Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC gets one right; full marks to AC staff after multiple delays AC 865 LHR-YUL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Given all the bad experiences posted of late, I thought FT readers might be interested in one where AC seems to have gotten it right. I was recently scheduled to fly AC 865 LHR-YUL in PE, departing at 1405, with connection to YOW. (Direct flight has no PE.) Three times we attempted to take off, and three times the captain cut power after starting the take-off run. Captain and crew were great about keeping us well informed regarding what had gone wrong, and how they were attempting to solve the problem. After two attempts to fix things (computer issue, apparently) we were required by EU policy to deplane. By the time buses were organized to convey us to the terminal, it was 1800. AC distributed food vouchers as we deplaned, but also kept the ML lounge open (all other AC flights had departed), and even brought in fresh food. After we re-boarded. and experienced the third failed attempt, about 2030, the flight was finally cancelled. (Applause from passengers at that announcement.) Numerous AC staff were on hand to meet us as we again deplaned, re-entered the UK, and re-collected luggage. I was directed to the Hilton hotel connected to terminal 2. There, a buffet dinner was also provided at a fairly late hour. At that point I called the AC E50K line, answered after 20 minutes, and I re-booked through YYZ the next morning.

Even before cancellation I received a message from AC apologizing for the delay and providing a 30%-off code. The next day they followed up with a $500 flight credit, and further invited me to select the mandatory EU compensation of 600 Euros cash or 900 in credits. This morning I received a phone call once again apologizing, and providing me the code for the latter. Although it was clearly an equipment malfunction, and hence their responsibility, I thought that for once the response was very appropriate by all involved. Full marks for handling the situation competently and professionally. Pity that it can't always be like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Damn I'd take 30%, $500, and €900 any day.

Glad it worked out.
The Lev, mromalley and D582 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Good report, thanx for posting. Communications is always so vital in these IROP events and even though it didn't mitigate the delays you were kept informed and most importantly "compensated"
Kudo's to the flight crew and ground staff!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:48 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
When AC is at their best, they can be very, very good.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Discount code go something like this?

The maximum number of passengers per booking is 2.

The maximum number of allocations is 2.

An allocation is defined as a single passenger trip.

For Example - An Authorization Id with 2 allocations permits the following options:

1 Booking with 2 passengers.
2 Bookings with 1 passenger each.

Still have a few of these from last winters delays/cancellations
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
The EU regulations and the local media attention to airline abuse, played a significant role in the response, as did your status.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Yes, discount code is one booking for 2 or two bookings for 1, valid 12 months. Agreed that status and PE fare probably had something to do with the level of compensation, but professional treatment obviously applied to all pax. Sadly, i have also witnessed total chaos in such situations, which is why i was pleasantly surprised.
YVRYEGYVR likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by torcellano
Yes, discount code is one booking for 2 or two bookings for 1, valid 12 months. Agreed that status and PE fare probably had something to do with the level of compensation, but professional treatment obviously applied to all pax. Sadly, i have also witnessed total chaos in such situations, which is why i was pleasantly surprised.
Yes, it IS nice to read "good" reports rather than reports of airlines (or even passengers) "behaving badly".
All of those are too frequent these days.

This is really nice.
Thanks for sharing.

GC
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The one time I experienced a serious problem on AC longhaul (LHR-YOW 767, aircraft malfunction on climbout, return to LHR with equipment standing by), everyone at AC was terrific. The captain and FO toured the cabin after touchdown to answer questions, and when we finally reached YOW hours late, I was met on the jetway with hotel / food vouchers and a BP for a new connecting flight first thing next morning. I was truly impressed, as day-to-day anecdotal coverage of AC, here and other places, is so scathing when it comes to customer service and service recovery.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 27, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by skybluesea
Might this thread actually belong under a scary incident over Winnipeg?

since when are three aborted take-offs something to celebrate?

after the first de-boarding no way would I be getting on this aircraft again !

maybe the exceptional attention by ground staff might really be Toronto ops control trying to deflect attention from the risk passengers faced here.

ps...EC courts have ruled that mechanicals are actually foreseeable events, reflecting insufficient maintenance practices before departure. May be a passenger on this flight should be making a complaint to Transport Canada about what happened here.
Yes I’m sure the pilots would be ok with flying an unworthy craft. Or the company not worried at all about losing a frame and bad publicity. Maybe we can leave the decision making to the experts and not let our emotions make us say foolish things

My IRROPS experiences with AC have been above average to horrific, so it’s nice to hear that exceptional exists.
canadiancow and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:34 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 27, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by skybluesea

An aborted take-off is an extraordinarily rare event - three in one day on the same aircraft does NOT fall in the rare category and warrants greater attention.

My point is, do you think you're the only one knows that? that the pilots, mechanics and AC ops who do this for a living, didn't think that maybe there's a problem we should look at? the only one rushing to judgement here is you, against AC. ie "after the first deboarding no way would I be getting on that aircraft again"

there are procedures for this kind of thing to bring greater attention. If you have some evidence that ac isn't following those procedures I would be happy to rethink my position, but I wouldn't rush to condemn them based on my armchair knowledge base.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 28, 2019 at 5:43 pm Reason: edit quote
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:29 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 7:06 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:26 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 7:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.