FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Dual Boarding (?) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1981206-dual-boarding.html)

lcohen999 Aug 1, 2019 6:13 pm

Dual Boarding (?)

Spending time as I do in Australia, both VA and QF load from both the front and back of the aircraft

Obviously anecdotal but it seems to be a faster way to board and de-board the aircraft.

Any particular reason that does not happen up here with AC, or this is ever discussed ?

Thoughts ?

Jebby_ca Aug 1, 2019 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 31368800)
Spending time as I do in Australia, both VA and QF load from both the front and back of the aircraft

Obviously anecdotal but it seems to be a faster way to board and de-board the aircraft.

Any particular reason that does not happen up here with AC, or this is ever discussed ?

Thoughts ?

It happens at YYJ for the Q400s... AC Express uses both doors for boarding and deplaning most of the time.

canadiancow Aug 1, 2019 6:25 pm

I took a few NZ flights recently, and if they used a bridge, it was single-door. If they used stairs, it was both.

I don't think I've ever boarded a mainline or rouge flight with stairs (yes, I know it happens at some airports). That's probably why.

lcohen999 Aug 1, 2019 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31368832)
I took a few NZ flights recently, and if they used a bridge, it was single-door. If they used stairs, it was both.

I don't think I've ever boarded a mainline or rouge flight with stairs (yes, I know it happens at some airports). That's probably why.

AKL domestic has dual boarding from the bridge. Make a right, down the stairs out and to the back. Although I agree I see it less there than on QF/VA which is every (domestic) flight

D404 Aug 1, 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca (Post 31368805)
It happens at YYJ for the Q400s... AC Express uses both doors for boarding and deplaning most of the time.

In YYJ but not YYZ it seems. I don't think I have ever seen a Q400 at the D1-12 gates be boarded any way but via the front stairs.

Plumber Aug 1, 2019 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by D404 (Post 31368845)
In YYJ but not YYZ it seems. I don't think I have ever seen a Q400 at the D1-12 gates be boarded any way but via the front stairs.

Ditto. I have never seen any AC plane boarded from the front AND back.

But then again, I have never been to YYJ.

Symmetre Aug 1, 2019 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 31368800)

Thoughts ?

Westjet uses nice sloping ramps at the front and back all the time at YYG - they're great, since you can wheel your rollaboard down them. AC has old-style stairs .... not only less convenient than the ramp, but I've never seen them use them at the back doors in spite of ample opportunity.

When I've been boarded / deplaned from rouge flights at YYZ hard stands , they only ever used one set of stairs at the front.

Boarding / deplaning WS flights at YHM, they use stairs front and back. It's much faster in both cases.

I don't know why AC doesn't use the back doors, especially on rouge flights where the FAs basically do nothing to assist the boarding process anyway.

marke190 Aug 1, 2019 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by D404 (Post 31368845)

I always find it frustrating that it's SOP in YYJ but 12 minutes later in YVR it's pretty much unheard of.

canadiancow Aug 1, 2019 7:45 pm

I suppose it requires at least one extra person on the ground, which costs money. But if it could speed up the process and either improve OTP or allow shorter turns, it might be worth it.

WildcatYXU Aug 1, 2019 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre (Post 31369022)

I don't know why AC doesn't use the back doors, especially on rouge flights where the FAs basically do nothing to assist the boarding process anyway.

I've seen AC using the back door at several airports. PUJ, AZS, HOG comes to mind.

Davvidd Aug 2, 2019 5:27 am

Don't they have to pay for using the bridge or the steps?

172pilot Aug 2, 2019 5:53 am

AC will use both doors at FRA when boarding at a remote stand. I flew FRA-YOW twice last year and the rear door was used both times.

Travellin_man Aug 2, 2019 11:02 am

And not quite the same thing but in Frankfurt they normally board the 777 with 2 jetways.

hazcaddy Aug 2, 2019 11:28 am

I noticed on my mini-RTW earlier this year that in Asia there were plenty of airports with 1 jetway and 2 bridges: left one for the Business / First crowd, the right one for the rabble. TPE, SIN, HKG, etc.

Fiordland Aug 2, 2019 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by marke190 (Post 31369039)
I always find it frustrating that it's SOP in YYJ but 12 minutes later in YVR it's pretty much unheard of.

Maybe I am thinking of Alaska, but I believe they use both front and rear when boarding the Q400 heading to Seattle or Portland.