FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Should I switch spending over to Aeroplan Platinum Amex for better earning ratio? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1979646-should-i-switch-spending-over-aeroplan-platinum-amex-better-earning-ratio.html)

InTheAirGuy Jul 22, 2019 4:33 pm

Should I switch spending over to Aeroplan Platinum Amex for better earning ratio?

Forgive me if I'm not in the right forum and if this should be over in the Amex forum.

I've long used my Amex Platinum card to accrue points to Membership Rewards, and then dump them over to Aeroplan as needed (1:1). Points were earned at 1.25 or 1.5 per dollar spend, but Amex cut this back last month, so it seems anything non-travel is now just 1.1

I'm wondering if I should move all my spend over to my Aeroplan Platinum Amex - which goes directly to Aeroplan points - I think at 1.25 or 1.5?

Thoughts?

lcohen999 Jul 22, 2019 5:08 pm

I like keeping them in MR as you have more flexibility

Example, while not cheap, I used my MR points to book J on Air Tahiti Nui via Delta for an anniversary getaway

Points Poppa Jul 22, 2019 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 31331365)

This. Unless you have an imminent redemption, I would not want to be left holding a bag of Aeroplan points when AC takes over next year.

mapleg Jul 22, 2019 5:35 pm

Make sure you understand the differences between the cards.

Is lounge access important to you? If so, keep the Regular Platinum card as it allows complimentary access to PP lounges for you and one other guest. The Aeroplan Plat allows access, but you pay for it. There are other differences as well, but this pay for lounge access with the Platinum card is not for me.

Here is the verbiage on the Amex Plat card (only the relevant cost part posted here for brevity)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...676ae55327.jpg

canadiancow Jul 22, 2019 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Points Poppa (Post 31331417)
This. Unless you have an imminent redemption, I would not want to be left holding a bag of Aeroplan points when AC takes over next year.

AC took over 6 months ago.

sameruval Jul 22, 2019 5:39 pm

Amex Plat for sure (depending on your spending patterns). Unless the cheaper annual fee or the MLL access matters more to you, the 2x multiplier on travel and the 3x multiplier on dining/fast food/coffee does help offset the change from 1.25 MR per dollar to 1 for other purposes.

The flexibility of the MR points also tips the scale in favour of the platinum

mapleg Jul 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by sameruval (Post 31331436)
Amex Plat for sure (depending on your spending patterns). Unless the cheaper annual fee or the MLL access matters more to you, the 2x multiplier on travel and the 3x multiplier on dining/fast food/coffee does help offset the change from 1.25 MR per dollar to 1 for other purposes.

The flexibility of the MR points also tips the scale in favour of the platinum

Not really less cost for the AeroPlat when you consider you are effectively getting the regular card for same amount once you factor in the annual $200 travel credit.

sameruval Jul 22, 2019 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 31331446)
Not really less cost for the AeroPlat when you consider you are effectively getting the regular card for same amount once you factor in the annual $200 travel credit.

Right forgot about that. The Aeroplan Plat does have an annual companion pass however I think.

mapleg Jul 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by sameruval (Post 31331455)
Right forgot about that. The Aeroplan Plat does have an annual companion pass however I think.

I think so but I seem to recall it is only when you buy the highest fare ticket (that rules me out)

To me the Gold Card is the best deal balancing cost and miles earned. If you need lounge access though you could argue the Plat card is reasonable.

Symmetre Jul 22, 2019 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 31331365)

Me too. I either convert them to Errorplan points for last-minute short-hauls that can otherwise be insanely expensive, or to Avios for cheap Europe trips on BA.

MaxFlying Jul 22, 2019 7:28 pm

The Cobalt card is pretty good. I think Plat has had to change some of its dining/travel ratios to compete (especially for a $10/month card). No direct transfer to AE, but can go through Bonvoy. I seem to have earned an incredible number of points with this card - some 5x multipliers..
I still keep Plat, Bonvoy and Cobalt. Alternate spending depending on long/short term goals, and always couple with retention bonuses (I got 50K last year with Plat). I put all airfares on Plat for the insurance coverage which I have found to be excellent.

sameruval Jul 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlying (Post 31331701)
... and always couple with retention bonuses (I got 50K last year with Plat).

You got 50K as a retention bonus for your Amex Plat after the first year? If so...how?

(I also have the Cobalt and Plat, and do the same, more spending on the Cobalt at restaurants if aiming for a redemption on a carrier that the Plat doesn't have direct transfers to.)

MaxFlying Jul 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by sameruval (Post 31331720)
You got 50K as a retention bonus for your Amex Plat after the first year? If so...how?

(I also have the Cobalt and Plat, and do the same, more spending on the Cobalt at restaurants if aiming for a redemption on a carrier that the Plat doesn't have direct transfers to.)

Sorry, after many years. I usually got a retention on the Bonvoy(SPG) but asked with Plat last year and was quite surprised. I did say I was really liking Cobalt and using it a lot :)

Points Poppa Jul 22, 2019 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31331427)
AC took over 6 months ago.

You know what I meant. 2020 is when the new program gets launched.

Pittie Pup Jul 22, 2019 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by sameruval (Post 31331720)

I would assume it all comes down to the annual spend amount. It's not uncommon if you visit the Amex Plat retention thread on FT. I got a first year retention bonus on my Amex Plat last year of 50k MR with no spend requirements. As a data point it had around 115k spend in 11 months.