Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada 877, June 18, 2019, Frankfurt, Germany

Air Canada 877, June 18, 2019, Frankfurt, Germany

Old Aug 3, 19, 1:23 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Air Canada 877, June 18, 2019, Frankfurt, Germany

Arrive at Air Canada counter one hour and fifteen minutes prior to departure. No one at desk. A few moments later, an employee arrived and told me I was "two minutes late." What?
I had my ticket in hand, with the departure time clearly printed. "The flight's closed", she said. "What do you mean closed? Overbooked?" Employee snaps shut her purse and walks away.

Phone Air Canada office in Frankfurt. "Oh, yes, that flight was cancelled." Odd, since was no cancellation notice on the arrivals/departures screen, and no passengers lingering about the counter waiting to be re-assigned. "Can you issue me another ticket?" "No, because you checked in online last night so your ticket's marked 'used.' " Spent the night at one of those airport hotels, at my own expense, and secured a flight on a partner airline the next day.

Wrote a civil letter (postal) to Air Canada CEO Colin Rovinescu. That was six weeks ago.

Avoid. Repeat, avoid this airline.
Exspecto is offline  
Old Aug 3, 19, 1:40 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC SE100K, UA Silver, SPG Plat/Lifetime Gold, Marriot Plat, Fairmont Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Posts: 1,472
By cancelled you mean your ticket was cancelled. The flight operated. If you checked in online why didn't you just proceed to the gate?
Nitehawk is offline  
Old Aug 3, 19, 1:43 pm
  #3  
5mm
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 669
Originally Posted by Exspecto View Post
Arrive at Air Canada counter one hour and fifteen minutes prior to departure. No one at desk. A few moments later, an employee arrived and told me I was "two minutes late." What?
I had my ticket in hand, with the departure time clearly printed. "The flight's closed", she said. "What do you mean closed? Overbooked?" Employee snaps shut her purse and walks away.

Phone Air Canada office in Frankfurt. "Oh, yes, that flight was cancelled." Odd, since was no cancellation notice on the arrivals/departures screen, and no passengers lingering about the counter waiting to be re-assigned. "Can you issue me another ticket?" "No, because you checked in online last night so your ticket's marked 'used.' " Spent the night at one of those airport hotels, at my own expense, and secured a flight on a partner airline the next day.

Wrote a civil letter (postal) to Air Canada CEO Colin Rovinescu. That was six weeks ago.

Avoid. Repeat, avoid this airline.
Your quote sounds very fishy? It sounds like the womenís daughter story at YYC a couple of years back, which turned out the pax was more than 2 min late. Why didnít you just go to the gate? Your were checked in, so you would of had a boarding pass?
5mm is offline  
Old Aug 3, 19, 2:23 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 29,901
I was going to suggest a possible schedule change such that T-75 was actually T-55.

And a BP doesn't do you much good if you're checking a bag.
canadiancow is online now  
Old Aug 3, 19, 2:27 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC SE100K, UA Silver, SPG Plat/Lifetime Gold, Marriot Plat, Fairmont Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Posts: 1,472
Depends on the bag. You really just need to get past security (might not be so easy in Germany if you have a large bag), and you can gate check.
Nitehawk is offline  
Old Aug 3, 19, 2:49 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: AC SE*100K
Posts: 1,186
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I was going to suggest a possible schedule change such that T-75 was actually T-55.
Has to be this. No chance there were no staff at T-75 at the check in counter.
RatherBeInYOW is offline  
Old Aug 3, 19, 3:25 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, HH Diamond, ClubAccor Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
Has to be this. No chance there were no staff at T-75 at the check in counter.
At FRA maybe less likely but I do recall our check-in experience last summer in AMS where we were at the check-in desk well before the check-in/drop bag deadline and the counter was about to be closed at about T-90
YOWCDNFF is offline  
Old Aug 3, 19, 5:44 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Mississauga Ontario
Posts: 3,666
LOL.


InTheAirGuy is offline  
Old Aug 3, 19, 5:45 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Mississauga Ontario
Posts: 3,666
More LOL.
InTheAirGuy is offline  
Old Aug 3, 19, 5:45 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Mississauga Ontario
Posts: 3,666
(I feed ADS-B data to FlightAware from 4 Raspberry Pi's, so I have an enterprise account, lots of flight history.

LOL
InTheAirGuy is offline  
Old Aug 3, 19, 6:45 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: AC SE*100K
Posts: 1,186
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy View Post
(I feed ADS-B data to FlightAware from 4 Raspberry Pi's, so I have an enterprise account, lots of flight history.

LOL
I assume we're being trolled then.
RatherBeInYOW is offline  
Old Aug 3, 19, 6:46 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Mississauga Ontario
Posts: 3,666
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
I assume we're being trolled then.
Well, there was no flight cancellation.
InTheAirGuy is offline  
Old Aug 3, 19, 6:57 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Toronto, ON
Programs: AC*A
Posts: 4,822
Originally Posted by Exspecto View Post
I had my ticket in hand, with the departure time clearly printed.
Ticket (itinerary?) or boarding pass that you printed? If the latter, I believe that’s boarding time, not departure time.

I suspect that your ticket was marked as used as you were considered a no show for the flight.
BearX220 likes this.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Aug 3, 19 at 7:05 pm
ChrisA330 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 19, 7:58 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC E50K (*G), NEXUS
Posts: 506
Originally Posted by ChrisA330 View Post


Ticket (itinerary?) or boarding pass that you printed? If the latter, I believe thatís boarding time, not departure time.

I suspect that your ticket was marked as used as you were considered a no show for the flight.
Isn't there some kind of "flat tire" rule in play here that would have allowed OP to rebook onto the next flight for a nominal fee?
marke190 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 19, 10:07 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DMM, Saudi Arabia
Programs: UA 1K-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold
Posts: 631
Smile Too Late to Avoid AC

Originally Posted by Exspecto View Post
Arrive at Air Canada counter one hour and fifteen minutes prior to departure. No one at desk. A few moments later, an employee arrived and told me I was "two minutes late." What?
I had my ticket in hand, with the departure time clearly printed. "The flight's closed", she said. "What do you mean closed? Overbooked?" Employee snaps shut her purse and walks away.

Phone Air Canada office in Frankfurt. "Oh, yes, that flight was cancelled." Odd, since was no cancellation notice on the arrivals/departures screen, and no passengers lingering about the counter waiting to be re-assigned. "Can you issue me another ticket?" "No, because you checked in online last night so your ticket's marked 'used.' " Spent the night at one of those airport hotels, at my own expense, and secured a flight on a partner airline the next day.

Wrote a civil letter (postal) to Air Canada CEO Colin Rovinescu. That was six weeks ago.

Avoid. Repeat, avoid this airline.
This is most troubling. I have a question about when AC 'closes the gate' on departing flights. On Friday I am connecting to AC899 VIE-YYZ on a TK flight from IST and I have a Paid Business Class ticket issued by United. My connection time is right at 1 hour. Now my experience at VIE is that one hour is usually more than enough. But what if the TK flight is running late. If I arrive at the AC899 Gate at T-10 minutes, are they going to tell me "sorry, the gate is closed" and "oh, since you ticket is 'used' we won't re-book you, call United for help". ??
gpicur is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread