Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Announces Increased Capacity and Enhanced Services to Atlantic Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...810037185.html

MONTREAL, July 3, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced a host of enhancements to Atlantic Canada services starting this winter. Overall capacity will increase by 8% as some routes will transfer to Air Canada Rouge, and other Air Canada Rouge and mainline services will be extended to year-round.

"Leisure travellers and business customers alike will benefit from these service enhancements which clearly demonstrate our commitment to these markets as we increase capacity on numerous routes in Atlantic Canada, which we have been serving year-round since 1942, longer than any other carrier," said Mark Galardo, Vice President of Network Planning at Air Canada. "With the introduction of Air Canada Rouge service to Saint John, NB, the extension of Rouge on Charlottetown-Toronto and the expansion of Halifax-Calgary flights to year-round service, Atlantic Canada will enjoy an improved product and convenient connections throughout Air Canada's extensive North American and global network."

"Air Canada has been a valued partner for many years," said Saint John Airport President and CEO Derrick Stanford. "Their decision to enhance YSJ's current offering with bigger aircraft will mean more capacity, business-class service and faster flight times to connection banks like Toronto, something our business passengers have come to depend on. We look forward to working together to serve the Saint John community for many years to come."

"We are very pleased with Air Canada's announcement today of Air Canada Rouge service in Charlottetown for Winter 2019/2020. These larger Air Canada Rouge jets will offer added capacity on the Charlottetown-Toronto route and is a direct response to demand in the PEI market in the winter time", said Doug Newson, CEO of the Charlottetown Airport Authority. "This will result in more travel options for Islanders and those wishing to visit or do business here. The increased capacity to and from Air Canada's Toronto hub also means Islanders have more options to connect to Air Canada's extensive global network."

Beginning October 27, 2019, twice daily Saint John-Toronto flights will be operated year-round by Air Canada Rouge using an Airbus A319, replacing the Bombardier Q400s. This represents a 16% increase in available seats, while also offering an upgraded customer experience on the A319 which features Premium Rouge and Economy cabins, as well as streaming in-flight entertainment.

Air Canada operates out of four airports in New Brunswick with roughly 1,600 daily seats available for travellers. Also continuing year-round will be Air Canada Rouge service from Toronto to Moncton (three times a day) and Fredericton (twice a day), also operated by an Airbus A319, representing a 16% capacity increase through the winter season.

Charlottetown-Toronto flights operated by Air Canada Rouge in the summer will become year-round service as of December 16, 2019, with two daily flights operated with an Airbus A319. Air Canada offers nonstop flights from Charlottetown to Halifax, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto.

Air Canada is also adding a second daily flight between Gander, NL and Halifax during the winter season. Flights between Halifax and Gander will be operated year-round on the Bombardier Q400.

From Halifax, Air Canada mainline will operate year-round non-stop service to Calgary on an Airbus A319 beginning March 1, 2020.

Air Canada also recently inaugurated non-stop service between Montreal and Sydney, Nova Scotia, for the summer season.

All flights provide for Aeroplan accumulation and redemption, Star Alliance reciprocal benefits and, for eligible customers, priority check-in, Maple Leaf Lounge access, priority boarding and other benefits.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: AC 35k
While many will see this as an upgauge (it might be), the frequencies will be lower, and now we have Rouge serving domestic operations year round. Gross.
sokolov likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I vaguely recall (?) someone here shaming and blaming AC for ignoring their "obligations" in serving YHZ/Atlantic Canada? How dare AC!
Santander likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I vaguely recall (?) someone here shaming and blaming AC for ignoring their "obligations" in serving YHZ/Atlantic Canada? How dare AC!
Said poster believed AC was obligated to provide cheap service from YHZ or wherever directly to LHR. He/she will still be pi$$ed off even after this announcement. YYC is a poor substitute for LHR.
Auto Enthusiast and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ridefar
Said poster believed AC was obligated to provide cheap service from YHZ or wherever directly to LHR. He/she will still be pi$$ed off even after this announcement. YYC is a poor substitute for LHR.
And a second daily to YQX. You're right, AC needs to meet their moral and heavenly obligations to serve YHZ better.

The AC doth underserves YHZ too much!

I like these additions as some of my occasional AC travel requires the Atlantic region.
wrp96 and marke190 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
I bet the employees/passengers at these small airports in NB and PEI won't be thrilled about having year round service with these larger aircraft that seem to be too big for the terminals.

It's surprising that YUL-YYT managed to survive this round of permanent rouging.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by marke190
I bet the employees/passengers at these small airports in NB and PEI won't be thrilled about having year round service with these larger aircraft that seem to be too big for the terminals.

It's surprising that YUL-YYT managed to survive this round of permanent rouging.
I remember that one of my last DC9 flight was YQM-YYZ, and this would have been in the "old" terminal. Some of these cities were probably covered by larger aircrafts at some point, before being downsized to RJs or turboprops (at least from YYZ - maybe not so much from YUL). My understanding is that the Q400 is not proving to be that economical on longer routes so makes sense to put a higher density A319.

Now, the next announcements I am waiting for is Rouging out of YQB and YOW for winter routes. I spoke with an SD a few weeks ago that indicated that Rouge is planning major expansions out of these two markets. Will be interesting to see as well if using Rouge to these Atlantic Canada airports may also lead to a few "sun destinations" flights from these locations in the near future
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Year-round YYC-YHZ is terrific news on both ends - it strengthens YYC as a hub, and it provides YHZ a very useful red-eye.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
And a second daily to YQX. You're right, AC needs to meet their moral and heavenly obligations to serve YHZ better.

The AC doth underserves YHZ too much!

I like these additions as some of my occasional AC travel requires the Atlantic region.

Lol, of course this comes on the heels of WS pulling out of YQX again so an opportunity for AC perhaps.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I recently speculated that AC would continue replacing domestic mainline and express service with rouge, and was ridiculed for it. And now we see this. Guess I wasn't so off base after all.

I guess the phrase "AC Announces Increased Capacity and Enhanced Services" really does translate into "AC cuts frequency and downgrades still more routes to rouge." Keep watching, we'll see it happen again.
sokolov likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I recently speculated that AC would continue replacing domestic mainline and express service with rouge, and was ridiculed for it. And now we see this. Guess I wasn't so off base after all.

I guess the phrase "AC Announces Increased Capacity and Enhanced Services" really does translate into "AC cuts frequency and downgrades still more routes to rouge." Keep watching, we'll see it happen again.
It wasn't me ridiculing this. I too have been predicting it for years. The current MAX fiasco does make it very difficult however to disentangle how much of this is them trying to keep it together in the face of fleet chaos, and how much is their long term plan.
YOWCDNFF likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Symmetre

There were several here that first predicted this as soon as RV was launched. So at best you'll get a 172nd place coddle special snowflake ribbon.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
Now, the next announcements I am waiting for is Rouging out of YQB and YOW for winter routes. I spoke with an SD a few weeks ago that indicated that Rouge is planning major expansions out of these two markets. Will be interesting to see as well if using Rouge to these Atlantic Canada airports may also lead to a few "sun destinations" flights from these locations in the near future
You keep that S*** in the east, thanks
marke190 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
I remember that one of my last DC9 flight was YQM-YYZ, and this would have been in the "old" terminal...
My first ever flight was a DC9. Flew YSJ-YUL in the winter of 1975 to see the Habs play the Penguins at the Forum. I was 14.

Nice to see AC jet service returning to YSJ, even if it is ACr.
--
13F
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
You keep that S*** in the east, thanks
The west is not really any better, I've been through YYC a couple of times in the past month and was lamenting how jet service has been widely replaced by the Q400. No many jungle jets or CRJ routes. The ~2h30min Q400 flight to YZF that replaced the ~1h45min CRJ trip is a terrible downgrade for most of the year...perhaps an improvement for the few weeks a year when it's too cold for the CRJ or it can't handle the number of bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.