Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Woman mistakes Preferred seat UG for biz class UG then is removed from AC flight

Woman mistakes Preferred seat UG for biz class UG then is removed from AC flight

Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I mean....

3 sides to every story but given her FB post and the press release. It sounds like she lost her cool
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I have had experience rude behaviour from AC a few times. Lots of times it is take it or leave it attitude. I can very well understand the frustrations of the passengers. I have worked in this industry for a very long time and the always taught how rude the passengers get never be rude to them. They get upset because they feel they have been wronged. So politely explain to them what is happening.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:32 pm

So she doesn't understand what she bought, throws a tantrum, and now pulls out the tired old race card. I hope AC get this thrown straight out.
mapleg, YZF_Elite, gcashin and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Edited to Simplify:
She is from small village NWT, and a Dene. She comes from a culture different from ours. I learnt some time ago that one must not talk to northern community First Nations people in the same abrupt manner as we talk to each other in a big city like Toronto, as our tone and body language can be interpreted as offensive and rude. It's no different than dealing with some Asian cultures like the Japanese or Thais where it is inappropriate when dealing with customers to raise one's voice or to use language that is overly aggressive or disrespectful.

My point here, is that the FA probably did not appreciate this person's background. Now, before anyone says, boohoo it's Canada and the FA shouldn't have to accommodate such things, please keep in mind that the destination was Yellowknife deep in First Nations territory/land and that their culture prevails. I believe that this is a misunderstanding caused in large part by not acting accordingly when dealing with a First Nation's person and expect that had a FA or GA with more experience of working flights into First Nation destinations been faced with this situation, we would not have had this result.
This pax most likely did not have much experience in the fast paced, "in your face" culture of the south, and the onus was on the customer facing person (the FA) to be prepared for that. Please take this into consideration before casting stones at the woman.
Mike902, Fizzer, flyquiet and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Jul 25, 2019 at 8:47 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Originally Posted by arttravel
The passenger has more detail on their FB page which is being shared around...
She also has a June 1/2019 post on that FB page in which she threatens to go the media because some other entity apparently offended her:

"Wow!! Do I ever have a story about ECE here in YK!! I’m rested up now!! I’m gonna start making some noise!!!"
"Media I will tell you our story now..Monday morning I’m heading the the news paper, CBC north..."

It could speak to a pattern of behavior.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This is what Debra Williams, Manager of Corporate Communications for Air Canada’s Jazz Aviation, had to say about the incident.“During the boarding of this flight from Vancouver to Yellowknife, a passenger became verbally abusive to the boarding agents.
I'm confused. She was "verbally abusive" to the GAs, but she was still permitted to board?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Edited to Simplify:
She is from small village NWT, and a Dene. She comes from a culture different from ours. I learnt some time ago that one must not talk to northern community First Nations people in the same abrupt manner as we talk to each other in a big city like Toronto, as our tone and body language can be interpreted as offensive and rude. It's no different than dealing with some Asian cultures like the Japanese or Thais where it is inappropriate when dealing with customers to raise one's voice or to use language that is overly aggressive or disrespectful.

My point here, is that the FA probably did not appreciate this person's background. Now, before anyone says, boohoo it's Canada and the FA shouldn't have to accommodate such things, please keep in mind that the destination was Yellowknife deep in First Nations territory/land and that their culture prevails. I believe that this is a misunderstanding caused in large part by not acting accordingly when dealing with a First Nation's person and expect that had a FA or GA with more experience of working flights into First Nation destinations been faced with this situation, we would not have had this result.
This pax most likely did not have much experience in the fast paced, "in your face" culture of the south, and the onus was on the customer facing person (the FA) to be prepared for that. Please take this into consideration before casting stones at the woman.
While I have no doubt what you are saying is true. Culture shock does not excuse poor behavior.
wrp96, marke190, leoo and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
While I have no doubt what you are saying is true. Culture shock does not excuse poor behavior.
Based on the FB post, shortcomings on the intelligence/education front also appear to play a role. It's too bad (for the lady) that she spilled her guts on FB. I still believe AC will offer them a decent settlement to bury the issue, but the FB posts gives their counsel a lot to work with.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 26, 2019 at 6:44 am
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm confused. She was "verbally abusive" to the GAs, but she was still permitted to board?
I think boarding agents means everyone involved in boarding process including FA.

It sounds as if the passenger only realized the issue when on the plane and seeing the seats.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:19 pm

What does an extra $500 get you on a Dash 8?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by flyquiet
If true, I would like to know which song, so I can be prepared.
That tune already changed, in post # 3 of this thread
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
You mean how when the white man came they killed and pillaged the natives? Yes, just because it is a different culture doesn't mean that is acceptable.

You'll note in Canada they use the term "First Nations". I believe this is because they believe those people were there "first".
moondog, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by 24left
AC FT Glossary

Fly Once a year To See Grandma

See this page, post 92 and a few after

FT Acronyms and Terms for Dummies
Whew! Thank you, that is helpful. I couldn't even tell if AC meant Airline Crew or Air Canada.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
The passenger has more detail on their FB page which is being shared around:

"Boy do I ever have a story about air canada from Vancouver!! I got kicked off the plane because I paid for an ungraded so my daughter could experience first class..we get on the plane
and I have a regular seat. I asked the flight attendant, why did I pay for a regular seat that was paid for already. I asked for my money back and they were so rude! My daughter didn’t say a
thing and she got kicked off because they said we were flying together. So the youth flew back with William thank God. Two chaperones get kicked off a plane because of an upgrade that
they didn’t give me...I got ripped off and kicked off from air canada!! I don’t even drink, I was stating my option and they couldn’t handle it...media!! She discriminated me and basically told
me that I couldn’t afford first class!"

and

"Now that I have the money for a lawyer I’m suing Air Canada!!"

The passenger had the full f word on the post.
Roast me all you want, but based on what I read here I would never in a million years allow this individual to chaperone my kid for an educational trip. Not likely for any other trip either.

I believe the FA way overreacted. I also believe this woman likely was somewhat aggressive. Lastly, I am bothered by the inconsistencies in the stories. Fully true stories don't change each time they're told.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 26, 2019 at 7:13 am Reason: edit quote
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Edited to Simplify:

Understood that raising one's voice in certain cultures is deemed as aggressive, inappropriate and counterproductive.. What would you call putting F Bombs on your facebook page? That's not what I see as the height of good manners.

As for the FA not understanding northern/first native culture...if you are flying to Yellowknife regularly presumably you have picked up some of the cultural norms of the passengers who regularly travel there.
moondog likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.