Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2019 Aeroplan Reward Changes - one stop / open jaw

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Aeroplan Reward Changes - one stop / open jaw

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My read is that you can still have a stopover on a North American itinerary.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Colour me a bit cautious about the improvements on cancellations.

Yes, they are a benefit to the traveller whose plans change. But I fear the impact on availability, which is already very limited.

The new strategy for any member who sees a potentially desirable redemption (e.g. premium class availability long haul) is to grab it, and then spend the next 23 hours figuring out whether you can really fly it. So X1, I1, R1 and especially I2+ will be a state that will persist for a shorter time; they will be "checked out" library book style.

And for SE, the optimal strategy becomes to keep no miles in your account, to hold a portfolio of award tickets you might want to take, recycling them up to 2 hours before departure. (I recognize this is a bit extreme, since there are frictional and time costs.)

Historically, AP/AC have not been good at opening up additional reward availability from empty seats close to departure, and I've had a couple of experiences somewhat inconclusively leading me to believe that a cancelled/changed AP reservation down the line does not (ever? sometimes?) get returned to X or I inventory (or even N, R/P, ...) either. While not everyone will shift their behaviour towards the more optimal strategy above, I fear it won't take much to nudge availability lower overall.

So cynical, pre-coffee me concludes: AC gets to say 'look, we made x% of seats available for AP redemption', and then gets to sell them as J or Y when they get returned.
Clipper801, pilot007 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:12 am

I'm confused about the wording for the new stopover rules. If I have a roundtrip ticket with Hong Kong as my turn-around-point does that mean I can no longer have Tokyo as a stopover?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by Angusgor
I'm confused about the wording for the new stopover rules. If I have a roundtrip ticket with Hong Kong as my turn-around-point does that mean I can no longer have Tokyo as a stopover?
With the new rules, you can have 1x stopover (> 24 hours). So yes you could stopover in Tokyo.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:22 am

Yes, you still may.
It used to be two stopovers, or one stopover and one open jaw.
Now either one stopover or one open jaw. It's more restrictive.
As an example in your case, in the past, your may book YYZ-TYO, stopover, TYO-HKG, stopover and turnaround HKG-YVR stopover at YVR and then YVR-YYZ. You may also do YYZ-TYO, stopover, TYO-HKG, stopover, open jaw PVG-YYZ. Both itineraries will no longer be valid after 1st September 2019.

I am disappointed with the short notice although Aeroplan does not have to give advance notice according to their T&C. Most of us probably expect status quo until mid 2020 when AC takes over.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by montrealer
Historically, AP/AC have not been good at opening up additional reward availability from empty seats close to departure, and I've had a couple of experiences somewhat inconclusively leading me to believe that a cancelled/changed AP reservation down the line does not (ever? sometimes?) get returned to X or I inventory (or even N, R/P, ...) either. While not everyone will shift their behaviour towards the more optimal strategy above, I fear it won't take much to nudge availability lower overall. .....
Two of my dislikes about Aeroplan - one is that there is no surety the cancelled reward seat will be returned to inventory for others to book. The second one is the frustration to see more than a few empty seats when the door closes and yet Aeroplan refuses to release any redemption seat on that flight.
I am still not sure whether its AC or Aeroplan. One blames the other. AC asserts that they makes seats available in accordance with the contract with Aeroplan and Aeroplan would say no seat from AC. It's unlikely to get better with AC taking over Aeroplan next year.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clipper801
I am still not sure whether its AC or Aeroplan. One blames the other. AC asserts that they makes seats available in accordance with the contract with Aeroplan and Aeroplan would say no seat from AC. It's unlikely to get better with AC taking over Aeroplan next year.
No need to wait for next year, they are already one and the same thing. And to me it appears availability has actually improved.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Yes, you still may.
It used to be two stopovers, or one stopover and one open jaw.
Now either one stopover or one open jaw. It's more restrictive.
As an example in your case, in the past, your may book YYZ-TYO, stopover, TYO-HKG, stopover and turnaround HKG-YVR stopover at YVR and then YVR-YYZ. You may also do YYZ-TYO, stopover, TYO-HKG, stopover, open jaw PVG-YYZ. Both itineraries will no longer be valid after 1st September 2019.

I am disappointed with the short notice although Aeroplan does not have to give advance notice according to their T&C. Most of us probably expect status quo until mid 2020 when AC takes over.
Thanks... The new rules makes it sounds now I only get a stopover if I'm NOT traveling within the same continent. So on the way to Hong Kong if I had a stopover in YVR or SFO it'd be ok but not in TYO. Am I reading it wrong?

Furthermore, as of today travel within the same continent (except for travel wholly within North America) is limited to one open jaw, with no stopovers permitted.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I think I have this correct, someone please correct me if I’m wrong. I am planning a trip next July to Europe. There are 4 of us so J seats are a bit of a challenge. I need both an open jaw and a stop over. I plan to book as soon as the outbound is available and book a random return on an earlier date. (The ticket will be backwards). Once the return a want is available, I will call in and pay the change fee. I can book the original ticket in August but the change may occur in September, based on availability. I assume that Aeroplan will still allow this even if the change is made after September?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:02 am

I really hope Mini-RTW trips with 2 stopovers and 1 open jaw will become available again after the "temporary" pause.
Due to realistic time constraints (aka limited vacation time), I can't book Mini-RTW trips too often, but the stopovers are what distinguishes Aeroplan from the dozens of other loyalty programs out there.
It's good to see change/cancellation fees getting waived for SEs, as well as free cancellations within 24 hours of booking.
Not having a 24 hour window to cancel Aeroplan tickets after booking was very very very annoying.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You will not pay a change fee because you're SE.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:32 pm

Thanks... The new rules makes it sounds now I only get a stopover if I'm NOT traveling within the same continent. So on the way to Hong Kong if I had a stopover in YVR or SFO it'd be ok but not in TYO. Am I reading it wrong?
The way I read the new rule is either a stopover or an open jaw but not both.
If you stopover in TYO, you may not stopover again in YVR or SFO. You also may not open jaw to return from another city if you have already stopped over at TYO.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
No need to wait for next year, they are already one and the same thing. And to me it appears availability has actually improved.
I have to disagree that redemption availability has improved but let's just leave it at that.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I remember spending ~2 weeks researching the following mRTW ticket a number of years back in J.

SYD-YVR-YYC-YYZ-LGA[stopover]/JFK-WAW-AMS [open-jaw] ZRH-HKG-BKK-SYD

RIP
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:35 am

Shame. I've been a member for about 15 years, and collected about 350k points, most of which during a 2011-2014 hitch I was living in Asia coming and going to Canada a few times a year. Managed to do one mini RTW in J in 2015, YHZ-SYD with stopovers/turnaround in CAI, SIN, SYD, truly a trip of a lifetime for someone who rarely flies J. I was slowly accumulating points to do another in the next couple years, since I"m only about 30k away. Sadly, given that I only fly 1-2x a year, only for pleasure on my own dime, and the atrocious reward rates for non premium fares, the points gathering has been slow. So, as has happened so often since about 2014 or so, I'll have to relegate myself to a slightly worse deal.

I do feel a little misled from the program I signed up for all those years ago. Must be nice to be able to unilaterally change the game's rules, explicitly to your net benefit, after the game has started.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.