AC Drops Domestic flight @ Canadian Customs

Old Jul 28, 19, 7:15 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
"Customs bond $$"? On a domestic flight, that should be what, $0?
I don't believe it's on a particular flight it's on a breach of protocol by the airline or regulation(s) as set by Canada Customs.
Old Jul 28, 19, 8:03 am

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by stevendorechester View Post
I don' t think CBSA has any authority over Canadian citizens on domestic flights, not does anybody who works for the airport ( who isn' t a police officer ) have the authority to stop you once you' ve exited the plane. If anything the airline would be fined. I could be wrong, but I wonder what would happen if a Canadian citizen just kept walking and refused to answer questions or produce i.d., since they never left the country in the first place.
It's a customs controlled area so you can be detained.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jul 28, 19, 9:42 am

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
Another good reason to travel with Nexus card
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 19, 9:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by mapleg View Post
Another good reason to travel with Nexus card
Shorter line getting into the customs area not a good enough reason?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: QR, AC, EVA, UL and PAL
Originally Posted by skybluesea View Post

it’s remarkable such statements are made with NO factual basis or evidence in support. Without getting too far off the thread In 2016 Parliament amended various statutes to create something called “Customs Controlled Area”.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...f5156-eng.html

while threshold for inspection for anyone domestic who is present in CCA. Including both passengers and ground staff, is much higher than arriving foreign travelers, Parliament allowed the authority necessary to intervene in this situation.

In practice, this inadvertent mixing happens routinely, including to me at YUL couple years ago and CBSA just asks where you came from and waive you through.

btw...AC was heavily involved in lobbying for the CCA change as it has facilitated simpler airport processing -I will say no more as getting really off topic to explain these details.
My issue is not the passengers being in a custom controlled area and customs having control of the area. There is no way any customs can affect any Canadian passenger on a domestic flight being asked to follow Canadian customs rules and regulations on the goods they bring or carry or use the form on a domestic flight. Inter Provincial regulations nothwithstanding.
Old Jul 28, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: Too Many
Originally Posted by dav662 View Post
My issue is not the passengers being in a custom controlled area and customs having control of the area. There is no way any customs can affect any Canadian passenger on a domestic flight being asked to follow Canadian customs rules and regulations on the goods they bring or carry or use the form on a domestic flight. .
i provided the link to the CCA policy and if you read carefully Parliament did make anyone, let me repeat, anyone in the CCA subject to CBSA intervention - whether this will withstand a Charter challenge yet to be tested.

And the CCA area can extend well beyond the exit to the Customs Hall - for which AC benefits with that great through bag check to domestic we have at YYZ for example. In practice, CBSA now has the authority even in domestic areas should they discover after initial inspection something is amiss.

and back to Thread, absolutely CBSA can intervene if AC drops you into Customs area - in practice they don't, but if your on domestic flight carrying narcotic contraband and the CBSA dog sniffs you out, you will be detained until local police are called to deal with a domestic crime.

Last edited by IBxAnders; Jul 29, 19 at 1:45 pm
Old Jul 28, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
On domestic flights you are always dumped back into the gate area of the terminal. How come no one noticed that you were going somewhere different?
skybluesea and flyquiet like this.
Old Jul 28, 19, 11:20 am

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by D582 View Post
On domestic flights you are always dumped back into the gate area of the terminal. How come no one noticed that you were going somewhere different?
Swing gates often involve a right turn here, a left turn there, and maybe an escalator or two thrown in for good measure. I suspect only travellers with the most intimate familiarity of a particular gate would immediately know if they’re being led the wrong way; generally, people just follow the crowd and / or the directions of airport / airline staff.
arf04, Dolphin2 and canadiancow like this.
Old Jul 28, 19, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by D582 View Post
agree, when this happened to me at YUL, I stopped to ask AC at cnx desk above the YUL Customs Hall, and reply quite nonchalant was just tell officer where you came from and you’ll be fine...and primary officer just asked for my name and said I was free to go... at the exit point same thing.

This is not new topic so unclear why we have NEW THREAD
Old Jul 28, 19, 11:55 am

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
If this happened on one of our flights, we'd mostly be disappointed at the lack of MLL / Priority Pass access on arrival.

AC, on the other hand, would save $$ on edamame, coke zero, and the fabled ice cream bars.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jul 28, 19, 2:19 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC Aeroplan, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Nexus/GE, Hertz #1 Gold
The part of this whole mess that bothers me, isn't what CBSA can or can't do, but if I was planning on making a quick connection off of that inbound domestic flight, and AC incorrectly caused me to go out through a line at customs and then back in through security, I'd be pretty upset if I missed that connection as a result.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 19, 2:30 pm

Programs: Amex Cent. BA Gold
Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
You're welcome to try turning up at a Canadian port of entry, trying to walk through and refusing to answer any questions, but I personally don't enjoy being forcibly detained and quite likely beaten/injured in the process. Many of us here have not forgotten the man who unfortunately lost his life at YVR in 2007 after getting frustrated/agitated with CBSA.
This unfortunate event involved the RCMP, not the CBSA.
james dean likes this.
Old Jul 28, 19, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH View Post
The part of this whole mess that bothers me, isn't what CBSA can or can't do, but if I was planning on making a quick connection off of that inbound domestic flight, and AC incorrectly caused me to go out through a line at customs and then back in through security, I'd be pretty upset if I missed that connection as a result.
yes, that would suck and AC Res would likely NOT understand why missed cnx when calling to get rebooked...think about trying to explain all this to some clueless res agent...”you ended up where from a domestic flight????”

while this topic comes up few times a year, good reminder that if I get off flight and see I’m heading to CBSA, hopefully I’ll remember to go back to gate and complain.
Old Jul 28, 19, 4:12 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Once domestic pax are co-mingled with Intl there is obviously a problem and seems customs should have authority to be used very judiciously. Not the passengers fault but letting the pax out would mean integrity over the area and goods within the area would be lost.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 28, 19, 4:52 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Well, the easy fix is to simply allow law enforcement the power to detained, question and search anyone they want to, at anytime. They should be able to stop you if you look suspicious, are acting suspicious, or about to do something suspicious or thinking of doing something suspicious. To speed things up we should carry "papers" with us all the time that include who we are, our fingerprint, picture, family history, what we do, where we do what we do and when we do what we do.

Not sure if this has been tried anywhere before, but to me, it solves so many problems!
Jazzed91 likes this.

Search this Thread