Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Downgraded on flight. Is this info right or wrong?

Old Aug 2, 19, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Club

Last week I was flying BOS-YUL in J on one of their CR9’s. As I’m checking in at the airport the agent tells me the plane has been swapped to a Dash8 with no J class and gave me a number to Air Canada to call to get compensation for the downgrade.

I called the number and was told by an agent there that I was given the wrong information and that I would need to submit a refund request through through aircanada.com. I followed her instructions and submitted the form, explained the situation and also mentioned how I used Aeroplan points to book the ticket and would just like the difference in miles between J and Y refunded, which was 7,500 miles.

Late yesterday I get an email reply back saying that because it was Aeroplan I booked through I would need to contact Aeroplan for any refund. At this point I just keep getting bounced from one source to another. Has anyone else dealt with this situation before and if so how did you get it worked out?
Old Aug 2, 19, 4:52 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Makes sense, you paid in Aeroplan's "currency", only Aeroplan can give you the difference back
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 19, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Makes sense, you paid in Aeroplan's "currency", only Aeroplan can give you the difference back
I thought of that, but doesn’t AC award Aeroplan points after completing AC flights, so they can award miles too, no?

It it just feels like it shouldn’t be this much work. Air Canada changed their equipment therefore Air Canada should manage the refund on behalf of the customer. Not bouncing the customer around who they’ve already inconveniced in multiple ways.
Plumber likes this.
Old Aug 2, 19, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212 View Post

I thought of that, but doesn’t AC award Aeroplan points after completing AC flights, so they can award miles too, no?

It it just feels like it shouldn’t be this much work. Air Canada changed their equipment therefore Air Canada should manage the refund on behalf of the customer. Not bouncing the customer around who they’ve already inconveniced in multiple ways.
When my wife was downgraded from J to PY on a reward ticket she automatically saw a refund of the points difference from Aeroplan. She also received a $200 cert as compensation from AC after writing in.
Old Aug 2, 19, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
This is actually a pretty standard transaction with Aeroplan. If you had started with them, it would have been a much easier process. But yes, you need to call them.
Old Aug 2, 19, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
This is actually a pretty standard transaction with Aeroplan. If you had started with them, it would have been a much easier process. But yes, you need to call them.
That’s the whole point. I would have been fine starting with Aeroplan. But the fact the AC airport agent (who knew it was a mileage ticket) told me to call Air Canada for compensation, then Air Canada rep (who knew it was an aeroplan redemption) telling me to fill out refund form online, to then finally being punted by refund department to Aeroplan has been a collassel waste of time. Surely I’m not the first passenger on an Aeroplan award who’s been downgraded...how could the airport agent and Air Canada customer service agent all be so unknowledgeable of how to properly handle this?

Now I see others are saying AC gave them $200 downgrade compensation and they didn’t offer me anything. Do I need to specifically ask for it?
Old Aug 2, 19, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212 View Post

That’s the whole point. I would have been fine starting with Aeroplan. But the fact the AC airport agent (who knew it was a mileage ticket) told me to call Air Canada for compensation, then Air Canada rep (who knew it was an aeroplan redemption) telling me to fill out refund form online, to then finally being punted by refund department to Aeroplan has been a collassel waste of time. Surely I’m not the first passenger on an Aeroplan award who’s been downgraded...how could the airport agent and Air Canada customer service agent all be so unknowledgeable of how to properly handle this?

Now I see others are saying AC gave them $200 downgrade compensation and they didn’t offer me anything. Do I need to specifically ask for it?
I believe I've only had one downgrade due to a downgauge (so same as you), but I was not offered any compensation.

If you want to know how an airport agent could be so unknowledgeable... I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

This seems to be causing you undue stress, so if you want to pursue some form of downgrade compensation, go for it, but expect a fight.

Search this Thread