Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Expert Flyer showing Upgrade Availability but Aeroplan is not, what's up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Expert Flyer showing Upgrade Availability but Aeroplan is not, what's up?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive, AMEX MR
Angry Expert Flyer showing Upgrade Availability but Aeroplan is not, what's up?

I just booked two tickets in Y Class (ZHR to YYZ) for July 30th, 2019. Expert Flyer is showing 5 seats available for upgrade via Aeroplan points from Y to P but when I go through the process on Aeroplan I get an "Upgrade not available" message.

What gives?

Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrade from Y to P? Star Alliance upgrades require regular Aeroplan awards to be available, not P...
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Dangit so I guess the wording on Expert Flyer needs to be changed because they current verbiage indicates that this type of search will identify available points upgrades, separate from Aeroplan award availability.

Good thing the ticket class is 100% refundable. I can keep looking for alternatives.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Usually P is not much more than full Y. Often cheaper actually.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Not in this case. AC's website shows that a Biz tickets STARTS at $10k.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Stranger
Usually P is not much more than full Y. Often cheaper actually.
Agree.

Originally Posted by bennyg2
Today is July 13. The date you are showing on your EF page is July 30. That is 2 weeks away and the height of summer flying season. $10K is not completely insane.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's because the date is pretty close. TP and Lot are much cheaper. But of course that entails a connection.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
Agree.

Today is July 13. The date you are showing on your EF page is July 30. That is 2 weeks away and the height of summer flying season. $10K is not completely insane.
I agree it’s not insane. Just not what I want / can spend and I was hoping that Expert flyer was correct.

I’ve got alerts setup for Frankfurt, LHR and a few others to Yyz and YUL. Hopefully there are some last minute award seats released.

I also bid on upgrades just to hedge.

I appreciate everyone’s help clearing this up. Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Keep trying daily; I managed to snag a Star Alliance Upgrade Award recently using Aeroplan points, albeit for a different airline. I had been trying for over a week, and suddenly instead of the "upgrade not available" red text, I saw "available for upgrade".
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:40 pm

Dangit so I guess the wording on Expert Flyer needs to be changed because they current verbiage indicates that this type of search will identify available points upgrades, separate from Aeroplan award availability.

Good thing the ticket class is 100% refundable. I can keep looking for alternatives.
From what you posted the wording doesn’t need to be changed, you’re just not interpreting it correctly. International upgrades from O/Y/B appears to be referencing upgrades utilizing eUpgrade credits, not points. For a SAUA (ie points upgrade) award inventory needs to be available. Set up an EF alert for award seats and try again.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for clarifying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.