FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Fast tracking Aeroplan status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1981273-fast-tracking-aeroplan-status.html)

RJBP Aug 2, 2019 7:12 am

Fast tracking Aeroplan status

I’m currently a Miles & More silver member. I travel much more frequently on BA and OneWorld but will be travelling to and from Canada more often. I’d be grateful to hear from anyone with experience on fast tracking Aeroplan status based on currently Star Alliance membership.

eracerblue Aug 2, 2019 10:56 am

From what I understand, they generally avoid undermining their *A partners business and customers, but you also have a better option with BA/OW, to challenge match from a competitor.

I would suggest picking a period following the year of your highest BA/OW level, and/or something you think you can maintain on AC (or other *A that could be easier, or just as, or more advantageous). AC and UA both have relaxed spend thresholds if based outside of their respective countries, which may benuseful. Some other *A programs offer multi-yr status, cheaper redemptions, etc all trade offs. If you’re keen on upgrades, then stick with the carrier’s program that you will physically fly.

For AC E50K, I believe the challenge is 18 segments or 18,500 AQM over 90 days. You can probably find other details for E75K and SE100K, but I suspect they will be 30-something, and 40-something in 90 days. I’m not sure if they challenge match any lower than E50K Gold. As you can see, it’s quite important to request this at an opportune time. Be aware basic fares don’t count, and others AQS can vary.

It is also worth noting, that depending on the routes and times you are looking to fly, the upgrade ability may be quite limited. While I do occasionally hear of E50K’s that get a TATL or TPAC upgraded, it sounds like the exception as those routes are the most in demand for upgrades, and there are several tiers ahead of you in line. There are various tricks methods that can be played to up your chance, but it depends on the effort you want to put in.

It is also worth noting that WS has had pretty generous advertised and non advertised matching programs the last while too, if it suits your needs.

canadiancow Aug 2, 2019 12:00 pm

I have nothing much to add to that detailed post, but I will point out that it is NOT Aeroplan status.

Aeroplan status exists, and is not what you're looking for.

You want Altitude status.

RJBP Aug 2, 2019 2:40 pm

That’s very helpful indeed. Thanks very much for the advice.

jmcintosh Aug 2, 2019 5:55 pm

I was told Air Canada would not match to a Star Alliance member (current 1K with Air Canada sic United through 2020), but they would match my Alaska Gold and/or AA EXP status. I was also told they would not challenge beyond 50k - so I took it and will still probably hit 100k by end of year anyway. YMMV

canadiancow Aug 2, 2019 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by jmcintosh (Post 31372791)
I was told Air Canada would not match to a Star Alliance member (current 1K with Air Canada through 2020), but they would match my Alaska Gold and/or AA EXP status. I was also told they would not challenge beyond 50k - so I took it and will still probably hit 100k by end of year anyway. YMMV

Bolded should probably be United.

But good to hear. E50K gets you all the basic benefits (priority everything, lounge, etc.), so it's a fair match. AA wouldn't give me a challenge beyond Platinum with my SE status a couple years ago, so I understand them not wanting to give away the top.

MasterGeek Aug 3, 2019 12:35 pm

How do I match my Alaska MVP status to Air Canada Altitude ?

jmcintosh Aug 3, 2019 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 31375053)
How do I match my Alaska MVP status to Air Canada Altitude ?

They won’t match - they will offer a challenge. Email your current credentials to [email protected]

Then earn 18,500 Altitude Qualifying Miles (AQM) or 18 Altitude Qualifying Segments (AQS) on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge over the following 90 days from approval, and you’ll be eligible for Altitude Elite 50K status.

The above is what they sent me anyway; but wouldn’t match to 75K or 100K.

M Singh Oct 15, 2019 3:28 pm

If I do a status challenge now, 2 questions:
1. How long will the status last until?
2. Will I be able to use my 1K benefits for the flights, despite the fact I am crediting to Aeroplan for the challenge?
Thanks!