Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada places woman, younger man in single hotel room - July 24 2019

Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

QUOTE:

"Tabu told CBC News that the agent gave them one hotel voucher and told them they would have to share a room. When they arrived at the hotel, the room only had one bed, she said."

"....she was using a wheelchair at the airport because she's recovering from cancer treatment."

"After a lengthy phone call with Air Canada, Mahele Nyota said the airline managed to find her mother a room at another hotel, but she's concerned about what could have happened if she hadn't intervened.

Now, she's worried about other vulnerable passengers being treated in the same manner and said she has filed a formal complaint with the airline."

Full article

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...nger-1.5220945
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
For once, I saw something on the news before on FT.

I'm really confused how this could happen. One one hand, I have to believe the agent thought they were related, and there were some communication issues.

On the other hand, the agent works at the airport.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
For once, I saw something on the news before on FT.

I'm really confused how this could happen. One one hand, I have to believe the agent thought they were related, and there were some communication issues.

On the other hand, the agent works at the airport.
From the article:" her mother and the man were told they would have to stay the night and fly the following day. The guy was also shocked. He said, 'But I don't know her,' [and] my mom said, 'I don't know the guy,'" Mahele Nyota said."

Sounds like the agent didn't want to put in any extra effort to find 2 rooms
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by mromalley
From the article:" her mother and the man were told they would have to stay the night and fly the following day. The guy was also shocked. He said, 'But I don't know her,' [and] my mom said, 'I don't know the guy,'" Mahele Nyota said."

Sounds like the agent didn't want to put in any extra effort to find 2 rooms
Well you're definitely hearing only one side. A stressed interaction being recounted later is always going to sound better any clearer than it actually was. It makes very little sense that an agent would offer one room to two strangers.

But I've seen agents do crazier things.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
"After a lengthy phone call with Air Canada, Mahele Nyota said the airline managed to find her mother a room at another hotel, but she's concerned about what could have happened if she hadn't intervened."

"After this story was published, Air Canada said an error was made due to a misunderstanding."

If AC said and error was made, then it acknowledges someone who might have been working at the airport - or at the help desk somewhere, made the decision to hand a single hotel voucher to 2 strangers. IMO
Dolphin2 and jc94 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What this sounds like is that the agent only could find one room in the regular inventory that he had access to, and he foolishly tried to find a way that might have been the best outcome for both... More like a case of misplaced good intention?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
At least this time it wasn't a teenager in Transylvania.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
"After a lengthy phone call with Air Canada, Mahele Nyota said the airline managed to find her mother a room at another hotel, but she's concerned about what could have happened if she hadn't intervened."

"After this story was published, Air Canada said an error was made due to a misunderstanding."

If AC said and error was made, then it acknowledges someone who might have been working at the airport - or at the help desk somewhere, made the decision to hand a single hotel voucher to 2 strangers. IMO
Or the misunderstanding was that they weren't mother/son or something like that. I can't imagine any other misunderstanding that would result in two strangers in one room.

I can, however, imagine a lazy or incompetent agent later saying "it was a misunderstanding".

So it depends on whether you believe there was a misunderstanding.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Or the misunderstanding was that they weren't mother/son or something like that. I can't imagine any other misunderstanding that would result in two strangers in one room.

I can, however, imagine a lazy or incompetent agent later saying "it was a misunderstanding".

So it depends on whether you believe there was a misunderstanding.
Meanwhile, AC Corp security has banned them both for standing in an aisle, and damaging a plane.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
perhaps this is a case of no good deed goes unpunished.

AC got more bad publicity by offering a room than making the two strangers sleep in the airport overnight.

//My first reaction to this thread title was younger man/older woman: no thank you.
(younger woman/older man would be more interesting....... though it's far cheaper to stay married!)
moondog and nancypants like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Jul 24, 2019 at 3:35 pm
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700

AC got more bad publicity by offering a room than making the two strangers sleep in the airport overnight.

//My first reaction to this thread title was younger man/older woman: no thank you.
(younger woman/older man would be more interesting....... though it's far cheaper to stay married!)
If the agent knew they were strangers, I don't agree that it was "a good deed". There are very few situations in YUL where sharing one bed in one room with a stranger is going to be more reasonable than "sleep on the floor of the airport". Especially if you just look at the optics and at least one person is an able-bodied adult male.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
If the agent knew they were strangers, I don't agree that it was "a good deed". There are very few situations in YUL where sharing one bed in one room with a stranger is going to be more reasonable than "sleep on the floor of the airport". Especially if you just look at the optics and at least one person is an able-bodied adult male.
All kidding aside, I'd think the agent made an error in expecting them to share in the first place.
Since we have one side of the story, it could be as simple as them having a similar last name. The agent could have also assumed the hotel would arrange for two beds for two family or friends traveling together.. Cheaper pre negotiated rooms are usually run-of-house, where bedding type is merely a request not a guarantee.

The only airport I've ever been stranded in where strangers likely had to share rooms was when a 737 went mechanical in Majuro, marshall islands. I lucked into pre-booking a hotel on my own. Everyone else was put up in apartments or shared housing.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by expert7700

Hey, as an older woman (older than the man in the story), just hey.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Somewhat off topic, almost 20 years ago, when bidding for hotel rooms on Priceline was still new, I was standing behind a man and woman checking in at a downtown Chicago hotel who were very upset that the room they were about to be given had only one bed. The clerk was trying to explain to them that Priceline's T&C only guaranteed a room that would accommodate 2 people, and that was all.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Well, this happened to me a few years back in YUL. A load of people misconnected to YYZ and were stuck on YUL around 1 or 2am. The agents were totally unprepared for us, were quite shocked when we all showed up on the jetway. Anyway, they give us a bunch of hotel slips and put us on a bus to whatever hotel near the airport they used at the time and we got there and for the 20 or so of us at the time, the hotel said they only had 16 rooms or something. A few people were kind and offered to share. Someone offered me use of their shower, but I didn't want to impose on the room. Anyway, a hassle and a bit ridiculous to deal with, but things happen.
Dolphin2 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.