AC randomly changing seats

Old Jul 3, 19, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, AA*EXP, VA-Plat, Marriott*LTPP, Hyatt*Globalist That's*Enough
AC randomly changing seats

At T-24 checked-in and selected row 19. It's not preferred or anything, and I had a seat open next to me. Holding a mobile boarding pass.

Now I'm row 24 and I'm in a less desirable seat.

I know seat assignments aren't guaranteed - but why would AC do this - no equipment change?

Last edited by shuuy; Jul 3, 19 at 10:48 pm
Old Jul 3, 19, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by shuuy View Post
At T-24 checked-in and selected row 19. It's not preferred or anything, and I had a seat open next to me. Holding a mobile boarding pass.

I know seat assignments aren't guaranteed - but why would AC do this - no equipment change?

You are not the only one. It could be any number of reasons. What is your route and aircraft?

June 2018
Air Canada Randomly Changes My Seats

Dec 2016
Any recourse if moved from preferred seats
Old Jul 4, 19, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

@shuuy

As per @24left this happens from time to time even without IRROPs/FIN swaps/etc.

Was someone else occupied in your original row 19 seat? (if not, maybe the seat was broken or it has cooties)

And how do you know for sure there wasn't an equipment change?

As per @24left which route, flight number, aircraft, and date of flight? (today? since you said "now" and T-24 checkin)
Old Jul 4, 19, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, AA*EXP, VA-Plat, Marriott*LTPP, Hyatt*Globalist That's*Enough
It’s SYD-YVR. Pretty confident it’s the same equipment...

When calling an agent their response was “we can’t see anything unless you cancel your check-in”
@gate it was "they had to sit a family of 3 next to each other". Although it doesn't look like a family when I walk by.

Spoiled in Australia by QF...

Last edited by shuuy; Jul 4, 19 at 8:22 pm
Old Jul 4, 19, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC50 MM
I've been very impressed with QF in both econ and business. I particularity liked the innovative menu in Biz . Who would have thought there was an alternative to omelette/sausage/salsa!
In Econ good food and drinks were offered even for the short flight between MEL and SYD. That's what competition does.
shuuy likes this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Its SYD-YVR. Pretty confident its the same equipment...

When calling an agent their response was we cant see anything unless you cancel your check-in
@gate it was "they had to sit a family of 3 next to each other". Although it doesn't look like a family when I walk by.

Originally Posted by tomvancouver View Post
I've been very impressed with QF in both econ and business. I particularity liked the innovative menu in Biz . Who would have thought there was an alternative to omelette/sausage/salsa!
In Econ good food and drinks were offered even for the short flight between MEL and SYD. That's what competition does.
Heck, I even thought VA domestic was good.

@shuuy
What you described is common (seating a family "together" and sacrificing a singleton for it). Sorry to hear that happened.

But just to note, a metal swap can also mean to the same aircraft type but different FIN - and occasionally this can even result in seat changes (especially when the cabin seating configs are not identical from one FIN to another, even if the same metal type).
Old Jul 5, 19, 2:53 pm

It happens. In April for me, YVR-YYZ, PY, went from window middle row to bulkhead window, changed about 48hrs out. Asked at check-in, met with blank stare. Person in my old seat had SE tags hanging from carry-on. Coincidence?
Old Jul 5, 19, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by purelywasted View Post
It happens. In April for me, YVR-YYZ, PY, went from window middle row to bulkhead window, changed about 48hrs out. Asked at check-in, met with blank stare. Person in my old seat had SE tags hanging from carry-on. Coincidence?
Not a coincidence. Thanks for the seat.

J/K...I only steal aisle seats.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: