Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Woman mistakes Preferred seat UG for biz class UG then is removed from AC flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman mistakes Preferred seat UG for biz class UG then is removed from AC flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's barely 7am and there's already victim blaming.
Perhaps not so much blaming the "victims" as giving the cabin crew the benefit of the doubt?
writerguyfl and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:13 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Why is it that "air stories" get all of the attention?

Because commercial air travel is an expensive, stressful and de-humanizing experience for a lot of travellers.

Arcane terminology, confusing fare structures, a myriad of addon costs, complicated fine print, variable customer service, endless queues for everything and unreliable schedules.

Add to that the fun of spending time in glorified noisy cow sheds with attached gift shops before getting packed into a metal tube with seats better suited for contortionists, and people will simply not be at their best or willing to forgive their fellow man.

That's why.
Yes, air travel can be expensive somethings, but also can be very cheap. Ever notice it's usually the lower end pax usually having troubles. A pax simple misunderstood what cabin she bought. This is not news. BTW, knowing from my many hours traveling, it's usually the pax being overly vigorous that gets them in trouble.
Dolphin2, Symmetre and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
Perhaps not so much blaming the "victims" as giving the cabin crew the benefit of the doubt?
Two of the first three replies both commented on how it was inappropriate for the chaperones to try to upgrade. As if that's even remotely relevant to the circumstances of being removed from the flight.

Originally Posted by 5mm
Yes, air travel can be expensive somethings, but also can be very cheap. Ever notice it's usually the lower end pax usually having troubles. A pax simple misunderstood what cabin she bought. This is not news.
Agreed, which is why it's not the issue here.

Originally Posted by 5mm
BTW, knowing from my many hours traveling, it's usually the pax being overly vigorous that gets them in trouble.
I used to believe that. I used to want to hear AC's side of the story. My attitude changed a while ago.

I simply wouldn't believe AC's side, even if they offered it.

I guess that's not fair. If AC corroborated these two chaperones' story, I would believe it. Otherwise, not so much.
Twickenham, Dolphin2 and smallmj like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'll answer the question you pose: NO, but I think it's very bad form for chaperones to deliberately (in this case, pay to) upgrade themselves into a different cabin when they're presumably being paid to chaperone the kids (as part of their job) and are also being given an expensive trip. It would be different IMO if these were volunteer parent chaperones or if the chaperones were paying the cost of their trips. The business purpose of the travel was solely to supervise the kids.
I was the director of a high school summer abroad program when I was in college. Part of the deal entailed flying with the kids from LAX to HKG. While we requested seats near each other, that wasn't in the cards. In fact, two of the students ended up in J. what? All of us made it to HK without even a minor hiccup.

As for the appropriateness of using the donated funds to cover the $75, as long as they're transparent about it, I don't see any ethical issues. I don't know how to say this in a politically correct manner, but one of the two ladies in the picture probably could have really benefited from extra space.
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it odd that some will lambast the chaperones for taking an upgrade (or trying to) to a different cabin, thus leaving the kids in their own, but have nothing to say about the CC deciding to fly with the students entirely unchaperoned.
Yeah, I'd definitely call that giving the crew the benefit of the doubt.
moondog and Mike902 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickg523
I find it odd that some will lambast the chaperones for taking an upgrade (or trying to) to a different cabin, thus leaving the kids in their own, but have nothing to say about the CC deciding to fly with the students entirely unchaperoned.
If the students were on different files, it's not for the crew to decide who is their chaperone or if they need one. Plus, I don't believe anyone lambasts anyone for wanting an upgrade, but for how they dealt with the issue with the cabin crew, who don't have anything to do with the issue anyway. When they only have themselves to blame for their misunderstanding. At the very least if they wanted to complain they should have talked to the gate agents.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If the students were on different files, it's not for the crew to decide who is their chaperone or if they need one. Plus, I don't believe anyone lambasts anyone for wanting an upgrade, but for how they dealt with the issue with the cabin crew, who don't have anything to do with the issue anyway. When they only have themselves to blame for their misunderstanding. At the very least if they wanted to complain they should have talked to the gate agents.
According to the story, ONE of them talked to the FA, realized what had actually happened, then they both took their assigned seats. Then they were BOTH told they couldn't fly.

Do you have knowledge that something else occurred?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:15 pm

There is nothing 'preferred' in that middle seat. Yikes.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rickg523
In an earlier post, I criticized AC for removing the (apparently only) chaperones and letting the group of students continue alone. I also speculated that everyone wasn't booked as a group, although the chaperones should have pointed out the presence of the kids when they were kicked off the flight and insisted on fulfilling their responsibility to the kids they were supervising.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: air miles
AC operates RJ-900's on that flight, how much bigger are the biz class seats?

Answering my own question, Seatguru indicates the Biz Class seats are 6 inches more pitch and 4 inches wider than economy.

There seems to be lots of gaps in her story. She asked the desk agent for "those seats up front" is it possible there was a communication mix up? Sure. She found herself in a preferred seat and not "up front" and asked the FA wha' happen, is told nope this is the seat that's on your ticket. Then SUDDENLY she became the problem child? I don't know that gap in story, I don't think is is unfair to infer that there may have been a bit of a tantrum thrown between finding herself not in the seat she wanted and subsequently staff considering her a problem and having her removed...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
According to the story, ONE of them talked to the FA, realized what had actually happened, then they both took their assigned seats. Then they were BOTH told they couldn't fly.

Do you have knowledge that something else occurred?
None of us do, but experience has taught me there is often 3 sides to every story.

We need a Judge Judy to get to the bottom of this one.
moondog, Twickenham and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Like usual I bet the answer is somewhere in the middle.

I doubt the people removed just said "oh, I didn't realize - I'll just sit in my bulkhead seat then" - more likely there were much more pointed remarks were made. At the same time I am guessing a FA having a bad day or just being on a power trip decided that they were not going to take any .... and pulled the "security" angle to have them removed. Unless some witnesses come forward we'll probably never know, and even then...

The problem is the average FOTSG just doesn't realize it is never worth arguing with AC. For example I've had gate agents screw up upgrades for me twice at CDG in the last year, when the concierge was not around, and both times 1) I knew arguing with the GA and holding up boarding was pointless and 2) once I was on board the FAs aren't going to do anything about it. Fortunately AC via social media compensated me both times, but your average FOTSG is probably going to argue with them like they would someone behind the counter at the bagel shop, and then they run in to the wrong FA or an FA having a bad day and then this ends up happening.
Dolphin2 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:40 pm

I am rarely stumped by FT acronyms, but FOTSG?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by moondog
I am rarely stumped by FT acronyms, but FOTSG?
AC FT Glossary

Fly Once a year To See Grandma

See this page, post 92 and a few after

FT Acronyms and Terms for Dummies
moondog, onanisland and Diabeetus like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I was once in the same flight with a group of school kids on some sort of tour. I saw their chaperone just once prior to boarding checking that the kids had their passports and BPs in order. They were scattered among the cabin and one of them was next to me. That 14 h TPAC flight was one of my best trips as the kid was polite and talkative. So, contrary to common belief, some kids aren't evil and can be left unsupervised for 14 hours.
Also sorry for going off topic, I am amazed to see people who actually live near YZF. Shame that they show up in news this way.
moondog, Mike902, Dolphin2 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.