Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why are domestic business fares so expensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Why are AC business class fares so high for domestic? I've never been able to justify paying cash for J within Canada. Taking a brief look at the calendar, I'm consistently seeing roundtrip prices from $2k upwards to BC and AB, $1.3k to YWG, and $1,000 to YOW from YYZ. These prices are pretty insane compared to most of the domestic US city pairings and they have more premium transcon services too. Is the lack of competition in Canada that bad?
tdiddy23 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I just bought YVR-YYZ one way for around 600. Narrow body, but still. The deals are there if you can search.
5mm, nomadic.relief and Santander like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
AC Domestic (TB & Sun) Business is generally accepted as superior to the US carriers. So that accounts for about $20 in the difference.

The rest is competition, business, economic forces.

But mainly the punchline to the koan about the MBA professor after listening to a pricing exercise. "Your all wrong. Charge what the market can bear"
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RangerNS
AC Domestic (TB & Sun) Business is generally accepted as superior to the US carriers. So that accounts for about $20 in the difference.

The rest is competition, business, economic forces.

But mainly the punchline to the koan about the MBA professor after listening to a pricing exercise. "Your all wrong. Charge what the market can bear"
We have a winner. The domestic J market in Canada is small and relatively price insensitive. So they can charge it, so they do.

If I had to guess, I would guess that the domestic J cabin is, on average: 40% upgraders, 20-30% connecting to international J, and only 30% or so paying for an actual J, C, D, P, or Z fare.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Given that I often have to pay $1,000 one way YOW-YVR in Y, they must be doing ok and able to charge pretty much what they want on the main transcon routes.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Given that I often have to pay $1,000 one way YOW-YVR in Y, they must be doing ok and able to charge pretty much what they want on the main transcon routes.
Two words: flight pass.
canadiancow, 5mm, flyquiet and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ridefar
Two words: flight pass.
Unfortunately not within policy to purchase flight passes or business class even if it made more sense.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Because the market can bear it...
Almost noone paysfor these with their own money, and clearly OPM is willing to pay this much for their workers/clients - good on AC for capitilizing on this!
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:01 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

There’s a sizable number of people who rarely fly internationally and have money. They’re happy to pay more for the feeling of getting the best. Spending $2k for a transcontinental flight is pretty accessible financially for many people.

canadiancow and 5mm like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
There’s a sizable number of people who rarely fly internationally and have money. They’re happy to pay more for the feeling of getting the best. Spending $2k for a transcontinental flight is pretty accessible financially for many people.
Agreed. YYZ-YVR round-trip P class is currently just north of 2000 CAD.

And there's currently a 638 CAD one-way P fare YYZ-SFO. It's not like better deals don't exist.

Can I get YYZ-YUL as cheap as SFO-LAX? No. But I can do YYZ-SFO cheaper than NYC-SFO.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Because the market can bear it...
Almost noone paysfor these with their own money, and clearly OPM is willing to pay this much for their workers/clients - good on AC for capitilizing on this!
Pretty much this.

There are companies that allow J for some employees on any length of trip, and people seem to be happy burning their employers money on J going YOW-YYZ, hence the market will bear it (pretty much the rest of the people in J going YYZ-YOW are connecting to international J, eUps and crew).
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Domestic Business = AC Monopoly.

Ron.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Pretty much this.

There are companies that allow J for some employees on any length of trip, and people seem to be happy burning their employers money on J going YOW-YYZ, hence the market will bear it (pretty much the rest of the people in J going YYZ-YOW are connecting to international J, eUps and crew).
And don't forget the herds of politicians who are happy to spend our tax dollars in J...
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly
And don't forget the herds of politicians who are happy to spend our tax dollars in J...
We are all the OP in that OPM
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Keep in mind that YUL/YYZ to YVR are both around 5 hours while YUL/YYZ to LHR/CDG are both about 7. The stage lengths are not massively different. Just because it’s domestic doesn’t mean it isn’t a long ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.