Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The US, AC flight passes, and Aeroplan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, HHGold, Accor Gold.

I am a Canadian. Wondering if anyone has experience with this?

I am in the process of becoming a dual citizen. After doing a bit of digging, it does not seem that AC flight passes are available to american citizens or businesses. Did I miss something? The menu only toggles through Canadian provinces -- and searching US flight passes on AC through Google doesn't yield a different website.

Also... Would I need a separate Aeroplan number as an American using AC?

I'm trying to start figuring out if there is better value as an American or as a US based business when flying on AC. I'm sure this will take a little while as there are many angles to look at, and things to consider.

TIA.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
There are no citizenship restrictions when buying flight passes, however due to tax reasons AC only sells certain/most flight passes to Canadian residents only (or presumably anyone with a Cdn address in their Aeroplan profile and a Cdn billing address).

You keep your existing Aeroplan number when moving to another country.

There are only two major considerations IMO:

1) Cdn residency -> ability to purchase any flight pass
2) non-Cdn residency: lower AQD requirement to qualify for Altitude status
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
You can switch to the US version of AC.com to see the flight passes offered in the US. They are priced in USD.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
And you cannot buy a Canadian FP if your address is in the US, or vice versa.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
It would seem I’ll soon be moving to the US on a temporary work assignment (for a couple years), but commuting quite frequently back to Canada. Would it make sense that I purchase my flight pass before leaving so that I have the full range of options available in CAD, but then change my aeroplan address once I’ve moved (which I assume is proof of residency for qualification) to benefit from the lower AQD requirements?
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: AC*SE, Wyndham Dimond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat CND & USA, active military, Yoga teacher.
My mom lives in Canada and I get her to buy the 2 person flight passes for 8 credits. I use all 8 credits. That is how I get around the country locked flight passes. That way you only buy the flight pass before you use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.