Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada 877, June 18, 2019, Frankfurt, Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Arrive at Air Canada counter one hour and fifteen minutes prior to departure. No one at desk. A few moments later, an employee arrived and told me I was "two minutes late." What?
I had my ticket in hand, with the departure time clearly printed. "The flight's closed", she said. "What do you mean closed? Overbooked?" Employee snaps shut her purse and walks away.

Phone Air Canada office in Frankfurt. "Oh, yes, that flight was cancelled." Odd, since was no cancellation notice on the arrivals/departures screen, and no passengers lingering about the counter waiting to be re-assigned. "Can you issue me another ticket?" "No, because you checked in online last night so your ticket's marked 'used.' " Spent the night at one of those airport hotels, at my own expense, and secured a flight on a partner airline the next day.

Wrote a civil letter (postal) to Air Canada CEO Colin Rovinescu. That was six weeks ago.

Avoid. Repeat, avoid this airline.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
By cancelled you mean your ticket was cancelled. The flight operated. If you checked in online why didn't you just proceed to the gate?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:43 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Exspecto
Arrive at Air Canada counter one hour and fifteen minutes prior to departure. No one at desk. A few moments later, an employee arrived and told me I was "two minutes late." What?
I had my ticket in hand, with the departure time clearly printed. "The flight's closed", she said. "What do you mean closed? Overbooked?" Employee snaps shut her purse and walks away.

Phone Air Canada office in Frankfurt. "Oh, yes, that flight was cancelled." Odd, since was no cancellation notice on the arrivals/departures screen, and no passengers lingering about the counter waiting to be re-assigned. "Can you issue me another ticket?" "No, because you checked in online last night so your ticket's marked 'used.' " Spent the night at one of those airport hotels, at my own expense, and secured a flight on a partner airline the next day.

Wrote a civil letter (postal) to Air Canada CEO Colin Rovinescu. That was six weeks ago.

Your quote sounds very fishy? It sounds like the women’s daughter story at YYC a couple of years back, which turned out the pax was more than 2 min late. Why didn’t you just go to the gate? Your were checked in, so you would of had a boarding pass?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I was going to suggest a possible schedule change such that T-75 was actually T-55.

And a BP doesn't do you much good if you're checking a bag.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Depends on the bag. You really just need to get past security (might not be so easy in Germany if you have a large bag), and you can gate check.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I was going to suggest a possible schedule change such that T-75 was actually T-55.
Has to be this. No chance there were no staff at T-75 at the check in counter.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Has to be this. No chance there were no staff at T-75 at the check in counter.
At FRA maybe less likely but I do recall our check-in experience last summer in AMS where we were at the check-in desk well before the check-in/drop bag deadline and the counter was about to be closed at about T-90
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:44 pm

LOL.

Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:45 pm

More LOL.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:45 pm

(I feed ADS-B data to FlightAware from 4 Raspberry Pi's, so I have an enterprise account, lots of flight history.

LOL
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
(I feed ADS-B data to FlightAware from 4 Raspberry Pi's, so I have an enterprise account, lots of flight history.

LOL
I assume we're being trolled then.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I assume we're being trolled then.
Well, there was no flight cancellation.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: AC 75K
I had my ticket in hand, with the departure time clearly printed.
Ticket (itinerary?) or boarding pass that you printed? If the latter, I believe that’s boarding time, not departure time.

I suspect that your ticket was marked as used as you were considered a no show for the flight.
BearX220 likes this.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Aug 3, 2019 at 7:05 pm
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by ChrisA330

Ticket (itinerary?) or boarding pass that you printed? If the latter, I believe that’s boarding time, not departure time.

I suspect that your ticket was marked as used as you were considered a no show for the flight.
Isn't there some kind of "flat tire" rule in play here that would have allowed OP to rebook onto the next flight for a nominal fee?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Too Late to Avoid AC

This is most troubling. I have a question about when AC 'closes the gate' on departing flights. On Friday I am connecting to AC899 VIE-YYZ on a TK flight from IST and I have a Paid Business Class ticket issued by United. My connection time is right at 1 hour. Now my experience at VIE is that one hour is usually more than enough. But what if the TK flight is running late. If I arrive at the AC899 Gate at T-10 minutes, are they going to tell me "sorry, the gate is closed" and "oh, since you ticket is 'used' we won't re-book you, call United for help". ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.