entry into China trying to do a TWOV at PEK, because he had failed to do hotel/police registration on his previous stay?
And then put up a video blaming it all on Air China?

mathemagic Aug 5, 2019 10:25 am

"the padding is a little hard"

IluvSQ Aug 5, 2019 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ (Post 31381039)
Isn't this the guy who was refused entry into China trying to do a TWOV at PEK, because he had failed to do hotel/police registration on his previous stay?
And then put up a video blaming it all on Air China?

Sorry to quote myself, but yes, that is the guy. And I should have said " who violated the law by failing to register on his previous stay", and then , when denied entry
by immigration, felt that Air China should have known this would happen and should have denied boarding to him.

What a self-centred dolt!

Fiordland Aug 5, 2019 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ (Post 31382541)
Sorry to quote myself, but yes, that is the guy. And I should have said " who violated the law by failing to register on his previous stay", and then , when denied entry
by immigration, felt that Air China should have known this would happen and should have denied boarding to him.

What a self-centred dolt!

Wow, so someone actually does something with those little slips of paper you fill out when checking into a hotel in China.

I watch a few more of his videos and he is self-centered dolt. However that is ok. I would rather see a review of AC by a demanding customer than one who lets every thing pass by.

StuckInYYZ Aug 5, 2019 4:47 pm

Cabin crew was wrong in this case (although to be fair, corporate should have given them a heads up they cleared this) in that they could have handled this a lot better... "Hey Josh, glad to have you on board. One request, that you refrain from filming anyone if they ask. Thanks."

Problem is that vloggers are increasingly becoming more intrusive... And their "respect for others' privacy" is often only as good as to get them out of the situation. Threatening legal action off the bat tends to make them defensive and then they start causing more issues.

Generally, ask for permission first, then really respect people's privacy. Otherwise expect issues.

One other thing, beyond China, this guy has also been in hot water with MH as well...

Also, if AC upgraded him just to get a better review on the outbound, then they suck... That's not how to fix a problem like this. Better training is how to fix this... Get the right people to lead.... Not be a crony to crew seniority... Job shadow the diamonds, not the frank's.

But what do I know... Just a FOTSG...

​​​
​​

Chowtime Aug 6, 2019 12:47 am

I've filmed onboard many times and I've shared some of my videos on FT. I've always had it arranged and cleared by AC Corporate and everytime, the captain and SD would always be in the know and tell the rest of the crew. All shots were always contained within my pod or in areas with no clear shots of passengers faces. Any crew filmed are asked permission and are cleared before the final. I also never speak to camera on board a flight as I'd hate listening to someone vlog on a flight. Some people just have no class when it comes to filming in any shared spaces. I've been on some Lufthansa flights where I've been told not to film anything even in my own pod for personal use with my phone. Best thing is to use common sense and respect other passengers privacy