FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Standby / Same Day Changes - Rules for Award Tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1980182-standby-same-day-changes-rules-award-tickets.html)

YXUFlyboy Jul 25, 2019 8:55 pm

Standby / Same Day Changes - Rules for Award Tickets

For I or X class awards (either Aeroplan or other *A carrier), what fare class rules does Air Canada follow for same day changes at airport or standby?
Does this answer change for "market fares"? It's impossible to tell what fare class it books into since AC moved to branded fares. "S" fare basis could be Flex or Standard for Y, for example.

canadiancow Jul 25, 2019 8:56 pm

I can't speak for Market Fare, but:

X and I can be SDC'd for the standard $75
I has free standby
X standby is free on routes like Rapidair

YXUFlyboy Jul 25, 2019 9:08 pm

X standby also work for western triangle (YYC, YEG, YVR)?

Argonaut1000 Jul 26, 2019 4:59 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31343523)
I can't speak for Market Fare, but:

X and I can be SDC'd for the standard $75
I has free standby
X standby is free on routes like Rapidair

Does there need to be positive I space to SDC or just an available seat in J?

canadiancow Jul 26, 2019 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000 (Post 31344379)

Does there need to be positive I space to SDC or just an available seat in J?

Positive space means the number of booked seats is less than the capacity.

Fare class is irrelevant.

But J2 isn't sufficient. The entire flight needs positive space.

asovse1 Jul 28, 2019 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy (Post 31343550)
X standby also work for western triangle (YYC, YEG, YVR)?

​​​​​​

​​​​​​Can confirm this evening that X same day standby works for W. Triangle (processed YVR-YEG at priority desk landside)

Plumber Jul 29, 2019 6:35 am

I did an 'I' standby the other day for 3 PAX for YYZ-YWO... the SDC for I would have been $75 per person.....so we went for the free standby and all got a Business seat, despite being at the bottom of the onload list.

canadiancow Jul 29, 2019 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Plumber (Post 31354037)
I did an 'I' standby the other day for 3 PAX for YYZ-YWO... the SDC for I would have been $75 per person.....so we went for the free standby and all got a Business seat, despite being at the bottom of the onload list.

Yeah, it seems like some form of confirmed-J standby is now being processed before upgrades. I don't know if that includes R class.

But the order on the public list does not match the order it's processed in, of course.

Argonaut1000 Jul 29, 2019 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31354805)
Yeah, it seems like some form of confirmed-J standby is now being processed before upgrades. I don't know if that includes R class.

But the order on the public list does not match the order it's processed in, of course.

Arranged a SDC, 10 hours before flight time which I thought was safer than taking a chance on a standby, costs $75. I don't think there was "I" space - just space in J was all that was needed. Or perhaps the concierges just made it work.

canadiancow Jul 29, 2019 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000 (Post 31357469)
Arranged a SDC, 10 hours before flight time which I thought was safer than taking a chance on a standby, costs $75. I don't think there was "I" space - just space in J was all that was needed. Or perhaps the concierges just made it work.

You don't need any fare class for SDC. Just positive space.

shuuy Sep 14, 2019 4:36 pm

With same day change:

1- Can I change routing (YEG-YYC-SFO to YEG-YVR-SFO) ?
2- Can I change date with an overnight connection (YEG-YVR day 1, YVR-SFO day 2 --> YEG-YVR-SFO all on day 1)?

canadiancow Sep 14, 2019 4:41 pm

1. Yes, as long as the new routing is sane
2. Probably not

shuuy Sep 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31525540)
1. Yes, as long as the new routing is sane
2. Probably not

"Same routing" as in same O&D?
Or same connection point?

canadiancow Sep 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy (Post 31525549)
"Same routing" as in same O&D?
Or same connection point?

"Sane", not "same".

Like you couldn't do YEG-YYZ-SFO. But YYC/YVR/nonstop are all fine.

SilverChris Sep 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Sorry to dig up this thread but I figured I'd ask here since my question is similar.

I have a YVR-SFO UA award in J, for the last flight of the day. Is it possible to standby for an earlier flight on OLCI? Or would I have to go to the YVR to be put on the standby list/pay for SDC?