FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   2019 Aeroplan Reward Changes - one stop / open jaw (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1978162-2019-aeroplan-reward-changes-one-stop-open-jaw.html)

Benner Jul 15, 2019 8:26 am

2019 Aeroplan Reward Changes - one stop / open jaw

As of September 1, 2019, members will be limited to one stopover or one open jaw on a roundtrip award. Furthermore, as of today travel within the same continent (except for travel wholly within North America) is limited to one open jaw, with no stopovers permitted.
https://onemileatatime.com/aeroplan-...ption-changes/

24left Jul 15, 2019 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Benner (Post 31305296)

@Benner
perfect post for this thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...2020-a-88.html

aeroman380 Jul 15, 2019 8:32 am

Sad news for us mini-RTW flyers. I was just planning another one for next year. I have one booked in September that I hope won't change.

Benner Jul 15, 2019 8:33 am

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 31305310)

I thought about that, but the program hasn't launched yet. There might be many more surprises in store for us ;)

24left Jul 15, 2019 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Benner (Post 31305321)
I thought about that, but the program hasn't launched yet. There might be many more surprises in store for us ;)

Which is why the other main thread a good parking spot until AC decides to stop leaking things to bloggers and let its customers know directly

Benner Jul 15, 2019 8:46 am

Cool. Update posted in other one, although @aeroman380 beat me to it :) Not sure how to delete this one.

canadiancow Jul 15, 2019 9:56 am

I actually think this is more appropriate.

This is a change to the current Aeroplan program. The other thread is about a new program.

Given that the endgame is barely even a new program (more of just a growing set of changes to Aeroplan), I'm not even sure it makes sense to keep that thread open. The whole premise was a new program to replace Aeroplan, but I'm not sure "Aeroplan" can actually replace Aeroplan.

Vaguswarrior Jul 15, 2019 10:27 am

I wonder if they will allow changes on existing mRTW bookings. I had a booking that I was hoping to change the routing on. But I don't want to lose the two stops.

asovse1 Jul 15, 2019 10:30 am

There's a DP from a blog that the old routing rules will be grandfathered if you need to make routing changes from Sept. 1 @Vaguswarrior

Brief update: I called Aeroplan to confirm that 24-hour layovers and custom routings will remain in place after September 1 (for now). Only the stopover policies have changed. Furthermore, any itineraries ticketed before September 1 will remain subject to the old rules, even if you make changes after that date.
https://princeoftravel.com/blog/big-...-mini-rtws-now

Vaguswarrior Jul 15, 2019 10:45 am

Originally Posted by asovse1 (Post 31305733)
There's a DP from a blog that the old routing rules will be grandfathered if you need to make routing changes from Sept. 1 @Vaguswarrior

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/big-...-mini-rtws-now

Wonderful! Thank you for the update!

eigenvector Jul 15, 2019 11:02 am

End of an era. Glad I just burned my last 150K miles.

canadiancow Jul 15, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 31305841)
End of an era. Glad I just burned my last 150K miles.

Interesting attitude. The negative changes are called out as "temporary" for "system upgrades", and the fee waivers for SE are what certain members have always used to tout why UA is better.

As someone who's only used two stopovers once, and one of them was only 36 hours, I'm extremely pleased with these changes.

eigenvector Jul 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31306004)
Interesting attitude. The negative changes are called out as "temporary" for "system upgrades", and the fee waivers for SE are what certain members have always used to tout why UA is better.

As someone who's only used two stopovers once, and one of them was only 36 hours, I'm extremely pleased with these changes.

There's certainly some positive changes, but as someone who doesn't accumulate a huge amount of award miles I don't book a lot of award tickets - just high-value ones. To me, losing mini-RTW in J for 150K vs. saving $25 on refunding a ticket is more of a downgrade than an upgrade. This has long been one of the distinguishing features of the Aeroplan program.

As for the changes being temporary, we've all seen 'temporary IT issues' (e.g. phantom inventory, some carriers being blocked on AE) drag on for years without resolution. I'm not holding out much hope for the old stopover rules ever being restored - in the current Aeroplan program or in the coming Air Canada one. Aeroplan had, to my knowledge, the most generous stopover rules of any *A program, and all that has been committed to in this announcement is that there will be stopovers in some form in the new program.

I've personally never seen a "new, more flexible" FF program launch that wasn't just marketing speak for devaluation. Kudos to AC if they manage it but I'm not holding my breath.

canadiancow Jul 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 31306099)
There's certainly some positive changes, but as someone who doesn't accumulate a huge amount of award miles I don't book a lot of award tickets - just high-value ones. To me, losing mini-RTW in J for 150K vs. saving $25 on refunding a ticket is more of a downgrade than an upgrade. This has long been one of the distinguishing features of the Aeroplan program.

As for the changes being temporary, we've all seen 'temporary IT issues' (e.g. phantom inventory, some carriers being blocked on AE) drag on for years without resolution. I'm not holding out much hope for the old stopover rules ever being restored - in the current Aeroplan program or in the coming Air Canada one. Aeroplan had, to my knowledge, the most generous stopover rules of any *A program, and all that has been committed to in this announcement is that there will be stopovers in some form in the new program.

I've personally never seen a "new, more flexible" FF program launch that wasn't just marketing speak for devaluation. Kudos to AC if they manage it but I'm not holding my breath.

I definitely agree with all that, but:

1. We know there are technical changes coming due to Amadeus
2. We can assume there's going to be an overhaul of other components of the system to relaunch under AC
3. They chose to use the word "temporary"

While obviously things can change, I have no doubt in my mind that their intent is for this to be temporary. Mark Nasr is a big fan of transparency (the announcement even mentions a 0.3% statistic, data that is completely unnecessary to share - it also mentions routing to Asia via Europe, which I'm surprised they'd be so willing to advertise), and I just can't see anyone under him putting out an intentionally false statement.

On another matter, I just realized SEs don't get the phone fee waived.

But we can book online for free, and then call for a free change. :p

asovse1 Jul 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Holding out to see how this affects intra-continental reward stopovers (North America) because the wording isn't too clear in my opinion/understanding:

Please note that, as today, for travel within the same continent (except for travel wholly within North America*), one open jaw is permitted but stopovers are not permitted.

* Travel wholly within North America includes:
  • Within Canada and Continental USA
  • Between Canada/Continental USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean

red highlight emphasis mine

So North America retains the stopover, per the existing terms and conditions (excerpt below)??

28.1. Travel within Canada or between Canada and the Continental USA (not including Hawaii/Puerto Rico): One stopover permitted in addition to the point of turn . One open jaw is permitted in lieu of the one stopover.

28.2. Between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean:

28.2.1. Rule for rewards containing only Air Canada flight: Two stopovers are permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of one stopover.

28.2.2. Rule for rewards containing a minimum of one flight on a Star Alliance partner other than Air Canada: One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in addition to the one stopover.

28.4. Intracontinental travel (travel within the same continent) except for travel within Canada/Continental USA, or between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean: Stopovers are not permitted. One open jaw is permitted.

One takeaway to speculate from today's release is that they're lumping in Can/USA48/Hawaii/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean as "North America" from the news release's bullet points. Not sure if the writer did that for convenience, a shakeup to "North America" as defined in the T&C is coming, or something else entirely. I'm just really confused!

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31306155)
On another matter, I just realized SEs don't get the phone fee waived.

But we can book online for free, and then call for a free change. :p

That's hilarious lol