Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Sun IKK J for non-family?

YYZ-NAS, Premium rouge.

"To book this itinerary you must be part of the travelling party."

https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/priority-rewards says (emphasis mine):

In the event that Aeroplan Fixed Mileage Flight Reward seats are completely booked, members have access to unsold seats in Economy Class – and exclusive access to additional seats in Signature Class – when redeeming their Aeroplan Miles. Priority Reward reservations will require the same amount of Aeroplan Miles as for a regular Aeroplan Fixed Mileage Flight Reward, and are only available on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada Rouge. Note that availability for seats in Signature Class may be subject to capacity controls for flights where demand is high.

Priority Rewards are limited to a combined total of ten (10) reservations in both Economy and Signature Class, per Super Elite 100K member, per benefit year. Keep track of the Priority Rewards available to you by visiting your Dashboard. You will also see this information when completing a booking using your Aeroplan miles through aeroplan.com.

However, note that for international* itineraries booked in Signature Class, your Privilege may only be extended to immediate family members** when you are not traveling with them on the same flight reward reservation. In order to designate your immediate family members, as well as to book a Priority Reward on their behalf, you must call the Aeroplan Contact Centre. Please note that your list of designated family members may only be provided once during the course of your benefit year.

Additionally, when you hold a purchased ticket booked in Signature Class (J, C, D, Z or P booking classes), this Privilege can be extended to any other travelers as long as they travel with you on the same date on at least one international flight operated by Air Canada. This is not valid with purchased Economy Class tickets that are upgraded. These Priority Reward reservations must be completed through the Aeroplan Contact Centre.

* International destinations are defined as those beyond Canada,the contiguous United States and Alaska.

** Immediate family members are defined as a spouse (legally married, common-law partner or same sex) and up to five dependant children (up to and including the age of 24, part of the family unit and still financially dependent on the Altitude Super Elite 100K member). Air Canada and Aeroplan reserve the right to, at any time, request proof of eligibility of the designated family members. This verification may be performed by providing documents including, but not limited to, marriage licenses and birth certificates. If appropriate verification is not provided to the satisfaction of Air Canada and/or Aeroplan at their sole discretion, we reserve the right to cancel any confirmed Priority Reward reservations.
So we agree that NAS is "international". However, it is sure as heck not Signature Class. It's Premium rouge.

Should I be able to book this?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:10 pm

Is the flight actually sold as business, or is it premium economy since it isn’t domestic/transborder? AFAIK there is no IKK for PY, but that doesn’t explain the error message.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

North American Premium rouge is sold as J.

But it's not Signature Class.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:56 pm

Maybe you are confused with flights offering Signature Service. Signature class (J,C,D,Z,P) is just another term for Executive class/Business class.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:05 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YYZ7464
Maybe you are confused with flights offering Signature Service. Signature class (J,C,D,Z,P) is just another term for Executive class/Business class.
No, it's not. In AC's marketing, it consistently means you're getting a widebody with a pod. YYZ-YYC on a mainline 767 is Signature. YYZ-CDG on a 777 is Signature. A 320 family product or rouge anywhere is not Signature.
canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
No, it's not. In AC's marketing, it consistently means you're getting a widebody with a pod. YYZ-YYC on a mainline 767 is Signature. YYZ-CDG on a 777 is Signature. A 320 family product or rouge anywhere is not Signature.
That was my belief too, but I figured I should check it out.

We were correct.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-service.html

International:
Air Canada Signature Service is our new end-to-end premium travel experience featuring the Air Canada Signature Class cabin, formerly known as International Business Class. It is offered exclusively when flying to and from Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe and South America on board our mainline Boeing 787, 777 and 767 aircraft and our Airbus A330 aircraft.
North America:
Air Canada Signature Service is our new end-to-end premium travel experience featuring the Air Canada Signature Class cabin, formerly known as Business Class – Transcontinental, offered exclusively on board our mainline Boeing 787, 777 and 767 aircraft and our Airbus A330 aircraft.
Signature Class is, as you said, the cabin offered on mainline wide-bodies.

I'll probably call Aeroplan tomorrow to inquire, since I've missed the cutoff tonight.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'll probably call Aeroplan tomorrow to inquire, since I've missed the cutoff tonight.
By the rules they have published, you are in the right and YYZ-NAS should be available to non-family.

In the priority reward rules, they only mention Economy class and Signature class....there is no mention of regular (ie non-Signature) Business Class at all.

Please let us know how it goes when you call.
canadiancow and monkai like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Called in, and the first agent just said "I can't do business class. I can do economy.". "But the restriction only applies to Signature Class, and rouge doesn't have Signature Class."
"Maybe my supervisor can explain it to you. Let me transfer you."

After 10 minutes on hold, I had to hang up, because I don't have indefinite time right now. I sent ACAltitude a tweet instead.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Called in, and the first agent just said "I can't do business class. I can do economy.". "But the restriction only applies to Signature Class, and rouge doesn't have Signature Class."
"Maybe my supervisor can explain it to you. Let me transfer you."

After 10 minutes on hold, I had to hang up, because I don't have indefinite time right now. I sent ACAltitude a tweet instead.
This is how it went down.....

Agent: This SE wants Business, but there is only Economy available.
Supervisor: "You are right- tell him only economy is available"
Agent: "He is saying something about the rules on the website state that the IKK family restrictions only apply to Signature Class, and that Rouge does not have Signature Class"
Supervisor: <Looks at AC Website> " Holy crap, he's right. Leave him on hold while I call Marketing and get them to change the website"
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Twitter:

Hello Scott, this only applies for itineraries booked in Signature class, and YYZ-NAS does not offer this class of service. /Lea
Plumber likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Hey, cow, how did you get this resolved in the end? Trying to book my wife on an award (also to NAS, funny enough) and having the same problem.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I can't imagine that the previous rules don't apply (anything J that isn't Canada and contiguous U.S.) means you have to be on the flight in J or book for immediate family. The Aeroplan site certainly still reflects these rules.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
So I just booked YVR-PVR, myself revenue J and Mrs. YVR and her parents via IKK. Had to call in with the latter as it was a sun destination. There is still a $30 booking fee per pax! When I told the agent I could just book another day that didn't need IKK and then the change would be free he waived it. ^
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Hey, cow, how did you get this resolved in the end? Trying to book my wife on an award (also to NAS, funny enough) and having the same problem.
No, I never followed up.

But your wife can be booked regardless, right? The rule only applies to "non family"

Originally Posted by yvr76
I can't imagine that the previous rules don't apply (anything J that isn't Canada and contiguous U.S.) means you have to be on the flight in J or book for immediate family. The Aeroplan site certainly still reflects these rules.
But that isn't what the Altitude website says when it talks about the status benefits.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:50 am

No, I never followed up.

But your wife can be booked regardless, right? The rule only applies to "non family"
You're right, I was just mixed up with the Aeroplan site telling me I had to be part of the travelling party.

But I found a workaround.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 12, 2019 at 9:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.