Bogus AC charge on my Visa Account

Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
@Sopwith, sorry to hear abut this but thanks as always for the great post. (I love listening to calls with AC even if vicariously through others. ). At least AC gave you some info.

Better than the email notification is the one that pops up on my phone because I have my AX in Wallet/Apple Pay. So, if someone somehow uses my card # for a purchase that gets approved by AX and it wasn't me who made the purchase, I will see it. Is it perfect, no but it's better than the nothing that most other bank cards offer.

And that is one reason why AX gets my business - especially for travel and airline and hotel purchases

As you noted, this is exactly what appears on the AX statement. Below this info is the ticket number and name of passenger.

IF AMEX reverses the charges (which is common with fraud) then the entire transaction becomes invisible and you get no details.

As the OP did not have the transaction reversed but a credit issued that suggests there was something "special" about this case such as it being done by AC instead of the bank.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Fiordland
IF AMEX reverses the charges (which is common with fraud) then the entire transaction becomes invisible and you get no details.

As the OP did not have the transaction reversed but a credit issued that suggests there was something "special" about this case such as it being done by AC instead of the bank.
Ah, interesting.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you have the ticket number and especially also the name, you should be able to search and see the ticket and PNR, no? Does AC allow you to search for tickets/itineraries by credit card number? It would be interesting to see the travel dates and destination as well as other details such as fare class.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
So just to clarify, it was AC who said that someone had purchased a ticket using my card. Then they issued a refund a week later. When someone charges thousand of dollars (yes, thousands) to my account and then reverses the transaction without even telling me, I think I’m entitled to an explanation.

I’m afraid it’s just not my nature to accept crap like, “We can’t tell you” in these types of situations. It just sets me off.

When I called Visa they seemed to have no idea that there had been an irregular transaction. The account showed a charge and then a few days later a credit. This could be quite normal. But since I said that the transaction was not mine and I didn’t recognize the name on the ticket, we agreed that the card should be canceled. Here we go again, fifth or sixth time my card has been compromised in some way, usually without a satisfactory explanation.

Now I will confess to being from the old school, where we cannot just shrug these things off and think, “We’ll, you got a refund, didn’t you? What’s the big deal?” The big deal is that the reason credit card fraud is so rampant is that too many people and too many corporations are inclined to simply accept it as part of life and part of doing business. The big deal is that the next time this woman plays her game it might be you that gets hit, and AC may not have the intellect to catch it that time, in which case at best you’ll have a big hassle on your hands, and at worst you’ll get stiffed with some or all of the cost because you can’t prove it was a bogus transaction.

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable to expect a modicum of accountability on the part of AC and Visa.
Twickenham and bchandler02 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A charge of that magnitude could cause trouble for someone close to the credit limit on the card. I'm surprised that VISA didn't offer an immediate temporary credit until the AC credit posts to your account. Also, you shouldn't be charged interest on the amount in the interim.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A charge of that magnitude could cause trouble for someone close to the credit limit on the card. I'm surprised that VISA didn't offer an immediate temporary credit until the AC credit posts to your account. Also, you shouldn't be charged interest on the amount in the interim.
Another issue with charge & refund vs cancelling the original transaction is that if the charge is in a foreign currency (as airline tickets often are), the refunded amount in CAD will certainly differ from the originally charged amount.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Your card has been compromised 5-6 times - in what time period are we talking here?

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Another issue with charge & refund vs cancelling the original transaction is that if the charge is in a foreign currency (as airline tickets often are), the refunded amount in CAD will certainly differ from the originally charged amount.
​​​​​​​Then you dispute the whole thing with your bank to get any discrepancies sorted
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Sopwith
So just to clarify, it was AC who said that someone had purchased a ticket using my card. Then they issued a refund a week later. When someone charges thousand of dollars (yes, thousands) to my account and then reverses the transaction without even telling me, I think I’m entitled to an explanation.

I’m afraid it’s just not my nature to accept crap like, “We can’t tell you” in these types of situations. It just sets me off.

When I called Visa they seemed to have no idea that there had been an irregular transaction. The account showed a charge and then a few days later a credit. This could be quite normal. But since I said that the transaction was not mine and I didn’t recognize the name on the ticket, we agreed that the card should be canceled. Here we go again, fifth or sixth time my card has been compromised in some way, usually without a satisfactory explanation.

Now I will confess to being from the old school, where we cannot just shrug these things off and think, “We’ll, you got a refund, didn’t you? What’s the big deal?” The big deal is that the reason credit card fraud is so rampant is that too many people and too many corporations are inclined to simply accept it as part of life and part of doing business. The big deal is that the next time this woman plays her game it might be you that gets hit, and AC may not have the intellect to catch it that time, in which case at best you’ll have a big hassle on your hands, and at worst you’ll get stiffed with some or all of the cost because you can’t prove it was a bogus transaction.

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable to expect a modicum of accountability on the part of AC and Visa.
The reality is on the dark web you can go to e-commerce sites that sell credit card numbers that have been stolen. You can specify region, type of card, premium or not that is where the hacks sell the fruits of their labour. There is nothing any individual can do about this on our own. These come from data breaths into large retail systems or small ones. Dejardins in 2019, Bell Canada, Cathy Pacific, British Airways, Marriott Hotels, Orbiz in 2018.

The credit card companies can run analytics across these fraudulent transactions and figure this stuff out. If they see a large number of cards that now need to be canceled and they all appear to be from people who stayed at a certain hotel location, or used a certain shop then they know where to go looking for the problem.

I think credit card companies and banks do care and are doing lots of things behind the scenes but they also want their customers to not have a care in the world.

AC acting independently of the banks to address this is interesting.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Credit card security

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
On credit cards that offer it, I have it configured to send me an email for any charge made against it. Saved me twice in the past. Wish all my cards had that feature.
some credit card send a notification to your phone within seconds of a charge
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Beano
I get a text on my phone along these lines
*A charge of $1500 was made with merchant name to credit card ending in 12345. If this wasn't you please click link to dispute it. Very easy to setup text alerts.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:58 am

I don't understand why Air Canada won't release the name of the fraudster if your card was used to pay his ticket? In my opinion the funder of the ticket should have full access to the ticket jjdt like the passenger except for the Global Entry or FF a Co nt info

I hope you gef if resolved.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
AC does not owe the card holder an explanation when they decide to play detective. When your credit card has a fraudulent charge the appropriate contact is with the card issuer. They are the ones who can sort the matter out. Other than satisfying an overly curious nature what difference does it make if you know the name of the person who used your card illegally?
RangerNS likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Fiordland
The reality is on the dark web you can go to e-commerce sites that sell credit card numbers that have been stolen. You can specify region, type of card, premium or not that is where the hacks sell the fruits of their labour. There is nothing any individual can do about this on our own. These come from data breaths into large retail systems or small ones. Dejardins in 2019, Bell Canada, Cathy Pacific, British Airways, Marriott Hotels, Orbiz in 2018.

The credit card companies can run analytics across these fraudulent transactions and figure this stuff out. If they see a large number of cards that now need to be canceled and they all appear to be from people who stayed at a certain hotel location, or used a certain shop then they know where to go looking for the problem.

I think credit card companies and banks do care and are doing lots of things behind the scenes but they also want their customers to not have a care in the world.

AC acting independently of the banks to address this is interesting.
And those dark web numbers cost at most $50. Rarely would they end up directly in the hands of end users. Granting shame on those buying impossibly sweet deals, none of the players are playing wack-a-mole against the masses buying one-off tickets from fraudulent OTAs. (Buying 3 may be the threshold beyond what is tolerable/excusable).

There isn't anything for you to do here OP. It makes as much sense as trying to solve the illicit drug trade by yelling at a junkie on the corner. Junkie don't care. Cops don't care. Cartel don't care.
24left likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Beano
@Beano
Also see post 15 upthread
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sopwith

You are still shooting at the wrong target. To me it's amazing that AC did a better job at fraud detection than the bank. As to providing you an explanation, I understand that you would like that. But I don't see why there should be an obligation for them; they refunded so what needed to be done they did. There might also be a freedom of information issue. OTOH, your credit card issuer does not come terribly pretty out of this. THey should be able to do a better job at identifying fraud attempts But also, if your card gets regularly compromised there might be a case for figuring out how or why. Could be some outfit you patronize where someone collects CC information?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.