How do you lose the entire flights luggage?

Old Jul 31, 19, 4:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

How do you lose the entire flights luggage?

Yes, thatís correct. On a non stop flight from Los Angeles to Montreal, we arrived at the gate at 3:30. A long, long walk, long lines at immigration, and arrive at the baggage hall 45 minutes later. By 4:30, no bags. Not 1. Passengers are impatient. No bags by 5. Someone finally tracks down AC rep. Directs us to another belt. Nope, no bags. Finally, at 5:30 they tell ALL the waiting passengers to go to the counter and fill out a report.

They did give us what appears to be a business class amenity kit and we were told to keep receipts if we need to buy clothes or toiletries.

I would rather have my belongings!
Old Jul 31, 19, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Gee, and we always complain about AC being inconsistent.

All kidding aside, someone effed that up. Which flight?

People Who Work at The Airport - do they containerize TB luggage?
strickerj and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 4:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

AC 782, Lax-Yul, July 31

yes, we were told container is “misplaced”
Old Jul 31, 19, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Does anyone know: Isn't there more than one container for luggage on an A320?

If yes, did ground staff at LAX forget all of them? Did the pilots calculate take-off weight based on the luggage containers being loaded?
Old Jul 31, 19, 5:19 pm

Programs: none
I wonder if they had an opportunity to haul a belly full of very profitable cargo and chose to forget a the passenger's bags? It would have to be profitable enough to pay for all of the costs of lost/delayed baggage.

Nah, Hanlon's razor likely applies.
dr_torch, Symmetre, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
Does anyone know: Isn't there more than one container for luggage on an A320?
The A320 can accommodate up to seven LD-345 containers.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE-1MM
I’m sure not the case here, but Once Upon a Time...

YQM-YYZ one snowy winter evening, operated at the time with a CRJ200. Runway conditions were poor, so this lowered the maximum takeoff weight below what the loaded plane weighed. (It needed to be able to reject a takeoff until V1 with available runway length, braking condition, and weight. I’m sure there’s a chart; I haven’t seen it.)

The decision was made to offload all checked baggage and about eight pax, to allow everyone else to travel that night. All the checked baggage was trucked to YHZ, flew the next day, and was delivered. The only thing that AC didn’t do super well was communication. The actual plan and execution worked pretty well, but they didn’t have a great plan to tell people what they were planning.
pilot007, Dolphin2 and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYZC2 View Post
The A320 can accommodate up to seven LD-345 containers.
@YYZC2
Thanks for the answer. Would all of them be needed for a full pax load on the 320? Does that include space for any other cargo?
I am also still trying to imagine "misplacing" an entire planeload of luggage.
Old Jul 31, 19, 6:19 pm
5mm
Suspended

@YYZC2
I guess the company/person looking after AC bags in LAX, his elevator doesn't go to the top floor. Thank god the flight wasn't I wide body, if so, the container could be on it's way to China.
Old Jul 31, 19, 6:30 pm

@YYZC2
Thanks for the answer. Would all of them be needed for a full pax load on the 320? Does that include space for any other cargo?
Each container can hold 30-35 bags. 146 pax maximum, some with only hand carry, some with two big bags for an overseas trip... tough to say unless I have the numbers in front of me but a five-container bag load on an A320 is considered heavy.

I'm not going to speculate on what happened in this case but I will say it's possible to have containers go walkabout upon arrival as cargo, terminating baggage and connection baggage all get whisked away planeside by different vehicles. The containers are pretty generic, identified only on the manifest by their container number so it's easy for someone to grab the wrong one and take a bag can to cargo or vice versa. This issue may not be an LAX error but a YUL one.

I will dismiss the notion of someone at LAX "forgetting" to load the bags. Load instructions are scrupulously followed by ground crews and flight crews alike, so an aircraft departing without planned containers is almost impossible. If those containers were left behind in LA, it would have been with the full knowledge of the captain.

Last edited by YYZC2; Jul 31, 19 at 6:37 pm
Old Jul 31, 19, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Each container can hold 30-35 bags. 146 pax maximum, some with only hand carry, some with two big bags for an overseas trip... tough to say unless I have the numbers in front of me but a five-container bag load on an A320 is considered heavy.

I'm not going to speculate on what happened in this case but I will say it's possible to have containers go walkabout upon arrival as cargo, terminating baggage and connection baggage all get whisked away planeside by different vehicles. The containers are pretty generic, identified only on the manifest by their container number so it's easy for someone to grab the wrong one and take a bag can to cargo or vice versa. This issue may not be an LAX error but a YUL one.

I will dismiss the notion of someone at LAX "forgetting" to load the bags. Load instructions are scrupulously followed by ground crews and flight crews alike, so an aircraft departing without planned containers is almost impossible. If those containers were left behind in LA, it would have been with the full knowledge of the captain.

@YYZC2
Thanks so much for explaining. Really appreciate it.
Old Jul 31, 19, 7:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

Perhaps LAX did load a can full of bags for YYZ on AC782, and the can of YUL bags wound up at Pearson?
Old Jul 31, 19, 7:55 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Update, 6 hours later. Bags located and on their way to hotel. I did go out and buy a shirt and my wife bought a a few things. We were told to buy what we needed and submit the receipts. Neither of us are ones to take advantage, but I did mention to my wife that I wondered if my Rolex was in the checked baggage, could I buy a new One. ����

The most interesting take away from this was while the plane was full, there were no more than 15 of us waiting for bags. I know there were a lot of onward international passengers.
Old Jul 31, 19, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Wasn't there a Stephen King movie on this premise?
Old Jul 31, 19, 8:02 pm

There's a limit on how much you can claim per kg if your bag is lost for good. I imagine you can't claim more than that in any case.

Besides, there's a list of things you should not put in checked luggage, and I'm pretty sure that includes valuables. So AC would not be responsible for a Rolex. Sorry.

Search this Thread