Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan website blocking access over VPN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

It looks Aeroplan subscribes to a service that blocks connections routed over certain known VPN endpoints from accessing aeroplan.com. I got the following error today when trying to navigate to aeroplan using NordVPN. I often use VPN while traveling while on untrusted networks (hotels, airports, coffee shops, etc.) to secure my browsing. Seems weird that I wouldn't be able to access Aeroplan this way. Anyone else had issues like this?

Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can access aeroplan.com fine through my home VPN (openVPN) or through my employer's one (forticlient). So issue must be related to the specific VPN you are using. Might be related to their configuration, or a security issue associated with some of their customers perhaps?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Stranger
I can access aeroplan.com fine through my home VPN (openVPN) or through my employer's one (forticlient). So issue must be related to the specific VPN you are using. Might be related to their configuration, or a security issue associated with some of their customers perhaps?
Hmm, after making this post I tried switching to a different endpoint of the same VPN service and got through so you're right, it may just be that one of their servers has been flagged and Aeroplan isn't actively trying to block VPN. Still weird though as this is the first time I've ever seen a blockpage like this and I've been doing most of my browsing through various VPN services for ~5 years.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Hmm, after making this post I tried switching to a different endpoint of the same VPN service and got through so you're right, it may just be that one of their servers has been flagged and Aeroplan isn't actively trying to block VPN. Still weird though as this is the first time I've ever seen a blockpage like this and I've been doing most of my browsing through various VPN services for ~5 years.
Actually I have had issues with Aeroplan, imperva and incapsula before. However these eem to have been fixed. I posted about this in February: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30750713-post4694.html
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC 100K
Don't know about VPNs specifically but a while back I found that the website helpfully pre selects your country using geolocation. And if you're connecting from a country where you can't use the online website to purchase tickets you get a pop-up warning and can't move on. Can't check flight status, view bookings nothing. I had to VPN back to our office in Canada to get it to work. Pretty pathetic user experience.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I use Express VPN for access while in China, and have no issues with reaching AE.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:09 pm

Aeroplan has no idea you're using a VPN, it's transparent.

All a VPN does is make your Internet connection to route through a different network, as if you were physically somewhere else.

The reason you're being blocked is likely due to fraudulent activity being detected coming from the VPNs IP address.
DrunkCargo and jc94 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.