Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 18 TPE-YVR delayed 18 hours 08 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 18 TPE-YVR delayed 18 hours 08 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Even many of those who are revenue business passengers are flying on heavily-discounted fares - there's a reason people fly for leisure up front several times per year. The route is rumoured to be under scrutiny for discontinuation.
I hope not.. I have flown that route multiple time in the past year. Guess I was one of the lucky ones with no real delays.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
To rub salt in AC's performance wounds on this route, the BR and CI reliability is like clockwork, and they regularly taxi out line astern in the wee hours of the morning and chase each other nose-to-tail all the way to Taiwan.
On top of that, they do it at a better price point. Every time I look at TPACs from YYZ, BR is consistenly 2/3 the price or better.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
On top of that, they do it at a better price point. Every time I look at TPACs from YYZ, BR is consistenly 2/3 the price or better.
Can't agree with you there. I have had some great J fares YYZ-YVR-TPE that BR can't match. Having said that I just did a quick check and yes the AC fare in J was ridiculous...but there have been some great bargains in the past.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Can't agree with you there. I have had some great J fares YYZ-YVR-TPE that BR can't match. Having said that I just did a quick check and yes the AC fare in J was ridiculous...but there have been some great bargains in the past.
I've never been a big fan of adding waypoints to my trips. That might change, but I am good with the direct routes for now. And based on those to SEA, EVA has consistenly 2/3 the price (give or take a bit).

Now if I could figure out how some people get these really nice deals with possibly a stop in-between.....
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
YVR-TPE is 12h15m yet AC doesn't put in a 4th pilot (I know other airlines use 12h as the cutoff point) so when someone is ill at an outstation there are no other solutions. US carriers can short their flights to HNL or West Coast in order to fly <12h when 4 pilots become 3.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
YVR-TPE is 12h15m yet AC doesn't put in a 4th pilot (I know other airlines use 12h as the cutoff point) so when someone is ill at an outstation there are no other solutions. US carriers can short their flights to HNL or West Coast in order to fly <12h when 4 pilots become 3.
Im February I talked to a pilot on my flight to TPE and asked if they were coming back on my return the next day. He said yes, but unfortunately as a passenger due to a brand new policy. AC technically required one less pilot on the return due to lower block time. So AC saves a $ by flying a roundtrip with a mismatched # of pilots.

I replied with a quote from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation: "Well, of all the cheap,lousy ways to save a buck! That's pretty low, mister."
pilot007 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by expert7700
Im February I talked to a pilot on my flight to TPE and asked if they were coming back on my return the next day. He said yes, but unfortunately as a passenger due to a brand new policy. AC technically required one less pilot on the return due to lower block time. So AC saves a $ by flying a roundtrip with a mismatched # of pilots.
Wouldn't this mean one less J seat to sell? I'm assuming they don't make the extra pilot hide in the jump seat or the crew rest for the entire flight...

I flew UA IAD-ZRH and it was blocked for 7h45m. Announcement indicated 3 pilots. Why? ZRH-IAD required so. But even eastbound they have this factor called "night" and it's not wise to make 2 pilots fly 6h55m that time of the day.

Well AC had proven twice how tired pilots could be landing YYZ-SFO at 2-3 am ET.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.