Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

24 hour Aeroplan award Cancellation; redeposit time for miles?

Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond

Any data points on whether this is automatic?

My guess is “no” but dont want to find out the hard way....
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Just did this so here are data points for you:
- Purchased a ticket on July 4, 1213am; and decided to cancel on July 4, 235pm.
- Initial charge for the purchase posted on credit card on July 5 (transaction date July 4).
- When I cancelled online, I received an error message email, so ended up having to call in. I received a confirmation of the credit amount by email after speaking with customer service. (Think this is what should have been issued to me instead of the error message email.)
- Credit amount was posted on July 8 back onto credit card.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: IHG Gold
It has always been automatic for me. Have never called in and always been rebated
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Sorry for the poor original post, I am referring to how quickly the miles go back into the account as I want to rebook right away.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by everetl
Sorry for the poor original post, I am referring to how quickly the miles go back into the account as I want to rebook right away.

Thanks in advance.
You never said you were asking about an Aeroplan award and I just presumed you were talking about a revenue ticket.

Since the Aeroplan 24 hour cancel policy has only been introduced , there won't be a lot of real world experience with it. However, on regular aeroplan cancellation/refund (when a fee was involved), the points were redeposited instantly (ie the screen refreshes in 30 secs and the points are back)
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I cancelled an Aeroplan booking some months ago and the miles were back within seconds.
canadiancow and Symmetre like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:33 pm

Cancelled two aeroplan bookings last Friday July 19. Received refund confirmation. Since being SE, no cancellation fee. But on the confirmation, PLEASE ALLOW 2 DAYS FOR MANUAL PROCESSING TO BE COMPLETED AND TO SEE YOUR MILEAGE REINSTATED IN YOUR ACCOUNT. Points were not deposited right away this time. Maybe it has something to be with no cancellation fee involved.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by YYZ7464
Cancelled two aeroplan bookings last Friday July 19. Received refund confirmation. Since being SE, no cancellation fee. But on the confirmation, PLEASE ALLOW 2 DAYS FOR MANUAL PROCESSING TO BE COMPLETED AND TO SEE YOUR MILEAGE REINSTATED IN YOUR ACCOUNT. Points were not deposited right away this time. Maybe it has something to be with no cancellation fee involved.
Can you confirm how long it took to get the miles redeposited? I had previously read that it was instant. However, when I just cancelled an award within 24 hours (no fee), I got a notice to allow 10 days for manual processing.

I am also surprised I did not get an e-mail confirmation of the cancellation. The itinerary no longer shows up under manage my booking.

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 28, 2019 at 5:19 pm
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You may need to call to have them manually process it. A few bookings I cancelled weren't actually refunded until I had an agent do it.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You may need to call to have them manually process it. A few bookings I cancelled weren't actually refunded until I had an agent do it.
I called and it didn't cancel correct online. The agent was able to fix it and get the miles redeposited within minutes. I have heard a few bad comments about the call center, but the agent I got was very nice and made pleasant small talk while she was typing away.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I had booked a J one way reward to Europe 3 weeks ago. When the return opened up, I found better outbound flights. The agent suggested cancelling the original booking and re-booking as a new round trip in order to avoid two change fees. While I was on the phone with Aeroplan, I cancelled the booking on-line. The points were back within seconds.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 172pilot
I had booked a J one way reward to Europe 3 weeks ago. When the return opened up, I found better outbound flights. The agent suggested cancelling the original booking and re-booking as a new round trip in order to avoid two change fees. While I was on the phone with Aeroplan, I cancelled the booking on-line. The points were back within seconds.
I have had experiences like that, but I've also had recent experiences where it seems to cancel the booking, but the refund is never processed.

So if they're not back immediately, you need to call. And the money will be refunded a few days later.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:57 pm

Just to add a data point, cancelled an award ticket that's departing in a few hours (wanted to change by calling, waited for almost 2 hours no luck)

Once I submitted the cancellation request on their website my card was charged right away, then got email, processing webpage refreshed and confirmed cancellation, and miles are back in my account. Everything took about 3 minutes.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by NardoSH;[url=tel:32010975
32010975[/url]]Just to add a data point, cancelled an award ticket that's departing in a few hours (wanted to change by calling, waited for almost 2 hours no luck)

Once I submitted the cancellation request on their website my card was charged right away, then got email, processing webpage refreshed and confirmed cancellation, and miles are back in my account. Everything took about 3 minutes.
I need immediate redeposit upon cancellation within 24 hours of booking. I need to use the mikes for another ticket. Latest experiences?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I cancelled a reward booking a few weeks ago. Miles returned to my account immediately, fees for taxes etc refunded to credit card in two days, but it took two weeks to get e-upgrade credits restored.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.