Name error: Ticket OK, "file" wrong

Old Aug 2, 19, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Name error: Ticket OK, "file" wrong

Ok, hive mind. Got a new one.

TL;dr, Initial ticket on UA stock issued with wrong name. TA fixed it. AC has correct "ticket", but "file" still with wrong name. AC all \_(ツ)_/, TA confused.

For an internal conference, we are absolutely required to use Egencia (and not my often used egencia.ca account, but a new, one time use egencia US account). Initially, that account was setup with a misspelled name. I grant that is $WORK fault (and how they messed that up, I can't imagine, its not like we aren't a technology company with some skills in middlewear. But cutting and pasting is hard, I guess??).

I dutifully booked my ticket to the conference, and then to Vegas for vacation, YHZ-YUL-YYZ-MCO/MCO-IAH-LAS. Couple hours later, can't find the ticket on the eUp site or the usual backdoors. Ah ha! Name wrong. Missing the last letter. Call the TA. No problem, update my profile, reissue the ticket. Can't immediately verify, but OK, will take some time for the data to flow. Ticket actually was issued on UA stock, not rare, but unusual.

Check back to day, AC all messed up. Can find it on the eUp site with the wrong name. Can find it from "Manage bookings" with the right name, but can't do anything with it. Concierge desk selected seats for me. They were unable to add my AP number because of the mismatch. Directed me back to the TA.

Concierge tells me the TA needs to fix it. TA says the ticket is correct and out of their hands. I remain concerned a) I might not board at all b) I might not get across the border c) I might not get my status privileges d) I might not get my miles/segments

A supervisor from the TA is supposed to call me back (ha!). I've not asked for AC escalation. I've not talked to UA at all.

Should I push AC harder for a supervisor to find someone to write some SQL? What magic words might I use to get to the right person to solve this?
Old Aug 3, 19, 7:27 am

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
When a TA makes a name correction, one of two things is supposed to happen:

1. The refund and reissue on a brand new PNR. In your case generating 3 new PNRs (the GDS, UA, and AC).

2. If it's with 1 airline, they can the Airline who corrects the ticket on their system, and the PNRs are no longer linked and your TA loses control.

If your TA just corrected directly on the PNR, then yeah there's a risk that not all PNRs get updated and you are screwed. You will not have inventory booked on AC and your ticket will be "meaningless"*. Your ticket will also not associate to your PNR if names are different, which also means that ACs auto inventory control will eventually release the space.

Now, I know there are very rare airline/GDS combinations where names can be corrected directly (014 ticket booked on AC RESIII with only AC or AC*/UA). Maybe there's the same with UA in reverse, and that's why the agent did it.

Anyway, point is, general rule is that you cannot make a name correction on a multi airline PNR without creating brand new PNRs.
Dolphin2, canadiancow and 5mm like this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Now on (business) day 3, call 5 or so.

"The website will tell you the correct name from the ticket. A deeper system holding the PNR has my name wrong. I won't believe you that its fixed if you just check the website"

"Well, let me forward you the results of the website"

"I understand. My concierge tells me the PNR is wrong. You need to reissue the ticket."

"See, the website has your correct name."

"I don't disagree. I know it does. The deeper PNR is wrong. I can't select seats, for example. You need to reissue the ticket"

"We reissued the ticket on Thursday".

"You updated the ticket on Thursday. The eTicket number did not change."

"I guess you do need to talk to a supervisor"
canadiancow and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps time to complain within your organization about (1) why forcing you to use a totally incompetent TA and (2) why wrong name in the first place.
canadiancow, flyquiet and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Perhaps time to complain within your organization about (1) why forcing you to use a totally incompetent TA and (2) why wrong name in the first place.
Oh. Executing "5 whys" on this could take me down various routes. And needing to use the special one time throw away corporate conference 2019 egencia.com, and not even my regular egencia.ca account is one of end points. How someone managed to create "RangerN" as a stub record in there is a good question too. Copy/paste is hard, I guess.

But I've already got the overworked travel desk on the case of not getting branded fares (and/or full fare basis codes) displayed, after contacting egencia directly got me only confused faces.
Old Aug 5, 19, 4:31 pm

Whatexactly is wrong with your name on the PNR?
Old Aug 5, 19, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
Whatexactly is wrong with your name on the PNR?
Last character of my last name is dropped.

EUp and seat tool don't take the correct spelling. Agents can't add my AE number. The main website manage booking feature can bring it up, but being a TA ticket can't do anything (which is of course normal).
Old Aug 5, 19, 4:40 pm

Is the last letter of your name an M?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Paging @Adam Smith

Or SMITH/ADA
Old Aug 5, 19, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

An "A".

I'm sure the initial error was $JOB sending them a bad name and the provisioning of a bad stub account. I did not pick up on it until I tried to ask the usual suspects what I actually bought.
Old Aug 5, 19, 8:23 pm

Hmmm... well, it's just an transbordement ticket, and AC is actually chill with this*. The problem that you actually have is that AC has an incorrect name, and likely no ticket attached. Which means inventory will drop. And if you have no space on a flight, you've pretty much cut off al the ways an airport agent can bail you out**.

*At the airport. Just show up and be like "so weird the last letter of my name is missing" and they can just do a PFN edit.

**By themselves, without requiring the intervention of a bunch of people
Old Aug 5, 19, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm... well, it's just an transbordement ticket, and AC is actually chill with this*. The problem that you actually have is that AC has an incorrect name, and likely no ticket attached. Which means inventory will drop. And if you have no space on a flight, you've pretty much cut off al the ways an airport agent can bail you out**.

*At the airport. Just show up and be like "so weird the last letter of my name is missing" and they can just do a PFN edit.

**By themselves, without requiring the intervention of a bunch of people
It's not until October. Which should give their robots time to erase it, and time for me to fix it.
Old Aug 5, 19, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
And if you have no space on a flight, you've pretty much cut off al the ways an airport agent can bail you out**.
Working on the assumption the flight isn't oversold, it's a PSWC: Problem Solvable With Cash.

Buy a ticket at the counter at the airport and get reimbursed by your employer. And when accounting complains, explain how their cut rate TA screwed up and there was no ticket when you got the to the airport because their TA is inept.
Dolphin2 likes this.

Search this Thread