Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

No show on first leg of basic ticket - return forfeited?

No show on first leg of basic ticket - return forfeited?

Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
So all I can say is do your research when booking. Sometimes a round-trip, even within North America, is cheaper. Sometimes it isn't.
Hear, hear!

For years, you could get very reasonably priced one-ways YHZ-LHR, but not LHR-YHZ. I have no idea why.

Last time I checked, AC had abandoned that practice. Oneways had become very expensive in both directions.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by canadiancow
At the risk of getting even more off-topic, YYZ-SFO-YYZ is (or maybe "was", but the fares still look the same) significantly cheaper than either SFO-YYZ-SFO or two one-ways. Needless to say, I have:
SFO-YYZ
YYZ-SFO-YYZ
YYZ-SFO-YYZ
YYZ-SFO

I didn't investigate the exact cause of this. I know there are certain tax issues with "Canada within ~100 miles of the border" to US flights, as well as other implications. But the savings were significant enough that I booked non-sensible round-trips for three treks to Toronto.

So all I can say is do your research when booking. Sometimes a round-trip, even within North America, is cheaper. Sometimes it isn't.
So, a potential reason for this is that when you buy SFOYYZ R/T, you book it using fares sold in SFO (even for the return portion). So there might be a discounted fare published for SFOYYZ but not YYZSFO. Booking two one ways means you miss out on the discount for the return.

This is the most likely reason if there's no PROS availability shenanigans, and difference is higher than taxes.

I think the Eastern Canada to FL fares can have this quite often. Many times with the lower fares ex FL.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
So, a potential reason for this is that when you buy SFOYYZ R/T, you book it using fares sold in SFO (even for the return portion). So there might be a discounted fare published for SFOYYZ but not YYZSFO. Booking two one ways means you miss out on the discount for the return.

This is the most likely reason if there's no PROS availability shenanigans, and difference is higher than taxes.

I think the Eastern Canada to FL fares can have this quite often. Many times with the lower fares ex FL.
You're correct. The SFO-YYZ ow fare is $638, whereas YYZ-SFO is $488 (both USD).

But again, the point is to check. If you're departing YYZ, it's easy. If you're departing SFO, two one-ways is cheaper than a round-trip. If you can plan multiple trips together, booking two one-ways and some reverse round-trips between them is much cheaper.

And I'm pretty sure this isn't the nefarious nested/back-to-back ticketing the airlines don't like, since no fare rules are being circumvented.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
not possible

Originally Posted by 172pilot
Just call AC and cancel the first leg. For a basic fare you forfeit the fare. For Standard fares and above you get a credit. For domestic fares there are no return requirements. Ie. the return leg wont be repriced. There are no cancellation fees. AC only charges change fees when you actually use the credit. There will be no credit for a basic fare anyway.

I did did the last year for my son. 5 minute call to AC.
Its impossible to make a 5 mn call to AC. The wait time alone adds + 50 mn.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: *$ Green
🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's kind of sad
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Its impossible to make a 5 mn call to AC. The wait time alone adds + 50 mn.
It looks like 172pilot may have been SE when s/he made that call.

So if you're not SE, it's hardly ever a short wait... perhaps short at 3:49AM call centre time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.