Wiki Posts
Search

NYC - Better to land at LGA or EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K
NYC - Better to land at LGA or EWR

I have a few meetings coming up in NYC from August to October. The location is in midtown so based on google maps a Taxi from either airport would take about 25-30 minutes. So in terms of speed of going through security which airport would be more convenient for AC flights?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Not sure what security you mean, for you return? From where?

If you are flying into LGA/EWR from YYZ or a few others (YUL and YVR possibly), you clear immigration in Canada. So there's no immigration or security on the NYC end. If terms of which has less traffic I imagine it depends on time of day. Flying out both EWR and LGA are pretty much a disaster. Also getting to them from I assume Manhattan (by midtown) 25-30 mins seems somewhat optimistic but again 3am Sunday vs 9am Monday is going to differ substantially.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by jc94

If you are flying into LGA/EWR from YYZ or a few others (YUL and YVR possibly), you clear immigration in Canada. So there's no immigration or security on the NYC end. If terms of which has less traffic I imagine it depends on time of day. Flying out both EWR and LGA are pretty much a disaster. Also getting to them from I assume Manhattan (by midtown) 25-30 mins seems somewhat optimistic but again 3am Sunday vs 9am Monday is going to differ substantially.
Thanks yes security for the return so in NYC. I know both are bad, just curious which is least painful usually.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Eternity000
Thanks yes security for the return so in NYC. I know both are bad, just curious which is least painful usually.
It comes down to service recovery (just assume you'll depend on it).

LGA has a larger AC footprint/staff/frequency, and is mostly mainline.
LGA has the new MLL and AC gates in the new section.
EWR is QK.

I'd personally go with LGA. Just my 2c.
shuuy, ffsim and elenea86 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jc94

Eh no kidding. Although I find that LGA tends to have worse traffic heading into town at all hours (whereas EWR only truly sucks at peak times). EWR has train direct to Penn Station however which is a big plus if your meetings are anywhere near by and you are traveling light.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by ridefar
Eh no kidding. Although I find that LGA tends to have worse traffic heading into town at all hours (whereas EWR only truly sucks at peak times). EWR has train direct to Penn Station however which is a big plus if your meetings are anywhere near by and you are traveling light.
Yes based on meetings I assumed business trip but if one is paying, the $14 (I think?) train from EWR is much cheaper than a taxi. Faster however ... well I tried taking it once (Saturday afternoon) and it was about an hour wait for the train, then the train was massively delayed and standing room only. Combined with the fact that I flew AC so also got in about 1-2 hours late I ended up missing my (personal) meet up with a friend completely.

As others have hinted at or stated, expect things to go wrong.

Also as you are 'only' E50k as far as I can see, consider OMW.
YOWCDNFF likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Really depends on exactly where in the midtown area. EWR traffic is more predictable as others stated. If business is in west side of Manhattan then definitely recommend EWR.
LGA sucks right now with all the construction and taxi lines can be 2 hour wait at times.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Really depends on exactly where in the midtown area. EWR traffic is more predictable as others stated. If business is in west side of Manhattan then definitely recommend EWR.
LGA sucks right now with all the construction and taxi lines can be 2 hour wait at times.
2 hour wait for a taxi? Really?

I got stressed with a 10 minute wait at Macau earlier this year. Hate to think what would happen if I had to stand around 2 hours waiting for a taxi.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg

I got stressed with a 10 minute wait at Macau earlier this year. Hate to think what would happen if I had to stand around 2 hours waiting for a taxi.
ouch.... faster to take M60 and then Line 6/7 subway at Astoria or 125th/Lexington.....gets me into town in approx 90 mins?

Good thing w EWR is you have a train (after the airtrain) that takes you into NYP...... You have the option of NJT or prebuy an Amtrak ticket. Also bus on 495 has its own lane leaving Lincoln tunnel into PABT.... at times they have bus lanes into as well.

Last edited by global happy traveller; Jul 3, 2019 at 4:38 pm
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:44 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by mapleg

Try YVR some days.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Public transportation is the way to go at LGA, especially with all of the constructions happening.

Q70-SBS to E train - one-stop after airport exit - you can get to Manhattan within 20 minutes. I have done it, but of course had no wait on the bus or the subway.

And LGA > EWR if you are flying AC from YYZ or YUL.

Originally Posted by global happy traveller
ouch.... faster to take M60 and then Line 6/7 subway at Astoria or 125th/Lexington.....gets me into town in approx 90 mins?

Good thing w EWR is you have a train (after the airtrain) that takes you into NYP...... You have the option of NJT or prebuy an Amtrak ticket. Also bus on 495 has its own lane leaving Lincoln tunnel into PABT.... at times they have bus lanes into as well.
Line 6/7? You can't transfer either at Astoria or Lex/125th. Astoria is N/W train (the station is closed until December btw). Lex/125th is 4/5 train.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: China Eastern
I personally recommend EWR if your location is in midtown, NJ transit has service to EWR every 30 minutes and it takes about 20 mins on the train and 5 mins on the shuttle. You can arrive at EWR within 45 mins in most cases. LGA however, largely rely on ground transportation, with unexpected congestions and unreliable MTA services it is very likely to miss the flight if you leave your place right on time.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:58 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Be aware NJ Transit can be extremely crowded during peak hours, the capacity of Air Train is tiny, the turnstiles between NJT and Air Train is also a bottleneck where you can be delayed a few minutes. I highly recommend downloading the NJ transit app and buy ticket on your phone.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
For midtown, I've come to favor the bus over the train from EWR. You get on the bus immediately outside of an arrivals terminal. It is express, so only 3 stops in midtown: Port Authority bus terminal, Bryant Park/NYPL, and near Grand Central Terminal. The airtrain seems maddeningly slow then you have to wait for the NJ Transit train and it isn't so convenient with luggage and you won't get a seat if busy.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: status-free
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Public transportation is the way to go at LGA, especially with all of the constructions happening.
Q70-SBS to E train - one-stop after airport exit - you can get to Manhattan within 20 minutes. I have done it, but of course had no wait on the bus or the subway.
And LGA > EWR if you are flying AC from YYZ or YUL.
+1. With the added bonus, depending on your luggage and mood, of very good street food around your transfer point in Queens (76th/broadway station). And on the return trip, a decent new MLL at LGA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.