Search

Booking AC flights on OTA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Booking AC flights on OTA?

I sort of regret not booking this when I saw it on Expedia. Basically for US$487, it'll be YVR-TPE on AC K-fare, and TPE-BKK on EVA W-fare. At the time, I don't think AC had any basic economy fares for that route, but now they do. If I had bought that, it would have been cheaper than buying AC YVR-TPE K-fare on AC's site. So if I had purchased that from Expedia, how would AC recognize it for accuring AP miles? Or crediting to another *A carrier?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
K is not basic economy.
AC K earns 100% EQM and 50% RDM (+elite bonus) credited to UAMP, the fact its booked on an OTA is irrelevant.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Maybe, maybe not.

Fare bucket no longer means anything (generally). You need to know the entire fare basis to know the brand, and it is the brand that determines things like AQD accumulation. Generally.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
K is not basic economy.
AC K earns 100% EQM and 50% RDM (+elite bonus) credited to UAMP, the fact its booked on an OTA is irrelevant.
Unfortunately not. The fare type is now kind of meaningless. Basic economy will affect accrual even in other *A programs. Before the introduction of BE for TPE, I saw it as a very cheap way to get more miles to my account.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Unfortunately not. The fare type is now kind of meaningless. Basic economy will affect accrual even in other *A programs. Before the introduction of BE for TPE, I saw it as a very cheap way to get more miles to my account.
Dont basic economy fares have some sort of designator on them? I know the European ones do like KLA78LGT
Do the Asian ones?

Either way, still 50% EQM to United.

Edit: I checked on saudia.com using my 014 eticket for a friend's flight, its showing fare code KKA86RCS to FRA. So that is a regular K fare (earning 100% EQM) and not a basic fare I guess.

I guess you can always book on an OTA - and see what fare it books into, and cancel within 24 hours if its a basic fare.

Last edited by rankourabu; Aug 2, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dont basic economy fares have some sort of designator on them? I know the European ones do like KLA78LGT
Do the Asian ones?

Either way, still 50% EQM to United.

Edit: I checked on saudia.com using my 014 eticket for a friend's flight, its showing fare code KKA86RCS to FRA. So that is a regular K fare (earning 100% EQM) and not a basic fare I guess.

I guess you can always book on an OTA - and see what fare it books into, and cancel within 24 hours if its a basic fare.
If there is a designator, then I don't see it. There is a thread in the OZ forum, where someone didn't get the mileage he thought he was going to get. The fare type was the same in basic and standard. The only way he would know it's basic is that he had purchased it from AC's website. OTA will list the fare type, but not whether it's basic or standard. It's important cuz that's the difference between 25% and 50%.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expedia is very clear about the fare type you are buying for intl AC tickets.

I dont see a reason not to buy with them vs AC.com

And yes, the branding is just plain stupid. I nearly got caught myself when I saw comfort for $100 more than standard.
Good thing I checked first, because they both earned 100% EQM as they were both transborder K
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only difference to me in this case would be 50% EQM (basic) vs 100% EQM (standard)
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Expedia is very clear about the fare type you are buying for intl AC tickets.

I dont see a reason not to buy with them vs AC.com

And yes, the branding is just plain stupid. I nearly got caught myself when I saw comfort for $100 more than standard.
Good thing I checked first, because they both earned 100% EQM as they were both transborder K
I just did a test on Expedia.ca and I definitely don't see the same screen that you saw. Furthermore, Expedia.ca doesn't specify if the fare is basic economy or economy standard.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Egencia, which is Expedia + poorly implemented corporate rules (+$45 fees) also does not show such a screen
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
I just did a test on Expedia.ca and I definitely don't see the same screen that you saw. Furthermore, Expedia.ca doesn't specify if the fare is basic economy or economy standard.
Like previous poster, I also checked on how Expedia displayed and it's as shown in the image. Crystal clear on which fare family passenger is purchasing.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Like previous poster, I also checked on how Expedia displayed and it's as shown in the image. Crystal clear on which fare family passenger is purchasing.
Although perhaps it should be shown before the last payment page ...

but definitely crystal clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.