Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Why does Aeroplan provide more value on first year attaining status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Why does Aeroplan provide more value on first year attaining status?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Why does Aeroplan provide more value on first year attaining status?

What is the logic in providing more value to members in the first year they attain SE status? In the year it's attained, members receive rollover altitude qualifying miles at each threshold:
2,500 @ 60K
5,000 @ 90K
15,000 @ 150K
Total: 22,500

For the same mileage accumulation, existing SE member would receive only 15,000 at 150K and nothing below that threshold.

What's the logic in the additional value in the first qualifying year?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by WithIntent
I believe the logic is to encourage all members to strive for the highest level, of course, since there is also an AQD component that puts dollars in AC's pockets.

Note, the roll-over miles are only awarded based on your current status. So if you're a 50K and you don't manage to reach 75K, but accumulate more than 60K in the year, then at least you get a head start to your next attempt to achieve your status again and give you a jump in becoming 75K.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:58 am
Original Poster

I suppose so, but seems odd that my multiple years of loyalty generate substantially less benefit than a new member with the same spend.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
But the that would be a member who jumps from 50K status all the way...
I also am not sure that the roll-overs are cumulative; it may be just the "top" amount you achieve is rolled over. At least that's how I interpret things. They are certainly not in the habit of giving away AQM!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteadyAT
But the that would be a member who jumps from 50K status all the way...
I also am not sure that the roll-overs are cumulative; it may be just the "top" amount you achieve is rolled over. At least that's how I interpret things. They are certainly not in the habit of giving away AQM!
I double checked: the year I went from 50K to SE, I received 7,500 rollover miles (2,500 + 5,000). This year I will get 0 unless I hit 150K even though I have already passed 90K.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AC SE
What is the logic in providing more value to members in the first year they attain SE status? In the year it's attained, members receive rollover altitude qualifying miles at each threshold:
2,500 @ 60K
5,000 @ 90K
15,000 @ 150K
Total: 22,500

For the same mileage accumulation, existing SE member would receive only 15,000 at 150K and nothing below that threshold.

I have wondered this as well. It’s odd to me that after beginning last year as E75 and accumulating 155,000 AQM or so, I began this year (my first as SE) with 20,000 AQM. But this year, as an SE, unless I fly 150,000, I enter next year with 0 AQM. I’m not sure I understand the logic of it.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian

I have wondered this as well. It’s odd to me that after beginning last year as E75 and accumulating 155,000 AQM or so, I began this year (my first as SE) with 20,000 AQM. But this year, as an SE, unless I fly 150,000, I enter next year with 0 AQM. I’m not sure I understand the logic of it.
Right. I think there's an argument to be made that you want to make it easier for the big spenders to re-qualify. Reduced requirement select privilege is obviously intended to provide that, but the rollover accumulation seems to be out of whack.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Right. I think there's an argument to be made that you want to make it easier for the big spenders to re-qualify. Reduced requirement select privilege is obviously intended to provide that, but the rollover accumulation seems to be out of whack.
Yeah, I agree. In the last decade I've had three different jobs that give me various levels of status (the old Elite (now E35), E50K / E75K and SE) and while I'm in the middle of a run of multiple SE years at he moment I've had lots of moving up and down between status levels in my past.

I get they they are trying to get people to aim higher, but once you are SE I think AC kind of assume you'll stick with it assuming your travel patterns warrant. And that is probably not a bad assumption. If I was going from E50K to SE I'd receive more in rollover miles, eUps, etc. than I will this year where I will probably end up somewhere between 150K and 200K miles, which does seem out of whack.
WithIntent likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Be careful what you wish for. You used to get a ton of eUps going up, but then they "fixed" that.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Be careful what you wish for. You used to get a ton of eUps going up, but then they "fixed" that.
When? Certainly not last year...well, at least not in the case of 1 person I know very well
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:52 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Based on my experience last year, I don't think that is as 'fixed' as we think.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
When? Certainly not last year...well, at least not in the case of 1 person I know very well
You used to get the full amount as you went up the levels. My first year I received E35K + E50K + E75K, which was WAY more than an SE would get.

Now you're SUPPOSED to get something like 5 or 10 extra at each level, essentially the difference between what the two levels offer.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You used to get the full amount as you went up the levels. My first year I received E35K + E50K + E75K, which was WAY more than an SE would get.

Now you're SUPPOSED to get something like 5 or 10 extra at each level, essentially the difference between what the two levels offer.
I believe you've already emphasized the operative word.

There are things about AC IT that drive me batty, but given my personal experiences over the last 18 months there are many things I'll miss when they finally get their crap together.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:03 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Redacted

Last edited by Bohemian1; Jul 23, 2019 at 1:03 pm Reason: Some things are best left unsaid.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
They want to wean the new pups on to the never ending quest for status, status and more status. A bonus or too at the beginning helps you along and before you know it, you are on FT and trying to get to higher levels.
s_yvr and lallied like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.